340th Bomb Group and Vesuvius Eruption-1944
-> Officer's Club

#1: 340th Bomb Group and Vesuvius Eruption-1944 Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 1:11 am
    ----
Some cool pics here. I'm on a Vesuvio kick 'cuz I jut got back from a congress in Sorrento and took a mess o' pics in Pompeii (I had NO idea how BIG Pompeii is!).

Ah gots nice 'uns from the "lupinare" (err...house of ill repute), but those would have to go in Miss Kitty's, even as Roman art.

Check this out:

www.warwingsart.com/12...uvius.html

#2: Re: 340th Bomb Group and Vesuvius Eruption-1944 Author: Shadow_Banshee PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:03 am
    ----
ok wheres the pompeii pics? i love that place, would be nice to time warp back to that lupinare just to see it in action lol. that place rates with the temples in luxor in my opinion,
I have always had a fasination with pompiie after hearing stories about it from my old fella who visited it during WW2,

since those stories i made it to most of the places in north africa italy france and germany tunisia that he fought in only tobruk and el alamein left to do, and hopefully i'll complete those in the next two years.

the trip to el alamein is the one i'm most looking foward to, a visit the war cemetary where some of my Dads gun crew rest is a must for me as the old fella never made it back to visit his fallen buddies..

Try google earth on pompeii you will be amaized how good that is for checking out historicle places you have visited or are going to,
i recently found the El Alamein battlefield thats still scarred to this day and the mine fields really visible, i compared it with a WW2 map of the battle field and troop positions...

post the pics!!!!!

#3: Re: 340th Bomb Group and Vesuvius Eruption-1944 Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 4:03 am
    ----
Careful what you wish for...I took about a hunnerd of 'em. Wink
(I liked those stone beds in the lupinare...easy to wash down with a bucket of water, if ya knowhutahmean....)
Vesuvio from the Forum:

The main baths:

#4: Re: 340th Bomb Group and Vesuvius Eruption-1944 Author: Uhu_RodionLocation: L'Aquila, Italy PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 9:49 am
    ----
- Shadow_Banshee
ok wheres the pompeii pics? i love that place, would be nice to time warp back to that lupinare just to see it in action lol. that place rates with the temples in luxor in my opinion,

-> www.archart.it/archart...panare.htm

Mr. Green
Marco

#5: Re: 340th Bomb Group and Vesuvius Eruption-1944 Author: Uhu_FledermausLocation: Blaricum, The Netherlands ~GMT+1 PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 10:12 am
    ----
Herculaneum seems also to be very nice to visit
have a peek HERE

fled
Cool

#6: Re: 340th Bomb Group and Vesuvius Eruption-1944 Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:49 pm
    ----
- Uhu_Rodion
- Shadow_Banshee

-> www.archart.it/archart...panare.htm

Mr. Green
Marco

Good news, Marco. It's all been restored since those pics were taken...the second story is in (but not open) and there is lots of nice lighting.

THIS is why I refuse to fly coach class.....

Some of my associates also went to Erculanum, report that the exhibits are nice, but the neighorhood it's in was-a not-a so nice-a. So sad, yes?

#7: Re: 340th Bomb Group and Vesuvius Eruption-1944 Author: Uhu_RodionLocation: L'Aquila, Italy PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 5:25 pm
    ----
Yeah, Ascout, I read somewhere they also inaugurated the official opening of the fully restored "lupanare" since the end of October, so you've been quite timely in your visit. Cool

As for Ercolano, I'm not sure if your mates refer to this, but the area is since months affected by a discomfotingly high level of environmental degradation, with heaps of undischarged garbage and a severe risk of infections. Neutral

Oh, there's also a worrying increase of "camorra" murders, another kind of infection: the counting up of the corpses is like a daily war bulletin, and the extra policemen the governement promised to send to gain control over the territory haven't yet arrived.

Somebody suggested to send there the Army, like in Sicily a few years ago - not exactly good advertisment for those who think to spend here their holidays!

Marco

#8: Re: 340th Bomb Group and Vesuvius Eruption-1944 Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 5:47 pm
    ----
- Uhu_Rodion

As for Ercolano, I'm not sure if your mates refer to this, but the area is since months affected by a discomfotingly high level of environmental degradation, with heaps of undischarged garbage and a severe risk of infections. Neutral

Oh, there's also a worrying increase of "camorra" murders, another kind of infection: the counting up of the corpses is like a daily war bulletin, and the extra policemen the governement promised to send to gain control over the territory haven't yet arrived.

Somebody suggested to send there the Army, like in Sicily a few years ago - not exactly good advertisment for those who think to spend here their holidays!

Marco

Yeah, they mentioned a proliferation of rats (not unknown in Italia, but not in the numbers they saw).

Fortunately, they didn't have any encounters with the other specie of rat.

I'm glad for the cleanup of Sicilia....I adore Palermo! (Two arancini, please....)

Where is L'Aquila, anyway. I'm in Italia a LOT (mostly from Siena to points north).

#9: Re: 340th Bomb Group and Vesuvius Eruption-1944 Author: Uhu_RodionLocation: L'Aquila, Italy PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 7:59 pm
    ----
Rats, lol, if they met only rats, they've been lucky Laughing

I think I'm out of your usual routes - maybe L'Aquila is out of any route: you can't get there by chance, though it's not far from Rome - some 60 miles north-east of it, in the Appennines Mountains.

Anyway, if you stumble here in the right time, we have strawberries of our own - not many, but enough to taste the coming of the new season Mr. Green

Marco

#10: Re: 340th Bomb Group and Vesuvius Eruption-1944 Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 8:43 pm
    ----
The "facilities", a five-holer.

"Yo, Citizen....pass the papyrus!"

-> Officer's Club