Howard 500 Updates VC Only
-> FS2004

#1: Howard 500 Updates VC Only Author: MiltonLocation: New Mexico PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:51 pm
    ----
The gauge smoothness in the Howard 500 with 9 vcockpit sections and many gauges (over 300) is rather lacking. Retirement from FS Design is a joy but I do have my "bored" moments. So, I decided to take a look at the Howard 500 to see what could be done to smooth out the gauges and came up with a nice solution.

I have now invested about 16 hours to improve the Howard 500 immensely in the VC area. Nine vcockpit sections reduced to three without sacrificing quality. So, for those of you who like and still fly the Howard 500, I have an update available for you on my site to try.

This update is for the hw500vc4 VC passenger and cargo versions only. I have also made the yoke "hideable" and optimized the models a bit more to help with FPS.

If you are interested, download, read the "readme.txt" carefully to replace the models, panel, and add a few textures, and remove old textures. It also replaces the aircraft.cfg and .air file to implement the yoke feature so you must save your fltsim sections.

Let me know what you think of the improvements to gauge smoothness.

www.flightsimonline.co...4Updts.zip

Thanks

#2: Re: Howard 500 Updates VC Only Author: Uhu_FledermausLocation: Blaricum, The Netherlands ~GMT+1 PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:20 am
    ----
Cool Cool Cool

WOW !!

Thank you Milton!

We still like to fly the Howard, and this will add to our enjoyment flying her with the sunday flights

I hardly dare to ask, but any news on a fsX version ?? Rolling Eyes

fled

#3: Re: Howard 500 Updates VC Only Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:59 am
    ----
LOL Fled, you beat me to this post....lol

Same questions and comments as Fled Milton... Wink

#4: Re: Howard 500 Updates VC Only Author: MiltonLocation: New Mexico PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:58 pm
    ----
Thanks guys. I need your feedback on whether these changes work okay with you. Of 184 downloads, I have three people who get csc errors on the zip.??

I also would like to know if evrything works okay and if you see improvement in gauge operation fluidity.

As for FSX, I cannot run it on my low-end computer and integrated GPU; barely runs FS9. lol

But, if you can tell me what doesn't work with any of our aircraft in FSX, I'll try to fix it. I have some reports that say the Howard and the D18S work just fine, and that some Aero Commanders are missing the glass parts or windshield.

I need that feedback as I do not and will not have FSX.

Thanks
Milton

#5: Re: Howard 500 Updates VC Only Author: Uhu_RodionLocation: L'Aquila, Italy PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 6:07 am
    ----
Hallo, Milton!

Good to see you couldn't resist and felt forced to get back working - even though I couldn't see there was margin of improvement on the Howard yet Wink

I'm downloading the update right now, and will report about what I notice later.

The Howard will be back in use as soon as we leave New Zealand and reach Australia again - for the Kiwi Islands we needed a slower plane and I think all of us are quite happy we chose your Beech for the purpose. Cool

Cheers... and get bored more often... oh, how selfish I am Razz
Wink
Marco

#6: Re: Howard 500 Updates VC Only Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 9:16 am
    ----
I should have time today to get this installed and I'll try and 'pop' it in FSX for some comparison... Wink

#7: Re: Howard 500 Updates VC Only Author: MiltonLocation: New Mexico PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:52 pm
    ----
Has anyone had time to try this? Any comments or issues? Gauges any smoother for you?

#8: Re: Howard 500 Updates VC Only Author: tomclayton PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 4:07 am
    ----
I installed and flew it, but on my piddly little system, I still get a little gauge stutter - but it matches the low frame-rates. Don't get me wrong though, it's still much improved over the previous version. I had to drop the VC versions from the aircraft.cfg because of the low frames. This makes the VC flyable for me! It's nearly equal to the performance of the VC's in the default heavies in frame rates, high teens mostly. (I'd rather have the slower frames than to reduce the sliders and compromise quality.)

#9: Re: Howard 500 Updates VC Only Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:40 pm
    ----
Odd thing Milton. As I was going to try the update, XP got hosed and the only way to fix it was to format and reinstall the OS. I want to try it this week...:wink:

#10: Re: Howard 500 Updates VC Only Author: Uhu_FledermausLocation: Blaricum, The Netherlands ~GMT+1 PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:31 am
    ----
It seems like a kind of lingering timebomb, my system also decided to go belly up Confused

As soon as I'm up and running again I'll report back, before the crash I had the update in and noticed an improvement in fps and smoother as a whole, alas before I could do more in depth testing the system went awol on me

-> FS2004