AMD back in the game?
Go to page Previous  1, 2  :| |:
-> Hardware

#16: Re: AMD back in the game? Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:42 pm
    ----
- HF_SlowHand
Regards Adrian and Shades
That made kinda weird reading for a moment there.
My real name's Adrian but my friends call me Shades.
Hence the callsign.
lolol

#17: Re: AMD back in the game? Author: Adrian_Wainer PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:26 pm
    ----
- HF_SlowHand
Regards Adrian and Shades,

I may go the overclocking route, dunno. You know I had thought about "dual core processor" but what with everything I read and every one I talked to daid no - they were great for number crunching/data but not good for gaming?

Not true then?

Maybe a rudimentary class on what to look for when building a gamer? (GAMER 101?)

Many thanks!
Jim aka slow

I am using the AMD Athlon 4800 dualie for FSX, which is a sim which is makes only minimal use of dual-core but I am confident that the dual core is haveing a posative effect, in that my assumption is that the Windows XP is putting all the background computer housekeeping activities on one core and FSX on the other as one of the cores is running at about fifteen percent utilization and the other at about sixty.

Best and Warm Regards
Adrian Wainer

#18: Re: AMD back in the game? Author: Adrian_Wainer PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:35 pm
    ----
- Shades
BEWARE; With some boards (ie my Gigabutt GA-81K1100) they can take different amounts of RAM but start to bottleneck, the more you have.
Mine can take up to 4Gb of PC3200.
However it will only perform as PC3200 while there's 2Gb on the board.
If I put 3Gb in it, the whole lot will drop to PC2700 and, heaven forbid, should I put the whole 4Gb in it, it all drops to PC2100..

Shades would it be possible to get round that degrade issue by using two 2 Gigabyte sticks of RAM?, I know that it presently only a possability with DDR2 but I rather suspect DDR with get 2 Gig sticks too?

Best and Warm Regards
Adrian Wainer

#19: Re: AMD back in the game? Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:37 pm
    ----
Yeh, it's not the number of sticks (I upgraded my 2 x 512 = 1Gb, to 4 x 512 = 2Gb), it's the total amount of RAM and how the board handles it.

I have 2Gb of PC3200 over 4 of my 6 slots.
I could also have 2 x 1Gb sticks of PC3200 in 2 slots.
Both would work as PC3200 just fine.

But, if I were to go for 2 x 2Gb or 4 x 1Gb sticks, giving a total of 4Gb, then the whole lot would drop to PC2100.
My Gigabutt mobo also utilises dual channel and I have to use an even number of sticks (2, 4 or 6), otherwise the whole lot would drop to normal single channel.

This is a 3 year old machine, using DDR (DDR2 wasn't around in those days).
I'm not aware of it having changed but I haven't investigated since.

-> Hardware