Aberdeen Tiger I Discovery Channel footage (recent)
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Aberdeen Tiger I Discovery Channel footage (recent) Author: Rikard_HufschmiedLocation: Stockholm, Sweden PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:53 pm
    ----
Looks like Kevin Wheatcroft is taking good care of it.

Aberdeen Tiger I

Not that I needed the translation but it was nice to get Swedish subtitles Laughing

Rik

#2: Re: Aberdeen Tiger I Discovery Channel footage (recent) Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 3:17 pm
    ----
Thanks much! Somehow I dont remember that show...

Neil

#3: Re: Aberdeen Tiger I Discovery Channel footage (recent) Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 3:20 pm
    ----
Here's a recent article about him:

www.ft.com/cms/s/442a5...e2340.html

Neil

#4: Re: Aberdeen Tiger I Discovery Channel footage (recent) Author: jcneelLocation: Victoria, Texas PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:19 pm
    ----
I didn't realize that they had made this tank a cutaway. Has it been like that for a while or is that something they have done recently?

If they restore like that - it will definately need to be kept indoors when brought back to the US.

It is due to come back the the US, isn't it? Does anybody know when?

Chris Neel

#5: Re: Aberdeen Tiger I Discovery Channel footage (recent) Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:39 pm
    ----
It would have been cut open shortly after it arrived at APG. I suspect it wont come back to the US until the Ordnance Museum moves (supposedly at least) into a new building (supposedly) at Fort Lee.

Neil

#6: Re: Aberdeen Tiger I Discovery Channel footage (recent) Author: Rikard_HufschmiedLocation: Stockholm, Sweden PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:34 pm
    ----
- Neil_Baumgardner
Here's a recent article about him:

www.ft.com/cms/s/442a5...e2340.html

Neil

Wow ... 80% of a King Tiger in pieces, I'd love to see that. I tip my hat!

Rik

#7: Re: Aberdeen Tiger I Discovery Channel footage (recent) Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:57 pm
    ----
Yes it's a kind of big big Meccano game, or Lego... but when you see what you can do with a wreck of a Jagdpanther coming from a fire range.. (thinking about Mike Gibbs' Jagdpanther)

P-O

#8: Re: Aberdeen Tiger I Discovery Channel footage (recent) Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:36 pm
    ----
- jcneel
I didn't realize that they had made this tank a cutaway. Has it been like that for a while or is that something they have done recently?

If they restore like that - it will definately need to be kept indoors when brought back to the US.

It is due to come back the the US, isn't it? Does anybody know when?

Chris Neel

Yes it is due to come back. I will let this board know as soon as I know anything.

#9: Re: Aberdeen Tiger I Discovery Channel footage (recent) Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:48 am
    ----
Does anyone has a recent good quality photo of this tank, either in Germany or in Kevin Wheatcroft collection? I would use it for my PDF file listing the surviving Tigers.

Thanks in advance

P-O

#10: A few per cent of those 80% Author: Andre_FlenerLocation: G.D. of Luxembourg PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 2:57 pm
    ----
Re: "80% of a King Tiger in pieces, I'd love to see that."

According to the rumours, this could actually be the rear part:

http://www.hartziel.de/index.htm?/fragmente/index.htm

How many per cent of the 80% are that? Wink

Regards,
André Flener

#11: Re: A few per cent of those 80% Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:31 pm
    ----
- André_Flener

According to the rumours, this could actually be the rear part:

That's not only a rumor, but that was confirmed by the photos on this website and by somebody who visited his collection few weeks ago :

http://forum.panzer-archiv.de/viewtopic.php?p=108388#108388

The problem is now to know what else he has of a Kingtiger.

P-O

#12: Re: Aberdeen Tiger I Discovery Channel footage (recent) Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:21 pm
    ----
I got some info this evening that Mr Wheatcroft has a Panzer II and a Marder II in his collection. There was a Marder II in Sinsheim, but it is currently not there. The Panzer II which was in Munster also seems not to be in Germany.

For me, it's clear that these 2 tanks come from Aberdeen and are currently on loan to Mr Wheatcroft, with the Tiger I.

Pierre-Olivier

#13: Re: Aberdeen Tiger I Discovery Channel footage (recent) Author: clausb PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:39 pm
    ----
- the_shadock
I got some info this evening that Mr Wheatcroft has a Panzer II and a Marder II in his collection. There was a Marder II in Sinsheim, but it is currently not there. The Panzer II which was in Munster also seems not to be in Germany.

For me, it's clear that these 2 tanks come from Aberdeen and are currently on loan to Mr Wheatcroft, with the Tiger I.

Pierre-Olivier

I'm pretty sure the Panzer II is gone from Germany. On a trip to Munster some years ago, I talked with one of the staff who was royally pissed that they had to send it back after having spent so much time and effort restoring it. Understandably, it was quite a beauty.

Claus B

#14: Re: Aberdeen Tiger I Discovery Channel footage (recent) Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:40 pm
    ----
Pierre-Olivier,
That is very interesting information. I hope it indicates that the Ordnance Museum is finally starting to take some interest in its collection loaners and maybe, just maybe (fingers crossed) is preparing for their return...

Neil

#15: Re: Aberdeen Tiger I Discovery Channel footage (recent) Author: pineyLocation: Republic of Southern New Jersey PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:41 pm
    ----
Hi Pierre-Olivier

Here is one pic of the outside of the Aberdeen tiger, I'm pretty sure I have some pics taken showing the cutaway side when it was in Germany, but I have to burrow through my files HTH

Jeff Lewis

-> AFV News Discussion Board