Depleted Uranium Armor
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Depleted Uranium Armor Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:35 pm
    ----
When DU armor was added was it just on the front-facing armor?

#2: Re: Depleted Uranium Armor Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:48 pm
    ----
And everyone can know hear the crickets chirping in the background..........

Sorry Mark, can't help you.

#3: Re: Depleted Uranium Armor Author: LeeW PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:09 pm
    ----
Best bet if your a DA employee is probable to call the PM HBCT or PM Abrams and see if they can tell you. There is a possibility it is classifed but I'm sure they'll tell you if that's the case.

#4: Re: Depleted Uranium Armor Author: mike_Duplessis PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:02 pm
    ----
My own "doesn't know what he's talkng about" impression is that DU may just cover the frontal arc. I recall one of the trials vehicles having extra steel plates welded to the turret face to represent the added weight.

#5: Re: Depleted Uranium Armor Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:37 pm
    ----
Update: The weld number on the turret ends in "U" indicating DU but the hull does not. So I assume the DU is front-facing turret armor. Just a guess.

#6: Re: Depleted Uranium Armor Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 6:51 pm
    ----
"Chirp, Chirp, Chirp"

"Crickets chirping in the background"

#7: Re: Depleted Uranium Armor Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 9:14 pm
    ----
Hi Mark! Hi Folks!

- MarkHolloway

When DU armor was added was it just on the front-facing armor?

The location of the panels is not classifed folks.

Drawing is from the July-August 2000 issue of Armor Magazine. Pages 32-33 and 48 by Mike Sheheane. Story is a reprint from the January 2000 issue of Army Chemical Review.

Note from the article: The DU used by the US is 40 percent less radioactive than natural uranium. DU is a heavy metal like lead and just like breathing or eating lead dust, it is not good for you.

This drawing is from the old Journal of Military Ordance November 2000, pages 24-25. Same author and story, just different drawing.

Spot Report!
Sgt, Scouts Out!

#8: Re: Depleted Uranium Armor Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 11:47 pm
    ----
Thanks for the info, Roy. I'm sure the evironmentalists are happy to know they are 40% less radioactive Wink

#9: Re: Depleted Uranium Armor Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 5:07 pm
    ----
Did anyone catch the error? The first photo is labeled M1A2 but it's an M1A1.

#10: Re: Depleted Uranium Armor Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:05 pm
    ----
Hi Mark, Roy.
Yep, some things may not be classified but if you still wear the green (or actually the pixallated grey now) suit and your job is not Public Affairs it is best not to say anything. This even applies to recent retiree's. The rule of thumb is beter to keep quite and ensure you don't say the wrong thing than say something you believe isn't classified and be wrong Shocked . Words I've lived by for a long time.

Joe D
Cool

#11: Re: Depleted Uranium Armor Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:37 pm
    ----
Hi Joe! Hi Folks!

- Joe_D

Yep, some things may not be classified but if you still wear the green (or actually the pixallated grey now) suit and your job is not Public Affairs it is best not to say anything. This even applies to recent retiree's. The rule of thumb is beter to keep quite and ensure you don't say the wrong thing than say something you believe isn't classified and be wrong Shocked . Words I've lived by for a long time.
Joe D

Roger that Joe!

That's why it took so long for me to say anything, I waited until I was able to find that article first. I was suprised when I found it that I had two different magazine copies of the same report.

Some time back I read an interview of Tom Clancy. He told a story about the Navy sending a security investigator over to find out how he knew so much about the U.S. Navy's submarines and anti-submarine systems. It seams that some Adrimal was upset after seeing the Hunt for Red October and wanted to know how a civilian knew some much. Clancy was able to show the investigator a filing cabenet full of news paper and magazine articles clippings that showed ever thing he wrote about in his book "Red October" had been declassifed.

When talking about things that have or might still be classified, make sure you have documentation that shows you are talking about items that have been de-classified and made available to the public.

Hey Mark! Good eye, I totally missed that M1A2 label on that M1A1.

Sgt, Scouts Out!

#12: Re: Depleted Uranium Armor Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:13 pm
    ----
Hi Roy,
I'll go one further, Just because it was published in an article/web page doesn't mean you can talk about it. Some of them are nothing more than bait put out there to either confirm or deny the information they have. I have spent a great deal more time with M1's than M60's, but I tend to keep M1 stuff mostly too myself. One obvious reason is they are being used in combat as we speak. I also believe that just because the information is not sensitive/classified why should I make it easy for the bad guys to get it. Armor and it's strengths/weaknesses is one subject too many of the bad guys are very interested in.
With that said I will say this DG and it's members are very good about keeping the discussions away from sensitive subjects. I'm sure it's because most have the "Been there, done that" background.

I will now hop off my soap box.
Joe D

-> AFV News Discussion Board