I want to run FS2004 under Windows XP X64 Professional
-> FS2004

#1: I want to run FS2004 under Windows XP X64 Professional Author: Adrian_Wainer PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 6:03 pm
    ----
I have a new AMD Athlon 64 4800 939 based system running Windows XP X64 Professional and I can not get Flight Simulator 2004 installed [ presumably the Windows XP X64 professional is the issue ], is there a fix to allow FS2004 to be installed in a computer using this operating system?

www.microsoft.com/wind...fault.mspx

Best and Warm Regards
Adrian Wainer

Last edited by Adrian_Wainer on Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

#2: Re: I want to run FS2004 under Windows XP X64 Professional Author: XcalibeR PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:25 pm
    ----
Not that I know of. I'm running XP 64, and I've had no issues getting FS2004 to work.

#3: Re: I want to run FS2004 under Windows XP X64 Professional Author: Uhu_RodionLocation: L'Aquila, Italy PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 11:03 am
    ----
Adrian, you may be interested in reading this:
-> groups.google.com/grou...c2a45a16c3

Marco

#4: Re: I want to run FS2004 under Windows XP X64 Professional Author: Adrian_Wainer PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 8:21 pm
    ----
thanx for the responses, I will give it another go at loading it.

Best and Warm Regards
Adrian Wainer

#5: Re: I want to run FS2004 under Windows XP X64 Professional Author: Adrian_Wainer PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 4:20 pm
    ----
RE FS2004 in MS XP Professional x64.
I managed to get the discs to copy to the hardrive but it had a problem with some scenery files with "cab" appearing in them [ I had to tell the installer to skip installing these files in order to complete the instilation ] and the whilst the aircraft and the airports look fine the buildings in e.g. downtown Seattle look terrible [ and presumably other citys too ] and the ground looks like something out of an early 1980s arcade game.

Best and Warm Regards
Adrian Wainer

#6: Re: I want to run FS2004 under Windows XP X64 Professional Author: Uhu_RodionLocation: L'Aquila, Italy PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:06 pm
    ----
For what I could understand so far, it doesn't matter the CPU, 32 or 64 bit it's just a matter of additional instructions. The trouble comes when a 64 bit OS can't provide total backward compatibility.

If I remember well, one of the reasons of the slow transition between old Win-95 and Win-98 16bit OS' and the new 32bit ones was that Microsoft was aware of a lot of software which would have been immediately useless, and they were not concerned only with games.

Now, when stating FSX is "Vista-ready", I don't think they think of the graphic appearance of the new OS, but rather of the 64bit code; as a consequence, implicitly I assume that FS9 is not "Vista-ready", that is, not fully compatible with 64bit code.

The files included in the "sceneries.cabs" could be extracted, but I think I read somewhere that this brings to a severe slowing down (?) of the system, so...

Hope this helps, though I understand that, if what I say is true, it's not good news.

Marco

#7: Re: I want to run FS2004 under Windows XP X64 Professional Author: Adrian_Wainer PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:41 pm
    ----
Thanx for your observations Uhu_rodion. Well the Windows XP Professional x64 is certainly designed run 32 bit applications, after all I have FSX on it and it loaded and runs no problem and FSX is a 32 bit application and Windows XP Professional is sold by Microsoft as having 32 bit emulation and if you look at the drives of a Windows XP professional x64 system you will see it has an automatic filing system for its folders which seperate 64 bit and 32 bit applications. There maybe legacy code in FS9 or something that is causing problems for the Windows Professional XP x64 but I doubt it is the 32 bit issue. What would be interesting to know is more about XcalibeR's system, the only thing I can think of off hand is that my machine is not connected to the internet and so maybe Microsoft have a patch that alows the Windows XP Professional x64 to utilize older software like FS2004 that XcalibeR's system has that mine hasn't.

