How do you pilot your tank?
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: How do you pilot your tank? Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:54 pm
    ----
If you ever wanted to be a jet pilot, you could try to take off with your vehicle..

Just take care of hard landings, there is no ejector seat.. :

Please slow down when crossing a bridge.. :

And try to aim well when you want to park your vehicle :

Need some gas?

Why don't you try this heavy-armored tractor :

P-O

#2: Re: How do you pilot your tank? Author: rynokiLocation: Australia PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:09 am
    ----
The tank upside down in the river ( I can't tell what it is, Leo2, Abrams?) is a scary thing indeed. Can anyone tell me do modern tanks still have escape hatches for crew in those situations?

#3: Re: How do you pilot your tank? Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:33 am
    ----
It looks like a Leo 2. Not an Abrams.

Escape hatches are a thing of the past. If located in the underside of the hull they are more of a weak point for blast penetration from a mine.

Don

#4: Re: How do you pilot your tank? Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:40 am
    ----
- the_shadock

P-O

This is at Hohenfels in 1999. I have seen a similiar photo of a tank running off the bunkers at Hohenfels back in 1989, in the exact same place.

BTW: This is located in an off-limits area of the manuever area.

Don

#5: Re: How do you pilot your tank? Author: L.Delsing PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:01 pm
    ----
- rynoki
The tank upside down in the river ( I can't tell what it is, Leo2, Abrams?) is a scary thing indeed. Can anyone tell me do modern tanks still have escape hatches for crew in those situations?

Swedish Leopard 2.

The Leopard 2 has a escape hatch just behind de driver. In the past in was trained to get out with the crew. First at the barracks and after that in the field.

If it is done during training the last couple of years I don't know.

Regards,
Lesley

-> AFV News Discussion Board