Tips BEFORE you reformat
-> Software

#1: Tips BEFORE you reformat Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:53 am
    ----
As in all OS', there'll come a day when you need to start with a fresh install and if you've been around computers for any length of time, you agree I'm sure.

Before you reformat that XP install that clogs up after time despite your best efforts to download and use cleaners in some ritualistic fashion, there's something you can do to make the process a bit easier.

Tip 1) First of all, you'll need to change your folder options to "show all folders". This will let you see hidden folders that Windows hides by default. To do that, go to "Control Panel", click on "Performance and Maintenance", and on the left hand menu you'll see the link for "File Types". Click on that link, then the 'View" tab. Once that window opens, you'll see a radio button that will let you choose "Show Hidden Files and Folders". Click "OK" and close out all windows.

Tip 2) Next, you'll need to find the "Application Data" folder. Default location is:"C:\Documents and Settings\*your computer name*\Application Data". Back up this entire folder to a CD, USB drive, etc. In this folder is all your personal settings for installed programs including many game backup files. Once you restore and install your favorite programs, you can replace the folder with your backup and all your settings should be like you left them.

Personally I use FireFox as my browser and Thunderbird as my Email client. Both FF and TB stores all your information in the Application Data folder. Once my programs get installed and my App Data folder restored, I have all my emails, sub folders, personal settings, cookies, and add-on's back.

Tip 3) Also, don't forget to back up your Documents folder. A lot of people forget about this one and loose pictures, important documents or projects they've been working on.

Tip 4) Get in the habit of backing up these folders on time intervals. Your back up routine depends on your computer use, but once a week isn't too often for most people. There's software that will do this for you, but I like to do the manual process, then I know it's done.

#2: Re: Tips BEFORE you reformat Author: Str8jackitz PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 3:04 pm
    ----
Hey Bush, any thoughts on why xp wont run after a restart?
my 250GB SATA did this after I had it in the Asus, I thought it may have been the weak PSU. Now I got a 20GB running xp, a 40GB, and 80GB to keep my downloads on. But now the 20GB is doing the freeze up thing now.
If I shut it down, when I restart xp 'acts' busy, and I cant bring the mouse on top of the task bar.

#3: Re: Tips BEFORE you reformat Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 4:24 pm
    ----
It could be a weak psu, or several other things.
Have you upgraded anything recently (software or hardware?)
When did it start doing this?
Is it a new build or an old system?
What are the system spec's?

#4: Re: Tips BEFORE you reformat Author: Str8jackitz PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 4:57 am
    ----
Did it the first time on my Asus T2
250w PSU
Pentium 4 3.2GHz
DVD RW (Master)
DVD RW (Lightscribe / Slave)
512MB (1x 5126MB Stick)
250GB SATA (Master) (Brand new btw)
80GB (Slave)
512MB 7600GS

Thought it may be weak power supply,

using an old Compaq board now..
350w PSU
Pentium 4 1.8 GHz
512MB (2x 256MB Sticks)
CD ROM (Master)
20GB (Master)
80GB (Slave)
40GB (Slave)
64MB GeForce 4000MX

(Can't wait to get my new system built, I ready to play some games!)

#5: Re: Tips BEFORE you reformat Author: Str8jackitz PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 5:10 am
    ----
btw, it started about a week after I built my Asus.
Flashed the BIOS first day I had it to reconize the P4 properly.
Everthing was smooth for about a week, the one day *busy*.

did it after the about the third restat in the compaq, think it may be the 20GB.

#6: Re: Tips BEFORE you reformat Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 9:16 am
    ----
Could be.
See also my post in the hardware section (under your proposed build) concerning your psu.

#7: Re: Tips BEFORE you reformat Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:43 am
    ----
Sounds to me like a HD going bad. Try installing XP on a different drive and see if that helps. I won't be home today as I have a meeting to attend and will miss the Sunday Flight too. (Hmmm, I need to restructure so I don't do any Sunday Meetings..lol)

-> Software