Ft Hood M2 Bradley markings...
Go to page Previous  1, 2  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#16: Re: Ft Hood M2 Bradley markings... Author: SabotLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 10:58 pm
    ----
- JimWeb
The periscopes on the rear of the hull roof... M2 has them in the roof & the M3 has them in the roof hatch?

Cool
The M2 and M3 had the same TOW loader's hatch. The M3-specific hatch with periscopes did not appear until the M3A1 and subsequent variants (A2, A3).

An M2 had operable firing ports on the sides and ramp. The M3 had plated over blisters on the sides and the ports on the ramp were plated from the inside.

After the M3A1, the ports are entirely missing on the ramp and that area is smooth.

#17: Re: Ft Hood M2 Bradley markings... Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 11:31 pm
    ----
So any agreement on which one this is?

Neil

#18: Re: Ft Hood M2 Bradley markings... Author: SabotLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 3:03 am
    ----
- Neil_Baumgardner
So any agreement on which one this is?

Neil
This one? I'd say it is an M3 CFV. Bolted gun port blisters are the distinguishing feature.

#19: Re: Ft Hood M2 Bradley markings... Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 4:25 am
    ----
Jeff, could you possibly post a picture showing the general area where you found the SN? Is it where your younger son is looking in the first picture?

Neil

#20: Re: Ft Hood M2 Bradley markings... Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 9:07 pm
    ----
On the M3 the firing ports on the sides are covered with a plate.

#21: Re: Ft Hood M2 Bradley markings... Author: SabotLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 10:17 pm
    ----
- MarkHolloway
On the M3 the firing ports on the sides are covered with a plate.
The M3A1 (and M2A1) begins with a solid slab over the side ports so they don't even look like they are there. The M3 had the blisters with plates in the center.

Another difference between the straight M2/3 and the A1s is the bustle rack. The straight M2/3 have an angled bustle rack and the A1s have a vertical back side of the bustle rack.

My maintenance school had both an M3 and M3A1 as well as the M2A2.

#22: Re: Ft Hood M2 Bradley markings... Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:12 pm
    ----
The area where I found the serial number was the smooth area around the vehicles lifting eye, on the front left side. This would be the area right over my youngest sons right sholder in this photo where he's climbing up the side. My oldest son is the one that spotted this number first. Having an extra set of eye's certainly helps. I didn't look for this number and area on the first Bradley, so I may have to go back by it and see if it has one in the same location.

#23: Re: Ft Hood M2 Bradley markings... Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:41 pm
    ----
Today I revisited both Bradleys and found the following markings, both in the same areas. The 4th ID Bradley had 001000 stamped into the very bottom right rear of the hull, just to the left of a multiprong socket. And as you can see by the crack in the left rear of the hull, I can guess why it is now a display piece.
The 1st Cav Bradley had 00160 stamped into the exact same location. But this is the same Bradley that had 3AA00152 stamped by the front left lifting eye.
What do you supposse these two numbers that are in the same location tell us, or stand for?

#24: Re: Ft Hood M2 Bradley markings... Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:44 pm
    ----
Have to let Mark answer that one. May just be stampings particular to that part, rather than the vehicle.

Neil

#25: Re: Ft Hood M2 Bradley markings... Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:37 pm
    ----
- SFC_Jeff_Button
The area where I found the serial number was the smooth area around the vehicles lifting eye, on the front left side.

I've been told this is one of4 location that the SN is located. All the others are within the vehicle...

HTH
Don

#26: Re: Ft Hood M2 Bradley markings... Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:21 am
    ----
So what I found were simply hull casting numbers? 001000 has definite issues with that crack. I assume cracks of this nature are not fixable?

#27: Re: Ft Hood M2 Bradley markings... Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:29 am
    ----
- SFC_Jeff_Button
So what I found were simply hull casting numbers? 001000 has definite issues with that crack. I assume cracks of this nature are not fixable?

That could be a subcomponent SN or something. I'll get more info tomorrow from my 'source'. I described the cracks to him. He didn't seem amazed, but apparently that is why that vehicle is a static. The Vehicle is probably just plain 'wore out'.

FYI: Other SN locations are Interior Drivers Compartment (Data Plate), Engine Compartment (Data Plate), and rear interior (only visible with Back Ramp lowered).

Don

#28: Re: Ft Hood M2 Bradley markings... Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:52 am
    ----
001000 has the front right final drive cover plate missing. If I stick my arm (and camera) inside, would I be able to get a picture of the data plate? Which way would I point the camera?

#29: Re: Ft Hood M2 Bradley markings... Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:59 am
    ----
- SFC_Jeff_Button
001000 has the front right final drive cover plate missing. If I stick my arm (and camera) inside, would I be able to get a picture of the data plate? Which way would I point the camera?

I don't know, I'll find out tomorrow when I talk to my' 'resident expert'.

More tomorrow
Don

-> AFV News Discussion Board