Combat & M3 Lee pilot
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Combat & M3 Lee pilot Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:16 pm
    ----
Looks like someone had seen pictures of the M3 Lee pilot.

cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayIS...:B:SS:US:1

Neil

#2: Re: Combat & M3 Lee pilot Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 5:11 pm
    ----
Well it says the comics are from the '60s so the illustrator probably just looked at old publicity pictures in Life and Sat Eve Post magazines and in the various 'Pictorial history of the War' books that came out in the late war and post war era and coverd it by time periods. It's interesting looking at the publicity pictures that were put out. There were lots of the M-6 heavy tank as well as various early Lee tanks. I assume at least part was a disinformation campaign.

#3: Re: Combat & M3 Lee pilot Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:05 pm
    ----
Just like those pictures of "PzKpfw V" (ie Nb.Fz.) heavy tanks in Norway!

Neil

#4: Re: Combat & M3 Lee pilot Author: SabotLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:16 pm
    ----
The illustrator was probably a kid and remembered the publicity photo from WW2. It was probably the definition of a tank in his mind.

#5: Re: Combat & M3 Lee pilot Author: jcneelLocation: Victoria, Texas PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:31 pm
    ----
Didn't the earliest Shermans also have the two MGs in the bow as well? I think it was meant to be one of these...

cn

#6: Re: Combat & M3 Lee pilot Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:07 am
    ----
jcneel - Yes, early Shermans (like Michael below) had bow MGs. However, I'm pretty certain I can see the right-side hull mount for the 75mm gun of an M3 Lee/Grant in the comic cover above.

Neil

#7: Re: Combat & M3 Lee pilot Author: Garry_RedmonLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:17 am
    ----
This cover is an unabashed copy of a war-time poster. I don't remember if it was for joining the Tank Corps or buying War Bonds or what. I've been searching on the net and in my references, but I haven't found it yet. I may have seen it at the Patton Museum.

#8: Re: Combat & M3 Lee pilot Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:37 am
    ----
I do remember seeing a very similar WWI poster - but not so sure of a WWII one...

Neil

#9: Re: Combat & M3 Lee pilot Author: jcneelLocation: Victoria, Texas PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:24 am
    ----
Ok - I see the structure looking thing to the right. But I think that might be the curved portion of the cast hull of the M4A1 with a star painted on it. Another reason I think that it might be an early M4 is that the MGs are in the center and not off to the right. As per your (Neil's) photo in another thread about Lee and Grant tanks:

but then, that just may be artistic expression - it is after all, only a comic book cover.....

Chris Neel

#10: Re: Combat & M3 Lee pilot Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 2:07 am
    ----
Actually I think you're probably right - what I was thinking was the hull 75 gun mount is probably just the right fender...

Neil

-> AFV News Discussion Board