I Got In!!!
-> Officer's Club

#1: I Got In!!! Author: RAF92_MoserLocation: Illinois PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:32 pm
    ----
After three months of waiting, I GOT IN! Hellyeh, I have been accepted into its flight program and will start my training next fall! Hallejujah!

I have other options, such as Embry Riddle....probably the most prestigious aeronautical college in the country....if you can afford it (I'm sending my letters of recommendation ASAP), Indiana State in Terra Haute which is a little cheaper than Purdue but IDK about its training, and Southeastern Oklahoma...the cheapest..and again...unfamiliar with its reputation.

Anyway, I was shocked to be accepted...pilots have recommended Purdue, and it took them so long to send a reply...almost gave my hopes up.

WOOHOO!!

#2: Re: I Got In!!! Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:50 pm
    ----
That's great news Moser!! Congrats Sir!!!

#3: Re: I Got In!!! Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:37 pm
    ----
Well done indeed!
Congrat's.

#4: Re: I Got In!!! Author: Shadow_Banshee PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:53 am
    ----
yep Well done and good luck!

#5: Re: I Got In!!! Author: 401RCAF_HammerLocation: Burlington, Ontario, Canada. PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 2:36 pm
    ----
-S-

Congrads..!!...and good luck.

Hammer Cool Laughing Cool Laughing Cool

#6: Re: I Got In!!! Author: XcalibeR PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 3:10 pm
    ----
- RAF92_Moser
I have other options, such as Embry Riddle....probably the most prestigious aeronautical college in the country....if you can afford it (I'm sending my letters of recommendation ASAP), Indiana State in Terra Haute which is a little cheaper than Purdue but IDK about its training, and Southeastern Oklahoma...the cheapest..and again...unfamiliar with its reputation.

Embry Riddle has gone downhill fast in recent years. Maybe they used to be the best, but that spot is definatly held by UND now (not that I'm biased or anything...). That doesn't mean, of course, that it's right for everyone. Purdue is one of the best, so congrats! When you get there, join the flying team and study hard, so I can beat your butt at Nationals Wink

National Intercollegiate Flying Association

#7: Re: I Got In!!! Author: RAF92_MoserLocation: Illinois PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 3:58 pm
    ----
Thank you guys!

Oh yeh, XCaliber...University of North Dakota right? I remember you telling me long time ago.

I didn't know about Embry Riddle going downhill. I doubted without a major hunk of financial aid, paying for forty grand a year is a bit overkill. Now I feel I got my sights more locked on Purdue, because of its good reputation and affordability (about 1/2 that of Embry Riddle). Thanks for the info, pal! By the way, do you think Purdue would better than Southeastern Oklahoma and Indiana State? I'm leaning on the opinion that they maybe a tad bit cheaper, but they do not offer the quality teaching Purdue may offer. Kinda like that saying "You get what you payed for."

Once again, thanks for everything guys!

#8: Re: I Got In!!! Author: XcalibeR PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:44 pm
    ----
- RAF92_Moser
Thank you guys!

Oh yeh, XCaliber...University of North Dakota right? I remember you telling me long time ago.

I didn't know about Embry Riddle going downhill. I doubted without a major hunk of financial aid, paying for forty grand a year is a bit overkill. Now I feel I got my sights more locked on Purdue, because of its good reputation and affordability (about 1/2 that of Embry Riddle). Thanks for the info, pal! By the way, do you think Purdue would better than Southeastern Oklahoma and Indiana State? I'm leaning on the opinion that they maybe a tad bit cheaper, but they do not offer the quality teaching Purdue may offer. Kinda like that saying "You get what you payed for."

Once again, thanks for everything guys!

Yep, University of North Dakota Smile

Yeah, Embry Riddle's enrollment has almost halved in the past two or three years. I'm certainly no expert on them, but I think it's mostly due to internal bickerings and such. I've never heard of Southeastern SEOK or ISU, so I wouldn't know whether they're better or worse than anyone else. However, Purdue is a very good school. I have met a couple people from there (they flew their King Air into the FBO I was working at this past summer, talked with the pilots), and they have a good reputable program there.

It can be said of almost eny industry, but it's especially true within the aviation industry. The education you get depends primarily on yourself, and to a lesser extent, your instructor. Aviation is not easy, but it's worth the rewards. Work hard, and you'll do well. I was astounded by how much knowledge a good pilot must have. You'll go through not only how to fly planes and how they work, but physiology, psychology, history, electrical engineering, organizational management, crew resource management, etc etc. It's amazing. There's a reason top pilots are paid as much as, if not more than doctors. It's a lot to learn in four years. But if you're willing to put in the time and effort, it's very rewarding. In my first semester up here, There was upwards of 200-300 people in that course. I'm now less than a week from earning my commercial/multiengine/instrument, and there are 88 people. That shows you how many people burned out.

I was being serious about the flying team though. I waited until my sophmore year to join. Big mistake. It'll make your college career much more difficult (if you want to do well at competition, anyways, because it takes a lot of work), but it is, again, well worth the rewards of winning.

So, in essence, work hard, you'll do well. Slack off, you'll burn out. Hope to see you in the future!

#9: Re: I Got In!!! Author: HF_SlowHandLocation: Meeechigan PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:12 pm
    ----
Congrats Moser!

Did you look into Western Michigan? They just bought a boat load of new Cirrus'.

Keep the shiny side up and the diryy side down!

www.wmich.edu/aviation/

#10: Re: I Got In!!! Author: sweets PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:34 pm
    ----
Congrats!

#11: Re: I Got In!!! Author: RAF92_MoserLocation: Illinois PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:38 pm
    ----
I haven't looked into Western Michigan, but I requested some info. 28 new
Cirrus's......(whistle).

I'm ready for this challenge. I can't really wait. But then again, there gonna pound me with classes. I've got the plan of study and you're right, not easy. At times in high school, I have slacked off some assignments, but I still strive to maintain a 4.0 GPA and try to get into the top 5% of the class. In high school though, the pace sometimes feels awfully slow so I welcome college education's toughness. I think I like to learn actually...not often stated among my peers. I go to the library and check out books on theories and science. I just finished one about the Big Bang and I'm into one about Darwinism. Four years ago I wouldn't have welcomed a challenge, but now I do. I'm gonna work my tail off, because if I don't...I'm in a whole bunch of trouble....for a long time. Thanks for the advice...and the truth!

#12: Re: I Got In!!! Author: HF_SlowHandLocation: Meeechigan PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:23 pm
    ----
Have you been through ground school?

I took a class at Andrews University near hear and enjoyed, it, did well, but my job is usually 70 hours a week so although I ahve the money to fly, I have struggled to find the time.

Studying and learning is not hard plus you have all th ehelp you can ahndle.

If need be look some of the HF's (Hell Fighters...).

HF_ArcAngel is a retired Allegheny Captain

HF_Bruno flies an Airbus A310 (Charter Captain),

HF_Froggy flies a mirage in the French AF

Arc is on the CC TeamSpeak server a lot and is ALWAYS willing to go to FS2004 for some classes (ALWAYS).. let me say again ALWAYS LOL...

#13: Re: I Got In!!! Author: RAF92_MoserLocation: Illinois PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:03 pm
    ----
I'm looking into my airport nearby for a job, so I can get around the aircraft more. I've heard CAP gives free ground school, I wonder if the airport nearby gives ground school. Probably best get to get my feet wet first.

And I'll look for Arc when I re-install FS2004, thats if everyone has gone to FSX by then lol.

-> Officer's Club