Some pictures from APG - LT-35 & M60A0
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Some pictures from APG - LT-35 & M60A0 Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:46 pm
    ----
Got up to the Ordnance Museum at APG today, and thankfully made it back! - found some of the roads in Northern Virginia quite atrocious after some freezing rain upon our return!

At any rate, before the snow & freezing rain set it, I met up with Bob - I trust you made it back okay? - took some pictures of the LT-35, which has been newly repainted in Czechoslovak colors, as well as some of the M60A0 that Joe D wanted to see some pictures of...

So first off, the LT-35. It looks much better in this paint scheme IMO than the previous German charcoal black/grey... I just wish I had these pictures a month ago for my "War in 1938" paper.

Notice all the silver marks - those are bullet impacts, supposedly from when the US Army captured it at Hillerslieben Proving Ground in 1945. There are marks on the sides and even rear... Which may mean it was in a crossfire between US & German forces???

An interior shot - of the engine? Best shot I could get through an opening...

Neil

#2: Re: Some pictures from APG - LT-35 & M60A0 Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:51 pm
    ----
Some AFV interior quizes - can anyone guess what these are of?

Neil

#3: Re: Some pictures from APG - LT-35 & M60A0 Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:03 am
    ----
Here's the M60A0 - SN 7? - that Joe D was so interested in.

Unfortunately, I dont think I was able to find that SN on it (although thats what the Ordnance Museum Guide CD say it is).

Notice it has 3 shocks on each side...

Here's a pic of a number stamped on the hull - 15.

Unfortunately, my pic of the tow lug number (which I dont remember of course - but I dont think it was 7) didnt come out - those are often hit or miss Sad But I did find SN 4430 on the M60A2 in storage:

Neil

Last edited by Neil_Baumgardner on Sat Feb 03, 2007 5:58 pm; edited 1 time in total

#4: Re: Some pictures from APG - LT-35 & M60A0 Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:50 am
    ----
I made it home fine, only snow on the north side of Baltimore.

The LT-35 does look good. I just wish it was back in the row where it belongs!!

#5: Re: Some pictures from APG - LT-35 & M60A0 Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:06 am
    ----
- Neil_Baumgardner
So first off, the LT-35. It looks much better in this paint scheme IMO than the previous German charcoal black/grey...

I preferred it in its previous German paint. Even if this one is more beautiful because being more colorful, the other one was a German paint...
By the way, did they bring other vehicles to the workshop, and which ones?

Pierre-Olivier

#6: Re: Some pictures from APG - LT-35 & M60A0 Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:31 am
    ----
The 'Mae West' hull that was behind the refurb shop is no longer there (The turrets still are) so I'm hoping it's inside being worked on. I didn't have a chance to ask Ed Heasley what was in tehre when I talked to him last week, I'm going to try and get a few minutes to call him today, I'll try and remember to ask. The Firefly and the Mk VI light tank are still behind the refurb shop.

#7: Re: Some pictures from APG - LT-35 & M60A0 Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:30 pm
    ----
Neil,
Thanks for posting the M60 Pictures. Thanks also for the A2 serial number. Of the 7 M60A2's I know to still exist, I now know one of their serial numbers. I have pictures of SN 4427, but it is now an AVLB still in service.
I'd sure like to know more about that 3 shock M60. It's obviously one of the originals first made but I wonder if it originally had three shocks as an alternate hull arrangement or if it was modified later to test it for the newer A1 hull design.

Joe D

#8: Re: Some pictures from APG - LT-35 & M60A0 Author: pineyLocation: Republic of Southern New Jersey PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:25 pm
    ----
Hi Neil

gonna take a guess, are the interior shots of the FT-17 ka-ka-ka-katy ?

Jeff Lewis

#9: Re: Some pictures from APG - LT-35 & M60A0 Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:37 pm
    ----
Well, the first two are... What about the third?

Neil

#10: Re: Some pictures from APG - LT-35 & M60A0 Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 5:45 pm
    ----
- Neil_Baumgardner
Some AFV interior quizes - can anyone guess what these are of?

Okay, I guess no one is going to guess this one - its a Ford M1918 3-ton tank. This is where the two crewmembers sat? or lay?
Neil

#11: Re: Some pictures from APG - LT-35 & M60A0 Author: ponce PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:17 am
    ----
Hi Neil,
In your second M-60 pic there's a vehicle behind on the right. I can't recognize it. Can you say what it is?
Ponce

#12: Re: Some pictures from APG - LT-35 & M60A0 Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:36 am
    ----
Let's make a quiz out of it

What is the Vehicle on the Right side of the picture behind the M-60?

Anyone who has been on one of my tours should know

#13: Re: Some pictures from APG - LT-35 & M60A0 Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:54 am
    ----
Hi Folks!

Don't have my Hunnicutt Stuart Light tank book with me so the best I can do is say that is the light tank pilot that keep growing until it was almost a M4 Sherman and then it was killed because it was to much like a Sherman.

Sgt, Scouts Out!

#14: Re: Some pictures from APG - LT-35 & M60A0 Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:01 am
    ----
Okay, we think we know what it is but what was the name?

Do I award 1/2 credit? Neutral I don't know Rolling Eyes Whenever i help my wife or daughter grade papers they claim I'm too tough of a grader. (I was also known for the comments I write next to math problems my daughters middle school students screw up Twisted Evil )

We'll hold off on credit for the moment

#15: Re: Some pictures from APG - LT-35 & M60A0 Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:31 pm
    ----
Hi Bob! Hi Folks!

That vehicle came from the T7 light tank development program. The vehicle was standardized August 6, 1942 as the medium tank M7. After a total production run of 13 tanks of which six were modified (due to problems found with the design), records show a total of seven M7 medium tanks being accepted.

So now we have a third question.
Is that one of the six modified vehicles or one of the seven accepted production vehicles?

The test goes on! Twisted Evil
Sgt, Scouts Out!

PS: Ref: Hunnicutt's Stuart, Pages 199-212.

-> AFV News Discussion Board