FlightGear
-> Software

#1: FlightGear Author: ph-aadLocation: Cadiz, Spain PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:55 am
    ----
Hi guys. Sorry if I put this in the wrong forum. Seemed like the most appropriate to me. Just stumbled upon FlightGear. An open source freeware flightsim. Does anyone know anything about this? Personally i've never heard about it. Any feedback most welcome. Aad.

#2: Re: FlightGear Author: Uhu_FledermausLocation: Blaricum, The Netherlands ~GMT+1 PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 6:56 am
    ----
Hi Aad,

I know that it's around, but haven't taken a closer look at it.

fled
Cool

#3: Re: FlightGear Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:42 am
    ----
I don't have any info on it, don't know anyone using it to advise I'm afraid.

#4: Re: FlightGear Author: ph-aadLocation: Cadiz, Spain PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:56 am
    ----
Hi everybody. Thanks for the answers. I just found their site last night and it seems o.k. Airplanes look pretty smart. Scenerywise I don't know but personally I don't care that much. What I do like is the whole pilosophy behind it. And hey, its runs with Linux Smile I think I'll just go try it out and see how it flies. I'll be back....... Aad.

#5: Re: FlightGear Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:49 pm
    ----
Yep, I've been watching FlightGear for a long time and yes, I've installed it on Windows and Linux.

Results: Runs ok on Windows but I had some joystick control issues and while the sim is free (I LIKE FREE...lol), it's really not that good as compared to MS Sims even when figuring in the cost... Shocked

In Linux, it's even worse. Hard to install from a built alone program, (Apt-Get makes it easier for those Debian fans), it was terrible and I never did get it to control properly and soon gave up. I've installed it on Mandrake, Ubuntu, Kbuntu and Memphis and had the same results with each one.

It's come a long way in a couple of years and is still worth watching.... Smile

#6: Re: FlightGear Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:21 pm
    ----
Just thought, if you do install it, you could become the "C-C Roving Reporter" and do a write up of it.
In case anyone else wants to try it.

Wink

#7: Re: FlightGear Author: ph-aadLocation: Cadiz, Spain PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 3:14 pm
    ----
Allright Shades. Not a bad idea. Will see what I can do there. Need some time there though.(busy moving) I´ll keep you bunch informed. Wink See ya..... Aad.

-> Software