Ft Hood M2 Bradley markings...
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Ft Hood M2 Bradley markings... Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:33 pm
    ----
Here's an M2 Bradley that sits on a corner opposite the 4ID HQ building. I snapped these after getting some of the M1 on the other street corner. This is the first Bradley I've photographed so I wasn't real sure where to look for markings. What you will see are the "Go Cowboys!" that was stamped into the right side of the hull, (as you look head on) with "PHR" stamped just above. There was also "C5TLV" on the left front, that appeared to have either an "O" with an X stamped over it or possibly a "K", that was stamped right before the letter/numbers. I stuck the camera in through the front prop shaft cover opening which was missing it's proper cover, to snap a shot of the engine bay. Obviously there's no engine but I would assume that, thats the "fan tower" still in place? A snap up under the front of the turret reveals the feed tray for the co-ax thats missing. I opened the rear storage bins and found all the stickers still inplace and easy to read. I was a little suprised to see one of the stickers said "stove", but the rest seemed normal. There is one other Bradley on display and it's in front of the 1st CAV HQ. I'll have to get back to it this week and see if it's markings are similar or not.

#2: Re: Ft Hood M2 Bradley markings... Author: SabotLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 12:18 am
    ----
The Go Cowboys was probably placed there by a worker from Red River Army Depot in Texas. That's where they were rebuilt into ODS standards.

#3: Re: Ft Hood M2 Bradley markings... Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 12:53 am
    ----
I'll admit, I was wondering about some Dallas fan stuck in Pennslyvania...

That makes more sense...

Neil

#4: Re: Ft Hood M2 Bradley markings... Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 1:22 am
    ----
I found this about Red River;
Part of the TACOM family since 1998, today Red River provides depot maintenance for the Bradley Fighting Vehicle, Multiple Launch Rocket System, and Combat Tactical Wheeled Vehicles. Its electronics repair facility supports the Bradley, Multiple Launch Rocket System, and a variety of missile support and aircraft armament subsystems. The depot is also the worldwide center for Patriot and Hawk missile re-certification.

What does ODS stand for?

#5: Re: Ft Hood M2 Bradley markings... Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 1:47 am
    ----
Operation Desert Storm. The mid 90s Bradley upgrades were based on ODS lessons learned...

Neil

#6: Re: Ft Hood M2 Bradley markings... Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 2:14 am
    ----
- Neil_Baumgardner
Operation Desert Storm. The mid 90s Bradley upgrades were based on ODS lessons learned...

Neil

I always thought the 'ODS' was a 'retrofit' to the -A3 upgrades? Guess I need to inquire with some of my 'grunt' friends....

Don

#7: Re: Ft Hood M2 Bradley markings... Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 8:31 am
    ----
We've been recording serial numbers of Bradley's here at Sierra Army Depot. They are inside the rear door on the left. Generally, the one's we have start with "2AA" for BFV's and "3AA" for the Cav variant. I have seen one exeception. An M-3 that started with '2AA'. The serial number is 2AA000035. Anyway, maybe the stamped number is the USA number? The picture is of the Division Commander's track is my guess. We have an M1A1 here with similar number. I think it's "4I-X HQ65" or something close to that.

#8: Re: Ft Hood M2 Bradley markings... Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 10:46 am
    ----
Mark

Generally 66 is the Cmdrs Tank and 65 is the XO's. X might be Div,

That would be 4th IDs ADC-M....or something like that

#9: Re: Ft Hood M2 Bradley markings... Author: SabotLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 11:47 am
    ----
- Dontos
- Neil_Baumgardner

Neil

I always thought the 'ODS' was a 'retrofit' to the -A3 upgrades? Guess I need to inquire with some of my 'grunt' friends....

Don
Most of the Brads we had in 1st Cav in the 90s were M2A2ODS. Some were manufactured as ODS at York, others were upgraded at depot level.

The M2A2 I had at my maintenance school would receive ODS upgrades by traveling contractors doing just an item or two. In the 3 and a half years I was there, my A2 received at least 5 different visits. Sort of a waste on a vehicle that existed to train mechanics.

#10: Re: Ft Hood M2 Bradley markings... Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 1:03 pm
    ----
Yeah, I think C5TLV is an Registration Number (RN, also known as a USA number).

But 4I-X HQ65 is just a unit / tactical designation.

Neil

#11: Re: Ft Hood M2 Bradley markings... Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 6:10 pm
    ----
Sabot,

Was the school at Aberdeen? We have several of them here. I think the bumper number says, "USAOMMS" or something like that.

#12: Re: Ft Hood M2 Bradley markings... Author: SabotLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 7:20 pm
    ----
No, I commanded one of the satellite schools located at Fort Devens' old Army Airfield. USAOMMS stands for the US Army Ordnance Mechanical Maintenance School. I also used to teach at the USAOMMCS which stood for the US Army Ordnance Munition and Missile Center and School at Redstone Arsenal. They changed the name of that place to USA Ordnance Munition and Electronic Center.

#13: Re: Ft Hood M2 Bradley markings... Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 9:43 pm
    ----
This M2 is quite different from the other M2 I previously posted. These "smooth sided" M2's were what our Scouts used in 1993-94 with 24th ID, 2-7INF. I believe they are the A1 models. The front trim-vane and rubber is covering the hull stamping that was seen on e the other M2. However on the front left side of the hull was 3AA00152 stamped in. According to Mr. Holloway, this would be the serial number possibly. This M2 sits at the west end of the 1st CAV parade field in front of their HQ's. The rear stowage boxes were labeled just the same as the previous M2. Comparing the 4th ID display vehicle to the 1st CAV's on their parade fields, it's obvious that the 1st CAV keeps theirs in much better shape, appearance wise.

#14: Re: Ft Hood M2 Bradley markings... Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 9:48 pm
    ----
Yeah, but that should make this an M3... Is there any way to tell externally between an M2 and M3?

Neil

#15: Re: Ft Hood M2 Bradley markings... Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 10:02 pm
    ----
The periscopes on the rear of the hull roof... M2 has them in the roof & the M3 has them in the roof hatch?

Cool

-> AFV News Discussion Board