Panzer by Generalmajor Theiss
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Panzer by Generalmajor Theiss Author: panthertank PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:29 pm
    ----
Howdy all,

just got this book today, but I'm curious when it was written and some more info on the writer. Anybody here who has a clue where to find it, or maybe knows something? I've added a picture of the bookcover as an attachment to this message.

#2: Re: Panzer by Generalmajor Theiss Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:40 pm
    ----
There's no copyright notice in it? Any publishing data at all? What language is it written in?

#3: Re: Panzer by Generalmajor Theiss Author: panthertank PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:53 pm
    ----
It's written in German, but no dates in it of any kind. I think it's most likely written during the war. Going by the end of it at least (translated by me, so prone to many errors):
'(Before it talks about changes in the way Germany's tanktroops looked during their campaigns in France, Greece, etc.) But one thing can be predicted: The German tankweapon till now has won in huge battles, in many a campaign she has been victorious, at the final victory (endsieg) she will also be in the front row of victorious weapons.'

#4: Re: Panzer by Generalmajor Theiss Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:30 pm
    ----
I found this description in French on Bookfinder.com:

"Publisher: S.nom D'éditeur. 1943., berlin.
IN-4. cartonnage d'éditeur décoré (manque le dos) plats tres propres, 140 pages avec dessins dans et hors-texte cartes et en fin d'ouvrage 50 photographies hors-texte. bon état. (interieurde l'ouvrage tres bon état). ouvrage en langue germanique. RARE OUVRAGE de propagande sur l'historique du nom panzer des chevaliers teutoniques des blindées allemands pendant la guerre 1914/18aux offensives allemandes guerre 1939/45 (PANZER +CHARS TIGRE)"

Babelfish translation:

"Publisher: S.nom Of Editor. 1943., Berlin. IN-4. boarding of decorated editor (lack the back) flat very clean, 140 pages with drawings in and inset plate charts and at the end of the work 50 photographs inset plate good state (interieurde the work very good state). work in Germanic language. RARE WORK of propaganda on the history of the name panzer of the knights teutonic of armoured German during the 1914/18aux war German offensives war 1939/45 (PANZER +CHARS TIGER)"

BTW, that bookstore is selling it for $150!

Neil

#5: Re: Panzer by Generalmajor Theiss Author: panthertank PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:11 pm
    ----
Neil, I don't believe that's the one. This book is only 66 pages (just counted them) and includes a map on the back (about the size of 4 pages) explaining a tactic (vernichtungsschlacht).

First the book starts of with the historic developement of tanks (going from chariots, etc.) Till world war II, where several pictures of individual tanks are shown and after that some of the tank tactics that were being used are shown.

#6: Re: Panzer by Generalmajor Theiss Author: clausb PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 1:22 pm
    ----
- panthertank
Howdy all,

just got this book today, but I'm curious when it was written and some more info on the writer. Anybody here who has a clue where to find it, or maybe knows something? I've added a picture of the bookcover as an attachment to this message.

Apparently it was a propaganda pamphlet translated and issued in other countries. I found a reference to a copy in Swedish titled "Pansar" and it is stated that it is also found in Italian as "Carri Armati".

Author is Rudolf Theiss, the original German title was "Panzer : Bildbericht über d. Herstellg u. d. Einsatz d. Panzers", it was published in Berlin by Deutsche Informationsstelle in 1943 and printed by Erasmusdruck also in Berlin. It is said to be 64 pages.

The page apparently doesn't exist anymore but is still cached on Google. Try searching

"Rudolf Theiss" panzer

Heres what appears to be the front of the Swedish issue:

I'm pretty sure that the author was the Austrian general Rudolf Theiss who lived 1887-1961 and served as a Captain in the Austro-Hungarian Army during WWI, advanced to Leutenant-Colonel in the Austrian Army and then to Major-General in the Wehrmacht. As a Colonel in the Wehrmacht, he wrote an article called "Der Panzer in der Weltgeschichte" in the Militär-Wochenblatt in 1940 (125/15 - 11 Oct. 1940 pp.705–8). So it would seem that he had already made his mark as an armour historian prior to the publication of the "Panzer" booklet.

Claus B

#7: Re: Panzer by Generalmajor Theiss Author: panthertank PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 1:34 pm
    ----
Awesome, thanks a lot for the information!

#8: Re: Panzer by Generalmajor Theiss Author: trismegistus PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 1:33 pm
    ----
Hi,
Some more information about this pamphlet:

As clausb found on my web-page, the author is the austrian general-major Rudolf Theiss, who also was a co-author of a book called Die Radfahrtruppe in 1925, and published an pamphlet about Panzer-Regiment Prinz Eugen in 1943. This pamphlet was later also published as an article in the german wartime-magazine Signal.

About the pamphlet "Panzer", not much is known. It was printed in Berlin 1943, but the swedish issue "Pansar" (swedish for Panzer) was not distributed until spring 1945 - then of course hopelessly outdated. It's really rare to find this pamphlet on the market today. I have never seen the german original issue before and in the swedish language I have only seen two copies - of which I have one in my own collection (the one on the picture above).

/ Peter

-> AFV News Discussion Board