Best and Warm Regards
Adrian Wainer

If the problem is not specific to my system, well then if the Windows XP Professional x64 is having problems with FS9 it looks like as you say that Vista will have problems with FS9 which would not matter too much if FSX was a dreamboat rather than the frame killer that it is. If Vista will have problems with FS9 I think transportable racks are the way to go in that with transportable racks it is child's play to run multiple operating sytems on a single machine.

www.newegg.com/Product...6817121114

NB With a transportable rack it is not necessary to remove a rack to go to another operating system, is that e.g. one could have one rack with Windows XP and FS9 on it and other other rack with Vista and FSX on it and all one would need to do is to shut down the computer and use the keys to change the status of the racks and then restart the computer.

#8: Re: I want to run FS2004 under Windows XP X64 Professional Author: FF_StepChildLocation: Hampton Va. US PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 7:19 pm
    ----
I too am running XP 64 Pro SP1 Build 3790 and the only problem I had installing FS9 was the Tokyo cab, I believe. Everything seems to work well, even though I "skipped" that .cab, and even the scenery in Japan appears to be correct. This may be a mistake, as I have not seen Toyo on another system. As for FSX, I have to wait for Xmas (pun intended) for my lady to get it for me. She insists that she buy the deluxe version from somewhere special for me. ??? I dunno.

#9: Re: I want to run FS2004 under Windows XP X64 Professional Author: Adrian_Wainer PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 7:29 pm
    ----
Hi FF_stepchild thanks for your comment re "SP1 Build 3790" where did you find that detail as I want to check it against mine. Do you know is "Build 3790" just a serial number or is it systems development tag ie if it is a systems development tag it might mean that an earlier number to yours would be inferior.

Best and Warm Regards
Adrian Wainer

#10: Re: I want to run FS2004 under Windows XP X64 Professional Author: Adrian_Wainer PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 7:38 pm
    ----
Hi FF_stepchild I have the FSX running on my Windows XP Professional x64computer and I have stopped using it and gone back to using FS9 which I have on my [ lower hardware spec ] Windows XP machine, frankly if I had known then what I know now I would not have bought FSX but spent the money on more payware add-ons for FS9 instead. My best guess is that Microsoft will bring out a FSX 10.5 2007 that will utilize multicore processors, so the best bet would be to stick with FS9 and go for the new FSX 10.5 2007 that is fully multicore compatible when it becomes available.

#11: Re: I want to run FS2004 under Windows XP X64 Professional Author: tomclayton PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:02 am
    ----
Adrian, to find the build details on your OS, open any folder like My Documents or My Computer, then click Help in the menu bar, then About Windows.

#12: Re: I want to run FS2004 under Windows XP X64 Professional Author: Adrian_Wainer PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:41 pm
    ----
I solved the problem by Installing the FS2004 to the Windows XP Professional x64 system and allowing it to skip the files is was having trouble installing and then I deleted the folders which had only partially installed content and then I copyied the folders from a FS2004 runing under Windows XP home edition to replace the folders of which part of their content failed to install from the Installation disc. But what is interesting is that I have had these problems reFS2004 with Windows XP Professional x64 and other people haven't

Best and Warm Regards
Adrian Wainer

#13: Re: I want to run FS2004 under Windows XP X64 Professional Author: XcalibeR PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 4:35 pm
    ----
- XcalibeR
Not that I know of. I'm running XP 64, and I've had no issues getting FS2004 to work.

You know, I take that back. I did have trouble copying over the World.cab file. I think I attributed it to a big scratch on my cd, though. Either way, I was able to manually copy the file from another computer that had FS9 on it. If you've got access to another computer, try doing that.

#14: Re: I want to run FS2004 under Windows XP X64 Professional Author: FF_StepChildLocation: Hampton Va. US PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:48 am
    ----
Adrian, my friend, I have had the same problem on almost everysystem I have built.
AMD 3000+ w/ XP, XP Pro
AMD 64 3800+ w/ XP, XP Pro, XP Pro 64
AMD 64x2 4200+ w/ XP Pro, XP Pro 64
Intel P4 2.4 w/ XP Pro
Intel PD 805 Dual w/ XP Pro 64

I believe all of them had problems copying one or more of the .cab files. But, by skipping the files, and sometimes adding them manually later, all seems to be well. So, don't feel alone here, as for me, mostly the Tokyo .cab went AWOL.

-> FS2004