More M60s...
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: More M60s... Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 4:25 pm
    ----
I am in Columbia SC and plan to stop by the local armory to see the 60 & M728 they have out front.

Neil

Last edited by Neil_Baumgardner on Fri Nov 10, 2006 6:37 pm; edited 2 times in total

#2: Re: So where do you find the SN on an M60? Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 6:22 pm
    ----
I notice they have a number under the left rear, is that it??

Neil, I saw the following yesterday
1. M4A3E8 SHERMAN, Brownstown, IN
2. M60, VFW Post 1925 Seymour, IN INCORRECTLY listed as a M48
3. M60, Freeman Field, Seymour, IN NOT ON LIST, this is the nicest M60 I've every seen, looks brand new, neatly stenciled
4. M4A3E8 SHERMAN, IN NG, Main St, Scottsburg, In

#3: Re: So where do you find the SN on an M60? Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 6:28 pm
    ----
Jeff Button and Joe D. should both have the low-down on ser. number locations for M60's.

#4: Re: So where do you find the SN on an M60? Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 6:52 pm
    ----
Neil - Look on the Glacias on either side. I've found both serial numbers and Registration numbers there also on the Rear hull sides above the tracks. I think they may be on towing lugs also.

Doug - Maybe we can create a sticky file that stays at the top of the list with 'where to find serials on common AFVs

#5: Re: So where do you find the SN on an M60? Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:13 pm
    ----
Here you go Neil,
This should help.

Doug - Maybe we can create a sticky file that stays at the top of the list with 'where to find serials on common AFVs

Sounds like good idea, I could use it, especially the WWII stuff.

Joe D

#6: Re: So where do you find the SN on an M60? Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:16 pm
    ----
- Joe_D

Sounds like good idea, I could use it, especially the WWII stuff.

Joe D

Belly up and do a "Neil", Guys Laughing Somebody compile and post it, and I'll be glad to "stick it", so to speak. Wink

The way Joe did it is great...picture being worth a thousand conflicting instructions and all....

Come to think of it, we also have a "downloads" section here in AFV land...we can do it as we did Neil's vehicle list, perfect for downloading and printing...

#7: Re: So where do you find the SN on an M60? Author: SabotLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:26 pm
    ----
Did the A3s get a new number if they were rebuilt from A1s?

#8: Re: So where do you find the SN on an M60? Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:43 pm
    ----
What is the number under the left rear? a casting number?

#9: Re: So where do you find the SN on an M60? Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 3:43 pm
    ----
Hi Rob, everyone,
Rob,the answer about A3’s getting new numbers is yes and no. This is what I figured out so far. When the A3’s started production new serial numbers were started. With all previous M60’s the numbers ran in sequence (A2’s included) starting with the first M60A0 to the last M60A1 made (1980). The Anniston and Mainz Depot A3’s made from A1’s were stamped with new serial numbers that fell in sequence with the Detroit new production A3’s. They started making them late FY 1981 (FY 82 for Mainz). An “A� at the end for Anniston, “M� for Mainz. Sometime late into A3 production Anniston stopped issuing the new series serial numbers and instead used the original A1 hull number. They also dropped the “A� at the end. I haven’t been able to confirm it but I believe it was after all A3 production stopped at Mainz (1984) and Detroit (1987). To my knowledge the registration numbers did not change for rebuilds. BTW, all civilian references I’ve seen report 5400 A3’s were made, there were quite a bit more than that. 5400 was the number planned/delivered for the US Army.
To Armyjunk, if you are refering to the picture you posted of the A3 yes, that's a casting mark of that piece of armor. If you go to the Sherman register of Hanno Spoelstra there is a very good section on foundry trademarks and symbols by Kurt Laughlin. A lot of the information is valid for all US tanks up to the M60. When the M1 came out large cast armor went away and so did a lot of jobs in the Blaw Knox Foundry in East Chicago.

Joe D

#10: Re: So where do you find the SN on an M60? Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 4:10 pm
    ----
Here's the M60 - A3 I assume? - at the Columbia Armory.

According to the left-front tow-lug its SN 1863.

In the left background of this pic is Williams Brice Stadium - home of the South Carolina Gamecocks!

Here's the M728. Not sure where to find the SN on one of these and didnt find any...

Neil

Last edited by Neil_Baumgardner on Sat Nov 04, 2006 5:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

#11: Re: So where do you find the SN on an M60? Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 4:50 pm
    ----
Hi Neil! Hi Folks!

- Neil_Baumgardner

Here's the M60 - A3 I assume?

You are correct Sir. Wind sensor at the left rear edge of the turret.
You ID the CEV as a M278, I am guessing that's a type-o right.

Spot Report!
Sgt, Scouts Out!

#12: Re: So where do you find the SN on an M60? Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 5:06 pm
    ----
Oh yeah, 728... Doesnt quite look right with the turret turned around IMO. With such a short barrel, did they even reverse the turret for travel?

Neil

#13: Re: So where do you find the SN on an M60? Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 5:23 pm
    ----
Hi Neil! Hi Folks!

- Neil_Baumgardner

Doesnt quite look right with the turret turned around IMO. With such a short barrel, did they even reverse the turret for travel?
Neil

I have seen it done both ways. I think it depends on the situation at the time. Vehicles at the rear of a tactical convoy would face their turrets to the rear to cover the 6 o'clock position. Movement during a admin march, crews tended to leave their turrets facing the rear.

As for a vehicle on display, I agree it looks odd. I for one wish that those who control vehicles on display would take the trouble to point the turrets forward and level the gun tubes. Tubes that point down look wrong, tubes that point upward tend to lose battery after some time, level tubes look more combat ready and will not slide back out of battery once the seals dry out in the recoil system.

Sgt, Scouts out!

#14: Re: So where do you find the SN on an M60? Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 6:30 pm
    ----
Very Nice, Thanks for the posts Neil,
3 M60's and a CEV post in the last couple days, I'm besides myself, and 2 with serial numbers ! Those CEV's are a pain to get numbers unless you are willing to do a lot of scraping of paint. Most folks don't like you doing that to their pretty displays.

Thanks Neil

#15: Re: So where do you find the SN on an M60? Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:17 pm
    ----
If there's time, I will try to stop by the M60 at the Camden Military Academy on my way back tomorrow...

Neil

-> AFV News Discussion Board