Surviving Panzers website
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 53, 54, 55  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#151: Re: Surviving Panzers website (now incl. British tanks) Author: Michel_KraussLocation: Zuid-Holland, The Netherlands PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:03 pm
    ----
- the_shadock
there are nearly 100 surviving Churchill tanks... and for this file, I was able to get high-quality pictures for some tanks, that's why the file is bigger

Sorry P-O, just fooling around an little

However it still suprises that there are that many survivors
No offence to our British friends, however it was not an real master piece of design or performance

Michel

#152: Re: Surviving Panzers website (now incl. British tanks) Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:17 pm
    ----
- Michel_Krauss
No offence to our British friends, however it was not an real master piece of design or performance

Michel

Well, I would prefer to get a Churchill instead of a Comet, as a vehicle for my collection.
It's maybe because there are many Churchill as monuments in Normandy and Britanny, and because there are no Comets displayed as monuments in France..

P-O

#153: Re: Surviving Panzers website (now incl. British tanks) Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:03 am
    ----
Still working on "new" things..

Sherman Ic, Hybrid Ic and Vc :

http://the.shadock.free.fr/Surviving_Sherman_Fireflies.pdf

Wink

P-O

#154: Re: Surviving Panzers website (now incl. British tanks) Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:08 am
    ----
- TrevorLarkum
Nice work!

I don't see the bridgelayer at Cwmbran (or is it the one now at Chatham?). It's still showing in Google.

Trevor,

I do think it is the one now located at Chatham, until a photo taken in 2009 proves I am wrong (and if I'm wrong, that's excellent news !! because there seems to be only 1 complete Churchill bridgelayer still surviving.)

However, that's what I found on a forum :

"There used to be one outside the TA centre in Cwmbran gently rusting away. "
http://airfixtributeforum.myfastforum.org/ftopic3588-0-asc-0.php

P-O

#155: Re: Surviving Panzers website (now incl. British tanks) Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:08 pm
    ----
Not sure how this one should be considered:
preservedtanks.com/Pro...4&Select=4

Massimo

#156: Re: Surviving Panzers website (now incl. British tanks) Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:17 pm
    ----
- Massimo_Foti
preservedtanks.com/Pro...p;Select=4

Massimo

MAssimo,

thanks. IMO, it should be considered as a Firefly. I'll add it later today.

However, I think that this particular tank should not be part of the PDF file. It appears to be a Grizzly tank (has to be confirmed), with the 17 Pdr gun added, but without all the other Firefly features (doesn't have the plate for the hull MG, doesn't have the typical gun mantlet etc..) :

Apart from the Grizzly Firefly @ Etobicoke Collegiate Institute, Toronto, it seems that very few US M4A1s were converted to Firefly tanks.

P-O

#157: Re: Surviving Panzers website (now incl. British tanks) Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:12 am
    ----
- the_shadock

Trevor,

I do think it is the one now located at Chatham, until a photo taken in 2009 proves I am wrong (and if I'm wrong, that's excellent news !! because there seems to be only 1 complete Churchill bridgelayer still surviving.)

However, that's what I found on a forum :

"There used to be one outside the TA centre in Cwmbran gently rusting away. "
http://airfixtributeforum.myfastforum.org/ftopic3588-0-asc-0.php

P-O

Understood - I tried to visit Cwmbran last year, but unfortunately didn't get there. Anyway, I probably won't try again (but I might try to get to Chatham, and if I do I'll ask about their example).

- the_shadock
- Massimo_Foti

Massimo

thanks. IMO, it should be considered as a Firefly.

Agreed - I've updated the page to match:

#158: Re: Surviving Panzers website (now incl. British tanks) Author: TichenorLocation: Antwerp PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:09 pm
    ----
- P-O

Still working on "new" things..

Sherman Ic, Hybrid Ic and Vc :

My remarks on the list:

Shouldn't the Shermans at Hermeton-sur-meuse and Mopertingen also be added to this register. They both have a Firefly hull but have they're turrets replaced with a 75mm turret.

At the Visenaken depot there is also a Sherman Ic SN 1604 (sorry no decent picture yet).

All the wrecks (exempt one) listed at Kapellen are moved to Vissenaken, the 2 Firefly's with the smoke pods are AWOL i'm afraid (nowhere to be seen in Vissenaken). The only wreck at Kapellen is the one without the turret bottom at page 16).

Tichenor

#159: Re: Surviving Panzers website (now incl. British tanks) Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:17 pm
    ----
- Tichenor

My remarks on the list:

Shouldn't the Shermans at Hermeton-sur-meuse and Mopertingen also be added to this register. They both have a Firefly hull but have they're turrets replaced with a 75mm turret.

Yes I will add them. Thanks for letting me know.

- Tichenor

At the Visenaken depot there is also a Sherman Ic SN 1604 (sorry no decent picture yet).

Could it be the Kapellen wreck shown there ? :
Kapellen Sherman Ic

- Tichenor

All the wrecks (exempt one) listed at Kapellen are moved to Vissenaken, the 2 Firefly's with the smoke pods are AWOL i'm afraid (nowhere to be seen in Vissenaken). The only wreck at Kapellen is the one without the turret bottom at page 16).

Tichenor

Hope that we will have some news about them fate.

P-O

#160: Re: Surviving Panzers website (now incl. British tanks) Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:51 pm
    ----
The fate of some of the Braschaat fire range and Kapellen depot Fireflies :

Sherman Hybrid Ic previously at Braschaat Fire Range :

Sherman Vc hull previously at Braschaat Fire Range :

Both of them now at Tank Museum, Vissenaken :

Sherman Ic previously at Tank Museum, Kapellen :

Now at Tank Museum, Vissenaken :

Sherman Vc previously at Tank Museum, Kapellen :

Now with Kevin Wheatcroft :

P-O

#161: Re: Surviving Panzers website (now incl. British tanks) Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:40 pm
    ----
Interesting news.

#162: Re: Surviving Panzers website (now incl. British tanks) Author: TichenorLocation: Antwerp PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:13 pm
    ----
P-O

At the Firefly document you are asking for pictures of a Firefly located in Soest, Germany. Do you have some more information for that Firefly.
The reason I'm asking is almost 20 years ago Soest was a Belgian Garrisson and there was a unit, 4 lancers, witch had a firefly as monument.
When the unit returned to Belgium, it merged with the 2 lancers and the monuments went to back to the museum.

Michel

#163: Re: Surviving Panzers website (now incl. British tanks) Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:25 pm
    ----
- Tichenor
When the unit returned to Belgium, it merged with the 2 lancers and the monuments went to back to the museum

Michel,

they went back to which museum?

P-O

#164: Re: Surviving Panzers website (now incl. British tanks) Author: TichenorLocation: Antwerp PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:07 pm
    ----
P-O

The Brussels army museum, probably now somewhere at display.

Michel

#165: Re: Surviving Panzers website (now incl. British tanks) Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:38 pm
    ----
Thanks Michel, I'm always glad to get some help from a forum member and friend

P-O

-> AFV News Discussion Board