OT - Suribachi, what happened to the defenders?
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: OT - Suribachi, what happened to the defenders? Author: Skeet PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:36 am
    ----
Lot's of info on Iwo these days. Generally the story is presented like this:

Surbachi is honey-combed with tunnels and protected fighting positions.

Marines spend a couple of days and take lots of casualties getting the few hundred yards from the landing beaches to the base of Suribachi.

Then a fairly small patrol takes a path to the summit, shoots some bad guys, and take some pictures. Then they turn about and head toward the other end of the island.

OK....but what happened to all those baddies down in the tunnels on Suribachi?

#2: Re: OT - Suribachi, what happened to the defenders? Author: Skeet PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 12:58 pm
    ----
I googled my question, and learned that most of the defenses were at the base of the mountain. When those were taken (mostly before the patrol started to the top), most of the Japanese were dead.

www.nps.gov/archive/wa.../sec4a.htm

#3: Re: OT - Suribachi, what happened to the defenders? Author: LeeW PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 1:54 pm
    ----
I knew a guy that was in the platoon that went to the top. He mentioned that they (he and a few friends) returned to one of the caves they sealed up later on to look for souveneers. It may have been the one at the top of the mountain. When they unsealed it they found over 100 bodies.

#4: Re: OT - Suribachi, what happened to the defenders? Author: pineyLocation: Republic of Southern New Jersey PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 3:01 pm
    ----
Here is a link to the oral history account by one of the flag raisers. It gos into more detail. HTH

www.history.navy.mil/f...q87-3l.htm

Jef Lewis

#5: Re: OT - Suribachi, what happened to the defenders? Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 3:31 pm
    ----
Hi Sheet! Hi Folks!

- Skeet

OK....but what happened to all those baddies down in the tunnels on Suribachi?

They, for the most part, held their positions and died for their God, their country, and the honor of their family names.

General Kuribayashi had ordered his troops to not counterattack except in the case of tanks.

In the end, only 216 prisoners were taking out of a force of 20,000 defenders.

And now for some armored contect.

The defenders had 24 tanks and five anti-tank battallions.
Sgt, Scouts Out!

#6: Re: OT - Suribachi, what happened to the defenders? Author: Skeet PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 4:09 pm
    ----
I should have noted that the link I posted had some information on the use of armor there.

#7: Re: OT - Suribachi, what happened to the defenders? Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:56 am
    ----
Hi Folks!

Interesting report on Iwo Jima. It has been a while sense I read about that battle. This is the first time I have heard that a U.S. Army Infantry (145th) Division had moved in and replaced the VAC.

I guess the 216 prisoners I listed above is the number taken by the Marines before they left.

For those who have not read it, I would suggest Ed Gilbert's 'Marine Tank Battles in the Pacific' for a lot of details on the three tank battalions that were deployed there.
Sgt, Scouts Out!

#8: Re: OT - Suribachi, what happened to the defenders? Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:30 pm
    ----
- Roy_A_Lingle
Hi Folks!

Interesting report on Iwo Jima. It has been a while sense I read about that battle. This is the first time I have heard that a U.S. Army Infantry (145th) Division had moved in and replaced the VAC.

Roy I think you mean the 147th Infantry Regt. (Seperate) There were no Infantry Divisions above the 106th

#9: Re: OT - Suribachi, what happened to the defenders? Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:19 am
    ----
Hi Bob! Hi Folks!

- bsmart

- Roy_A_Lingle
Hi Folks!

Roy I think you mean the 147th Infantry Regt. (Seperate) There were no Infantry Divisions above the 106th

That was another alertness check to see if anyone was paying attention to my flub up! Well done Bob! You passed the test!

I guess I forgot who was writting that report. It is comman in the Marine Corps to refur to regiments by their number and the title Marines. As in 9th Marines is the 9th regiment of Marines. While the Army normally refurs to divisions by the number and type. As in the 106th Infantry is the 106th division of infantry. So when I saw the 147th Infantry, I forgot a Marine was writting that report.

No divisions above 106? I guess that explains why I had never heard of the 147th Infantry Division. Confused
Sgt, Scouts Out!

#10: Re: OT - Suribachi, what happened to the defenders? Author: SHAWN PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:48 am
    ----
wow, you put it in a nutshell...

by that 4th day of battle the island had been cut in two. the 5th was taking suribachi, the 4th and part of 5th were pushing up to the north, 3rd had been put ashore and was pushing up thru the center heading northward. reports put the mt. defenders at around 300, in isolated positions, with communications being cut off from each other and fom the main jap force on the north of the island.
roy had said it, the japs went out their way. suribachi is one big japenese burial mound...

-> AFV News Discussion Board