Hayes Optupolak (I am sure I spelled that wrong)
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Hayes Optupolak (I am sure I spelled that wrong) Author: HellonwheelsV100 PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:24 pm
    ----
I have heard that Hayes Optupolak has several restored WW1 tanks, including the rhomboid shaped one. Does anyone have any pictures of these? I also heard there is a video (WW1 tanks in action or something like that) that featured these vehicles running in full color. Anyone have a copy of that too?

#2: Re: Hayes Optupolak (I am sure I spelled that wrong) Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:57 pm
    ----
Its HAYES OTOUPALIK from Missoula Montana and he did have a M1917 tank and also a Stuart. Yes, He did also have a video. I heard he had a heart attack. I can give him a call later on.

#3: Niel please add these if not already on list Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:24 pm
    ----
Ok, I spoke to Hayes and he has copies of his tank video they sell for 20.00 plus 4.50 postage. Its available in either VHS or DVD. I'm sorry I can't say much else about it as I haven't seen it, but it is his M-1917 tanks being driven.

Hayes has the following tracked vehicles;
M-1917 FT-17 Renault FR
M-1917 6Ton US Special Tractor (Tank)
M3A1 Light Tank US
M5A1 Light Tank US

HAYES OTOUPALIK
14000 Highway 93 North
Missoula, Montana 59802

HAYESOTOUPALIK @ aol.com

#4: Re: Hayes Optupolak (I am sure I spelled that wrong) Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:25 am
    ----
Correction....Hayes has the following

FT-17 French Tank Inside
US Model 1917 Tank Inside
US M3A1 Tank Inside
US M5A1 Tank Inside
M-8 Armored Car Inside
M-20 Armored Car Inside
M3A1 Scout Car Inside
M4A1 Halftrack, inside
T-16 US Armored Carrier, Inside
Missoula, Montana

#5: Re: Hayes Optupolak (I am sure I spelled that wrong) Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:50 am
    ----
I wonder how he got an actual FT-17?... There are appear to be only 5 in the US, and all the others are in museums.

Neil

#6: Re: Hayes Optupolak (I am sure I spelled that wrong) Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:00 am
    ----
you can email him and ask him, i called him while ago but didn't ask that

HAYESOTOUPALIK @ aol.com

#7: Re: Hayes Optupolak (I am sure I spelled that wrong) Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:55 am
    ----
Photos of both FT-17 and 6-ton are welcome. I also wonder where he got these..

Pierre-Olivier

#8: Re: Hayes Optupolak (I am sure I spelled that wrong) Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:35 pm
    ----
Hayes has had these a long time, has anyone emailed him yet?

#9: Re: Hayes Optupolak (I am sure I spelled that wrong) Author: HellonwheelsV100 PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:40 pm
    ----
I wrote him this morning. Will post more when I hear it. Thanks for all the help!

Dave

#10: Re: Hayes Optupolak (I am sure I spelled that wrong) Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:22 pm
    ----
I got a mail from Mr Otoupalik, and here is an extract of what he wrote :

"In your photo listing you have a duplication of one tank as two different tanks. The US Model 1917 as shown in Nitro, West Virginia is now in fact the one and same tank in the Fred Ropkey Armor Museum. For nearly 50 years this tank used to be located in Alexandria, Virginia. However in the early 1980s Dr. Moody was successful in purchasing this tank and upon his death it was brokered by an armor dealer in Ohio to Fred Ropkey who has done a ground up restoration."

Neil, it seems that the mystery about the 6-ton M1917 in Nitro is solved.

Pierre-Olivier

#11: Re: Hayes Optupolak (I am sure I spelled that wrong) Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:24 pm
    ----
Interesting... I wonder if the Nitro mayor knows this! Wink

Any info on the FT-17?

Neil

#12: Re: Hayes Optupolak (I am sure I spelled that wrong) Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:38 pm
    ----
In his mail, Mr Otoupalik said that he will send me paper photos of his FT-17 and M-1917 tanks. I will post them here. He will also send me a listing of FT-17 and M1917 preserved around the world which he is keeping. He has very interesting details on some tanks, and I will publish his listing on this forum, with his agreement, as soon as I get it.

P-O

#13: Re: Hayes Optupolak (I am sure I spelled that wrong) Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:48 pm
    ----
Thats really strange, I see Fred Ropkey all the time, I never thought to ask where the tank came from. Very good that he has it as he will get it running.

#14: Re: Hayes Optupolak (I am sure I spelled that wrong) Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:03 am
    ----
http://www.kansascity.com/105/story/344756.html

This article says that Mr Otoupalik decided to sell his FT-17 tank to the Kansas City WW1 museum and it will be "on exhibit by spring". That's great news, a real WW1 vet which fought in 1918 will be accessible to the public.

Pierre-Olivier

#15: Re: Hayes Optupolak (I am sure I spelled that wrong) Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:52 pm
    ----
I have been told that the Museum has one of the best collections of WWI artillery in the world but sadly its not on display, nor available to researchers. Its all in long term storage, I'm not sure what the point in having it is, if no one can see it. Has anyone been to the museum since it reopened? I could go and see whats there, not much of a road trip from here.....

-> AFV News Discussion Board