French and American FT-17
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#16: Re: French and American FT-17 Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 1:33 pm
    ----
[quote="armyjunk2"]

Where is this one located?

P-O

#17: Re: French and American FT-17 Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 1:36 pm
    ----
1st edition of the FT-17 tanks PDF file. I think it needs to be corrected.
Any info is the most welcome.

http://the.shadock.free.fr/Surviving_FT-17.pdf

I'm looking for photos of the following tanks :

FT-17 – Fort Seclin (France) – better picture
FT-17 K-K-K-Katy at Aberdeen Proving Ground (USA)
FT-17 – Historical Military Armor Museum, Anderson (USA) - better picture

Thanks in advance

P-O

#18: Re: French and American FT-17 Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 2:01 pm
    ----
Neil should have pictures of K-K-K-Katy. If he doesn't I'll see if I do or if I can get some when I'm up there in a few weeks

#19: Re: French and American FT-17 Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 2:51 pm
    ----
This website lists all the differences between the US M1917 and French FT-17 tanks :

M1917 vs FT-17

P-O

#20: Re: French and American FT-17 Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 3:50 pm
    ----
Supposedly K-K-Katy is an FT-17 with an M1917 turret... I'll try to post pics as soon as I can.

Neil

#21: Re: French and American FT-17 Author: pineyLocation: Republic of Southern New Jersey PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:30 am
    ----
Here is a picture of K-K-K-Katy that I took one one of Bob Smart's great tours HTH

Jeff Lewis

Last edited by piney on Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:56 am; edited 2 times in total

#22: Re: French and American FT-17 Author: pineyLocation: Republic of Southern New Jersey PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:34 am
    ----
feel free to use it in your PDF if you want P-O

Jeff Lewis

#23: Re: French and American FT-17 Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:34 am
    ----
Could somebody give me the location of those 2 US M-1917 tanks?

Jeff, thanks for the photo from Aberdeen. I've added it to the file Wink .

Pierre-Olivier

#24: Re: French and American FT-17 Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:49 pm
    ----
There is also apparently an M1917 at VFW Post 2290 in Manville NJ.

Pierre, no real idea on the pictures - where did you get them from?

Neil

#25: Re: French and American FT-17 Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:59 pm
    ----
the blue green tank is in bloomington Illinois US and it is my picture...please feel free to use it..

#26: Re: French and American FT-17 Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:05 pm
    ----
- Neil_Baumgardner
There is also apparently an M1917 at VFW Post 2290 in Manville NJ.

Pierre, no real idea on the pictures - where did you get them from?

Neil

I've found this one here :

http://www.landships.freeservers.com/m1917_6tonner_late.htm

I hope that somebody will be able to recognize the building.

Also, who could tell me which tank is this one :

I 've found the photo here on a website presenting the 1st Division Museum at Cantigny :

http://www.mccormicktribune.org/firstdivision/main.htm

I'm now looking for photos of this :
US M-1917 - Danbury - Military Museum of Southern New England
US M-1917 - Wheaton - 1st Division Museum at Cantigny
US M-1917 - Newport News - Virginia War Museum
US M-1917 - Manville NJ
FT-17 – French army base, Satory (France)
3 other FT-17 tanks in Brazil (recent photos)

P-O

#27: Re: French and American FT-17 Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:48 pm
    ----
Found it! Manville NJ, on the VFW's website:

vfw2290.org/Tank/tank.html

The VFW seems to think their "WW1 1917 Renault FT" is a combat veteran. However the WWI survivor site claims the damage is from testing in the US (more likely IMO...).

One a related note, while looking for a website for Nitro "War Memorial Museum" or "World War I Museum" (unsuccesfully), I did find the following note on the Nitro M1917, from last week nonetheless:

"In other business, Casto said he wanted City Attorney Troy Giatras to recover a World War I era Renault tank that is stored in Huntington. The tank, which had been stored at the city’s World War I museum, had been removed for cleaning.

"Casto said he was worried that the cleaning process might involve sandblasting, which would permanently damage the relic. “If its ruined, I might go down there with a World War I machine gun,� Casto joked."

wvgazette.com/section/...2006112118

Neil

#28: Re: French and American FT-17 Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:57 pm
    ----
- the_shadock

Also, who could tell me which tank is this one :

Oh yeah! Thats the super-secret French "Mini-Schneider" tank. Wink

Seriously, it appears to be an attempt at a mockup of a French Schneider tank, but is about more the scale of a Universal Carrier...

Need to "get someone there" to take pictures of that museum, its outside of Chicago... They have a T26E4 Pershing, which I believe is the only surviving long-barrelled erstwhile "Super Pershing" in the world...

I believe there is only one surviving CA1 Scheider in the world, formerly at the Ordnance Museum at APG and now at the French armor museum in Saumur.

Neil

Last edited by Neil_Baumgardner on Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

#29: Re: French and American FT-17 Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:25 pm
    ----
- the_shadock

I'm now looking for photos of this :
US M-1917 - Danbury - Military Museum of Southern New England
US M-1917 - Wheaton - 1st Division Museum at Cantigny
US M-1917 - Newport News - Virginia War Museum
US M-1917 - Manville NJ
FT-17 – French army base, Satory (France)
3 other FT-17 tanks in Brazil (recent photos)

P-O

Jeff Button - Didn't you take some pictures at the Newport News site when you were at Ft Useless?

I just realized I don't think we've heard from Jeff in a while. Do we need to send a search party out?

#30: Re: French and American FT-17 Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 1:25 am
    ----
The Museum at Nitro WV is gone, I was by there a month ago...building is falling in...Tank is gone

-> AFV News Discussion Board