These are at the Argentine Army Museum in Buenos Aires,
Go to page Previous  1, 2  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#16: Re: These are at the Argentine Army Museum in Buenos Aires, Author: Maple_Leaf_Eh PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 8:18 pm
    ----
Getting slightly sidetracked ...

The M3 halftrack as a straight-forward armoured truck - plates around the engine, driver and a rear box, driven front axle, short drive shaft and differentials, and a basic track laying mechanism on the rear end. For a more simple but rugged "AFV", there aren't many others. There are pictures of M3 conversions with rear wheels, Mexican maybe.

The tracks are a continuous rubber band with and steel wires. When the wires break or the rubber wears down, the whole thing is discarded. If the Israelis used their halftracks for so long they must have produced their own tracks. I wonder if the Latin Americans are doing likewise or they are buying spares from Israel?

#17: Re: These are at the Argentine Army Museum in Buenos Aires, Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:07 pm
    ----
Armyjunk...

Can you get me, quickly, some information from your friend regarding the location, hours, access info, anything on this museum's status? I'm on my way to B.A. next week for about 6 days and might have some extra time. If he's got any useful contacts, let me know if there's someone I can call (or have called...I have Argentinian associates there with whom I work).
I'll also be going to LaPlata and Rosario for sure...

'Preciate it!

I'll be going over to Montevideo also, if he knows anything useful over there...

Doug

#18: Re: These are at the Argentine Army Museum in Buenos Aires, Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:24 pm
    ----
DOUG He is in the air today, i sent him a Email. we will see.....

#19: Re: These are at the Argentine Army Museum in Buenos Aires, Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:29 pm
    ----
- armyjunk2
DOUG He is in the air today, i sent him a Email. we will see.....

Yow!...that was quick...thanks!

Show you how popular we is...I found this thread by "Googling" for Argentina and Army Museum's.... Laughing

#20: Re: These are at the Argentine Army Museum in Buenos Aires, Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:54 pm
    ----
This look like the place?

www.dahe.ejercito.mil....index.html

...That's definitely it...and they had a map...I've notified my contacts in B.A. and asked them to contact the place so if we have time, it's handled. Thanks, AJ!

D.

#21: Re: These are at the Argentine Army Museum in Buenos Aires, Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 5:10 pm
    ----
Doug do you still need any info? My friend is back for a few days

#22: Re: These are at the Argentine Army Museum in Buenos Aires, Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:28 pm
    ----
- armyjunk2
Doug do you still need any info? My friend is back for a few days

Thanks, just need an aircraft that works and some clear weather after hunkering down in Dallas following three hours in a 767 that never took off and then cancelled last night. Rolling Eyes Waiting to try again in 90 minutes (only one flight per day).

#23: Re: These are at the Argentine Army Museum in Buenos Aires, Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 8:00 pm
    ----
Update: Just had a day that exceeded my expectations by a considerable degree. Many pics (will be starting a new thread when I get back...may need a premium Photobucket account....)

I can´t say enough about the staff so far at the museum here...very helpful and interested personnel that granted access to the 5-6 Shermans...exterior and interior for photos...many modified to turbo-diesel and 105 mm guns (will need help from Kurt and Joe on this as I´m no Sherman expert). Full engine and gun displays too. To return tomorrow to meet with some senior officers and apparently they have records of S/Ns and such (which have been removed from the vehicles since they´ve been extensively modified except for one...and the one turret trainer). So far, they have exceptionally gracious and accomodating and I hope to recruit some of the staff to our forum as they have a library and apparently keep good records and are inclined to share....very good attitudes and just the kind of people we look for and value. Great collection of vehicles and artillery and I´m looking forward to tomorrow´s appointment. One of the best experiences I´ve ever had in a foreign military museum, without exception.

#24: Re: These are at the Argentine Army Museum in Buenos Aires, Author: toadmanstankpictures PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:53 pm
    ----
Doug, thanks for the update. Looking forward to the Sherman pics!

#25: Re: These are at the Argentine Army Museum in Buenos Aires, Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:44 pm
    ----
- toadmanstankpictures
Doug, thanks for the update. Looking forward to the Sherman pics!

Well, those will follow after I get home because I don´t have my cable here or enough Photobucket space for all of it...so here are three teasers taken by a colleague that I could grab. I was back today (the museum is normally closed on Monday, but Argentinian hospitality knows no bounds) and the Director del Museo , Coronel Sanchez and Teniente Coronel Solanet (among other that I´ll name in a later thread) were incredibly gracious hosts and I am grateful for the the reception and courtesy they extended during my two days there (a very special officer in the person of Principal Segado made yesterday exceptional and I send a big hug to Cintia Disario for her patience).

I can confirm at least six Shermans in Buenos Aires...five at the Museo and one in front of the Ministry of Defense (I have pics of all of them) and then there is an additional one configured as a recuperado (tank recovery vehicle...pictured). Two are more-or-less original, the others are moderized. I have a line on others in the country and will be working on those through additional contacts.

Kinda´pressed for time now, so I´ll just post three pics and start a new thread in a week or so with a more complete story and proposal on a new AFV registry for Argentina.

Do I look happy or whut?

#26: Re: These are at the Argentine Army Museum in Buenos Aires, Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:25 pm
    ----
Doug

You probably know it but that recovery vehicle is one of the early ones based on the M3 Lee, the daddy of the Sherman. Can't wait to see the rest!!

#27: Re: These are at the Argentine Army Museum in Buenos Aires, Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:58 pm
    ----
- bsmart
Doug

You probably know it but that recovery vehicle is one of the early ones based on the M3 Lee, the daddy of the Sherman. Can't wait to see the rest!!

That was also my impression from the welded sides, etc....but they have it on the logs as a Sherman (they opened the books, which I had hoped would include original S/N´s, but it was not to be...we´ll go into Arg. Army Reg. numbers later...I recorded all that). I imagine it went into the books as whatever somebody wrote down way back when. (Even better, I can now contact the Coronel and with the correct info and they can amend...please to provide any exact designations you might have so I can do that...I have his email)

They log chassis and guns separately and use unique numbering system that does not correlate to the mfg. numbers (which seem to have been ground off or welded over or both in some cases...I´ll post pics of this and you experts can decide). I do have pics of all numbers on front differentials, where they appear. There are no numbers on tow points or back decks remaining. Keep in mind that most of the vehicles underwent substantial upgrades and modernizations so this is not surprizing.

Got great pics of the pentomic engine on a stand.

-> AFV News Discussion Board