Aberdeen's Jagdtiger recently restored?
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Aberdeen's Jagdtiger recently restored? Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:02 pm
    ----
Hello,

I've read on a German forum that the Aberdeen Jagdtiger was recently restored and that it is now stored in a new building. Is it true?

http://www.militaria-fundforum.de/thread.php?threadid=71373&threadview=0&hilight=&hilightuser=0&page=6

that's the last post on this page.. for those who read German

Pierre-Olivier

#2: Re: Aberdeen's Jagdtiger recently restored? Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:05 am
    ----
Well I can't read German so I'll take your word for what it says (By the way what does it say about the Tiger I? I noticed it mentioned in the same posting)

But unless things have really happened fast at Aberdeen there is no truth in the report. As of early December the Jagdtiger was still sitting in Row 3 behind the museum. The staff has never mentioned to me that it is to be worked on soon and from appearances there is no reason for it to be done on an expedited basis. I'll see what I can find out when I call up there this week. In some ways it would slightly upset me if they moved it since it is very popular on my tours (especially with younger groups. They are really impressed with the 'ice cream scoops' in the front armor)

#3: Re: Aberdeen's Jagdtiger recently restored? Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:41 am
    ----
Concerning the Tiger 1, he says (more or less !!) :
"Don't forget that some items are leased to museums. The best example being the Tiger 1 : it was in Aberdeen since its capture, and came in Germany where it was restored during the 90s, and it was exposed in museums like Sinsheim. Now it is back to the States (but I don't know where). So a regularly updated list of tanks is necessary."

It seems that his information are quite inaccurate, and maybe he mixed up the Kingtiger which was at Aberdeen and is now at Fort Knox; and the Jagdtiger who is definitely not restored.

Pierre-Olivier

#4: Re: Aberdeen's Jagdtiger recently restored? Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:51 pm
    ----
- the_shadock
Concerning the Tiger 1, he says (more or less !!) :
"Don't forget that some items are leased to museums. The best example being the Tiger 1 : it was in Aberdeen since its capture, and came in Germany where it was restored during the 90s, and it was exposed in museums like Sinsheim. Now it is back to the States (but I don't know where). So a regularly updated list of tanks is necessary."

It seems that his information are quite inaccurate, and maybe he mixed up the Kingtiger which was at Aberdeen and is now at Fort Knox; and the Jagdtiger who is definitely not restored.

Pierre-Olivier

Well his Tiger 1 info is wrong also.

1) It is still in the UK being restored (Which was supposed to be done while it was in Germany but apparently was not)

If I seemed curt a couple seeks back when someone sort of jokingly talked about keeping the Tiger 1 in the UK this is one of the reasons. There is so much misinformation on the Web that someone could have seen the exchange taking place here and used that to start claiming teh Aberdeen Tiger 1 was going to stay in the UK. I know I am only a volunteer and have very little 'official' standing at Aberdeen but it gets annoying sometimes. I am actually looking forward to the time when they do refurb the Jagdtiger. I want to see the inside and check out the story I have about the reason the gun is in full recoil (or beyond)

#5: Re: Aberdeen's Jagdtiger recently restored? Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 3:24 pm
    ----
Bob, having done the Surviving Panzers list, I know how wrong and inaccurate the information are on the web. Thanks for your help Wink

Pierre-Olivier

#6: Re: Aberdeen's Jagdtiger recently restored? Author: clausb PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:16 pm
    ----
- bsmart
Well his Tiger 1 info is wrong also.

1) It is still in the UK being restored (Which was supposed to be done while it was in Germany but apparently was not)

That depends on what you mean by "restored". The Germans cleaned it up pretty good and repainted it inside and out, so my guess would be that it was in a considerably better state when it left German that it was when it left the US.

Claus B

#7: Re: Aberdeen's Jagdtiger recently restored? Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:30 pm
    ----
As I understand it the German museums did not do the work that was called for in the loan agreement, and then tried to keep the tank when it was supposed to be returned. All that pre-dates my involvement at Aberdeen so I am working from second hand information (Anything I know about any Tiger 1 is from second hand knowledge. When I was able to visit Bovington it was 2 days after they took their Tiger 1 off display for it's refurbishment a few years back. For all I really know there are no Tiger 1s in existence, or maybe they never existed and were just a propoganda ruse)

#8: Re: Aberdeen's Jagdtiger recently restored? Author: clausb PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:47 pm
    ----
- bsmart
As I understand it the German museums did not do the work that was called for in the loan agreement, and then tried to keep the tank when it was supposed to be returned. All that pre-dates my involvement at Aberdeen so I am working from second hand information.

You get a slightly different account from the Germans - unsurprisingly Smile

I dont know what kind of work was called for, but judging from the old pictures from Aberdeen, I've seen, the Germans did some work on it, even if it wasn't all that was required.

Maybe well get the complete story some day.

In the meantime, I'm pissed that the APG Tiger was removed from a public museum a few hours away from where I live and has for years been placed somewhere in the UK without public acces. Wink

Wonder if any work have been done on it since it left Germany?

Claus B

#9: Re: Aberdeen's Jagdtiger recently restored? Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:01 pm
    ----
I have it on good authority that much work has been done and it is close to 'coming home'

Other than that vague comment rest assured that as soon as I know more details they will be passed on

#10: Re: Aberdeen's Jagdtiger recently restored? Author: jtrowbridge5 PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:55 pm
    ----
bob.
did you ever read Richard Cox book, tiger without a home????it was published by the u.s.army at aberdeen with complete history from capture to its loan to germany in 1989
dennis

#11: Re: Aberdeen's Jagdtiger recently restored? Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:17 pm
    ----
Yes - And if anyone wants one they are available through the Gift Shop at Aberdeen. I think the cover price is about $10.00. Maybe we'll be able to do an update soon. Hopefully Neil will do the pictures and add it to his 'AFVs in the U.S. list, Maybe he'll make it the cover picture

-> AFV News Discussion Board