Combat Garage tonight on the History Channel
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Combat Garage tonight on the History Channel Author: SHAWN PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 3:38 am
    ----
the MilSpec guys are working on an M50...

#2: Re: Combat Garage tonight on the History Channel Author: Dubliner PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 5:28 pm
    ----
nt

Last edited by Dubliner on Sat Mar 24, 2007 1:27 pm; edited 2 times in total

#3: Re: Combat Garage tonight on the History Channel Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 5:50 pm
    ----
- SHAWN
the MilSpec guys are working on an M50...

Yeah, but the owner (upstate NY - not on the register?) wanted it painted in US colors. That kinda annoys me... Especially since it is equipped with a French gun based on the German 75...

Neil

#4: Re: Combat Garage tonight on the History Channel Author: SHAWN PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:44 pm
    ----
i agree, there wasnt enough action or involvement to keep the average viewer interested. i am not a true gear head, but i did enjoy watching jesse james go over and wrench in iraq. that show kept me interested right up until the end...

the combat gargage had some good documentary footage and some historical trivia tidbits

(maybe they should have had a father and sons to curse each other out and throw stuff-- the tension element....) the Milspec guys had what to deal with, no cranes and they had to use both standard and metric tools...

the show was a step in a nice direction; hope they continue.

#5: Re: Combat Garage tonight on the History Channel Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 5:40 pm
    ----
What they really need to do is have them standing by a real Armor unit and document the crew and maintenance teams actions and reactions when a tank gets towed in after getting hit by an IED Shocked . Then follow the process of them putting it back together. Trust me, it makes for some pretty interesting viewing. You'll get the cursing Mad , the aggravation Crying or Very sad and the higher ups on your butt pressing you to complete the job quickly Mad . The added bonus is the ocassional (regular in someplaces) rocket/ mortar attacks interupting you Shocked . Just a thought Mr. Green .

Joe D

#6: Re: Combat Garage tonight on the History Channel Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:29 pm
    ----
Actually send tthe suggestion into Discovery or History Channel. They may do it. Maybe we should all send it in.

#7: Re: Combat Garage tonight on the History Channel Author: SHAWN PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:55 pm
    ----
that sounds appealing to my interest-- stay with a TC and his crew for a week... or stay with the engineers/mechanics for a week...

could it be done without compromising the unit, the location, etc, etc, etc.?
(many would feel this to be so...folks jumped on me for asking what armor is there in iraq. seems that most deploying units are leaving the steel behind...)
would the cable channels see it as a "story" that they would want to spend the time, people and money on such an idea? unfortunately, it isnt about supporting your friends and brothers and countrymen, it is about the money and the story... the war isnt front page and it isnt a seller right now (unless it is bad news).

i dont know how the show did, but i did watch "off to war" when it was airing...
but along those lines of a real-time combat garage... that perks my interest: cover everything from armor, to air, get everyone in on it.
wonder if the armed forces would go for such an idea?

#8: Re: Combat Garage tonight on the History Channel Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:43 am
    ----
The Ultimate 'Dirty Job' (If any of y'all watch that series :-))

#9: Re: Combat Garage tonight on the History Channel Author: SHAWN PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 4:51 am
    ----
yes, with mike rowe. i like his show. i hope he gets paid well. he was catching snakes recently, got bit many times...
he did an episode where he was working with some u.s. army personnel working as a truck driver, running cable to retreive a stuck truck, getting ambushed...
he has cleaned out an air force refueling plane...
i think the navy has some jobs he oughta do

-> AFV News Discussion Board