FREEMAN FIELD SEYMOUR, IN M60 PICS maybe the nicest anywhere
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: FREEMAN FIELD SEYMOUR, IN M60 PICS maybe the nicest anywhere Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:34 am
    ----
I think this might be the best M60 in the US, she is like brand new, seems to nice to have outside

#2: Re: FREEMAN FIELD SEYMOUR, IN M60 PICS maybe the nicest anywhere Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 2:20 am
    ----
Is there also an M48 Patton at the VFW in Seymour? Or is this at the VFW?

Neil

#3: Re: FREEMAN FIELD SEYMOUR, IN M60 PICS maybe the nicest anywhere Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 3:13 am
    ----
Neil,
Seymour has (2) two M60's one at Freeman Field and the other at the VFW.
If there is a M48 in Seymour its not at the VFW......I don't believe there is a M48 in Seymour

#4: Re: FREEMAN FIELD SEYMOUR, IN M60 PICS maybe the nicest anywhere Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 3:58 pm
    ----
A very nice M60A3,
Most likely has been sitting in a MATES warehouse or Gaurd Armory and rarely used since delivery. Looks like someone went happy with a stencil machine, Those definately are not standard markings. Very nice that someone put the Serial number and Registration on the turret, saves me from asking. I would imagine they are correct. But sometimes you'd be surprised what get's painted on.

Thanks for the great pictures,
Joe D

#5: Re: FREEMAN FIELD SEYMOUR, IN M60 PICS maybe the nicest anywhere Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 4:38 pm
    ----
Hi Folks!

- armyjunk2

Talk about odd markings! Check out the area just to the left of the water can bracket. That is the first time I have ever seen a MLC marking on the side of a vehicle.

Sgt, Scouts Out!

MLC = Military Load Classification, used to check a vehicle's weight to the load carrying limits of NATO bridges.

#6: Re: FREEMAN FIELD SEYMOUR, IN M60 PICS maybe the nicest anyw Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 4:44 pm
    ----
I suspect they took the opportunity to "label" everything as a sort of educational exercise for the lay person. Obviously the crew knows where the smoke grenade launchers are, not to mention the tow cable.

#7: Re: FREEMAN FIELD M60 Author: A2_Prius PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:48 pm
    ----
A great example of the M60! Doesn't she seem to be "down in the bow"? Could broken torsion bars be at fault?

#8: Re: FREEMAN FIELD M60 Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:55 pm
    ----
- A2_Prius
A great example of the M60! Doesn't she seem to be "down in the bow"? Could broken torsion bars be at fault?

Looks about right to me, M60's from the A1 up seemed to me to have some forward list.

#9: Re: FREEMAN FIELD M60 Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:32 pm
    ----
Hi A2! Hi Folks!

- A2_Prius

My guess is the vehicle was driven under it's own power onto that pad. The driver hit the brakes hard and fast and locked them without letting up after it has stopped moving
That will cause a vehicle to drop at the front when moving forward and drop at the rear when backing up. After a vehicle has stop, if the brakes are released and then locked down, the vehicle will level some, but not completely. That is where most of those noticable nose down looks come from.

If you want a AFV equiped with torsion bars to set level, you need to let it coast to a stop and then lock the brakes.

Here is an example of a broken torsion bar problem.

Spot Report!
Sgt, Scouts Out!

#10: Re: FREEMAN FIELD SEYMOUR, IN M60 PICS maybe the nicest anywhere Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:27 pm
    ----
i could see tracks in the grass where she was driven in. Are tanks SHE's in this PC world?

#11: Re: FREEMAN FIELD SEYMOUR, IN M60 PICS maybe the nicest anyw Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:24 pm
    ----
Hi AJ2, Doug, Roy Everyone,
AJ2 said:
Are tanks SHE's in this PC world?

I've always refered to them as Girls (and sometimes the Canine term too when things didn't go right).

Roy said
My guess is the vehicle was driven under it's own power onto that pad. The driver hit the brakes hard and fast and locked them without letting up after it has stopped moving

Roy, if you remember the 60's brakes weren't the easiest to stop with, also the parking brake wasn't the best either. Since the only thing that actually locks is the out-puts on the transmission the tank can't dip and stay there doing what you describe. If the driver was turning or "Neutral Steering" and didn't release the "T-bar" before setting the P-Brake then the tank would dip because the sprockets would be still pulling against each other causing the suspension to compress.
I think this old girl is leaning forward because the Pack has been pulled before she was put on display. Most A3's on display sit high in the rear because of this.

Joe D

-> AFV News Discussion Board