1ST CAV Purple Heart Memorial
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: 1ST CAV Purple Heart Memorial Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:55 am
    ----
I snapped these pictures today while getting some of armor. This is located right in front of the 1ST CAV HQ, beside the parade field. Quite a tribute and put a lump in my throat when a woman placed yellow flowers at the site while I was there. She stood for a few minutes and left. I stopped taking pictures out of respect for her solitude.

#2: Re: 1ST CAV Purple Heart Memorial Author: Maple_Leaf_Eh PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:48 am
    ----
First Iraq war memorial I've seen. Looks quite dignified.

#3: Re: 1ST CAV Purple Heart Memorial Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:03 am
    ----
Jeff

Thank you for posting this.....

I'm speechless.....

Live the Legend!!
Don

#4: Re: 1ST CAV Purple Heart Memorial Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:52 am
    ----
Hi Folks!

There should be a second one for the 1st Cav with one trooper and a very young girl someplace on Ft. Hood from their first tour over there.

I saw a TV report on Ft Stuart GA for the 3rd ID. In addation to a marker with each individaul's name, a tree has been planted along a walkway.

Last Tuesday I was down town trying to get some legal paper work taken care of. Came acrossed a Memorial which listed all the folks from El Paso, TX that were lost during WW I.

That one the 1st Cav has looks very nice.
Thanks Jeff. ~S~
Sgt, Scouts Out!

#5: Re: 1ST CAV Purple Heart Memorial Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 2:52 am
    ----
Roy,
The display you speak of is at the 4th ID museum here on post. It is quite stunning as well and I took a few pictures of it as well. I'll just have to pull them up and post them here as soon as I find them.
I was at Ft Stweart from 1993-1996, when it was 24th ID and made the transformation to 3rd ID. I made two trip to Kuwait in 1994 for "Intrinsic Action" and "Operation Vigiliant Warrior". Back then we had the M106A2's with the 4.2in mortar, (Four-Duece). Six guns and two FDC's, unlike todays configuration of four guns and one FDC. Anyway, the museum there is quite small and by the main gate. Back then they even had a few camels donated by the Kuwaitis in a pen on display.

#6: Re: 1ST CAV Purple Heart Memorial Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 5:14 pm
    ----
I made it back to the 4th ID museum today and got these quick shots of their Memorial, the one mentioned by Roy. I also got shots of another M1, and M2, an M163, and an M728 CEV. I'll post them all shortly. Its good to get back out and get some pictures again!

-> AFV News Discussion Board