Photos from Sinsheim Museum I took yesterday
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Photos from Sinsheim Museum I took yesterday Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:57 am
    ----
Here is the link :

Sinsheim Auto + Technik museum

More to come this afternoon and tomorrow !! (other vehicles, airplanes, trains etc..)

Pierre-Olivier

#2: Re: Photos from Sinsheim Museum I took yesterday Author: jcneelLocation: Victoria, Texas PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 12:02 pm
    ----
Wow! What an amazing museum. Great photos!

Thanks for sharing - look forward to more.

Thanks P-O

Chris Neel

#3: Re: Photos from Sinsheim Museum I took yesterday Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 1:53 pm
    ----
Very Cool. Thanks for posting them...

Don

#4: Re: Photos from Sinsheim Museum I took yesterday Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 4:48 pm
    ----
New photos added - Warbirds and some WW2 and modern AFVs stored outside. More to come !!

#5: Re: Photos from Sinsheim Museum I took yesterday Author: javallsLocation: Rio de Janeiro - BR PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 7:49 pm
    ----
Hi,

Amazing photos.
The unknown tank is one of the Leopard I prototypes.

Reagards,

J Valls

#6: Re: Photos from Sinsheim Museum I took yesterday Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:09 pm
    ----
J Valls, I was thinking the same thing... Any idea which series it is?

I note that the Ordnance Museum's Panzerjaeger II Marder II is no longer there...

Neil

#7: Re: Photos from Sinsheim Museum I took yesterday Author: javallsLocation: Rio de Janeiro - BR PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 9:21 pm
    ----
According to J. Spielberger book - Leopard und ihre Abarten, it is the prototype A2. (see picture on page 16)

Valls

#8: Re: Photos from Sinsheim Museum I took yesterday Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:00 pm
    ----
- Neil_Baumgardner

I note that the Ordnance Museum's Panzerjaeger II Marder II is no longer there...

Neil

It is in Kevin Wheatcroft's collection now, I've seen it when watching the "Tank Overhaul" show about the Panther restoration. Kevin also have the Panzer II which was previously in Munster. They might be returned to Aberdeen with the Tiger I.

P-O

#9: Re: Photos from Sinsheim Museum I took yesterday Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:03 pm
    ----
- javalls
Hi,

Amazing photos.
The unknown tank is one of the Leopard I prototypes.

Reagards,

J Valls

There are two different tanks, Unknown 1 and Unknown 2.. so the both are Leopard prototypes?

P-O

#10: Re: Photos from Sinsheim Museum I took yesterday Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:06 pm
    ----
- the_shadock
- Neil_Baumgardner

Neil

It is in Kevin Wheatcroft's collection now, I've seen it when watching the "Tank Overhaul" show about the Panther restoration. Kevin also have the Panzer II which was previously in Munster. They might be returned to Aberdeen with the Tiger I.

P-O

As I understand it it is included in the same contract as the Tiger. I believe it will come back at the same time, but it is coming back to Aberdeen

#11: Re: Photos from Sinsheim Museum I took yesterday Author: Maple_Leaf_Eh PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:34 am
    ----
What would the purpose be to paint triangle stripes on a Sherman without a gun? An observation tank - observing what?

#12: Re: Photos from Sinsheim Museum I took yesterday Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:00 am
    ----
That's the explanations, in German.. If someone can translate this it would be nice, but I can ask to a friend to do it..

P-O

#13: Re: Photos from Sinsheim Museum I took yesterday Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:29 am
    ----
- the_shadock
That's the explanations, in German.. If someone can translate this it would be nice, but I can ask to a friend to do it..

P-O

As I understand the board on the left, it is modified (weapons removed..) to allow fire fighters close access to extinguish fires. (...or something like that...)

Can't really read sign on the right.

My conservational German is many years faded, but I can still translate (albiet quiet poorly)

Perhaps its time to head back over to rediscover my past and to relearn on my previous language skills....

Don

#14: Re: Photos from Sinsheim Museum I took yesterday Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:10 am
    ----
Don, I can see the picture!!!
The sign says it that the gun was replaced with an armored glass observation port. The tank was made by US troops at the Meppen training area. Basically it was used for them to observe "Scharfsheissen" which means sharp shooting down range. I'm quite sure the concept was they could observe the strike of the round from down range and give adjustments when zeroing either tanks/direct fire weapons systems. That would explain the Hi-Vis paint job to prevent some one from shooting them. Both signs say about the same thing, the one on the right explains more in detail the zeroing process from what I can actually see. One sentence says " allowed crew to observe safely the strike of the rounds". No mention of it being used to put out fires or "Feurwehr" use. Guess they had the same problems then we do now observing shot strikes during screening and this was their answer. Service SABOT leaves a hole about the size of a Half Dollar, try finding the hole from 1500 meters with limited optics, real pain. (We screened all Service Sabot in 2003 at 1000 on Range 8 in Kuwait and still had some problems).

Joe D

#15: Re: Photos from Sinsheim Museum I took yesterday Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:50 pm
    ----
Album finished yet. I took some 700 pictures there and it was quite hard to make the choice of which pictures to publish. I added pics of guns, various vehicles, half-tracks, locomotives and various things..
Some titles are quite inaccurate, so if you could correct me, tell me which model it is, it would be nice (just tell me the number of the photo).

Pierre-Olivier

-> AFV News Discussion Board