Cactus Rocket Launcher
Go to page Previous  1, 2  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#16: Re: Cactus Rocket Launcher Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:35 pm
    ----
- bsmart

WARNING The ability for homemade CDs to retain data beyond 3-5 years is suspect. The method of burning is different from factory made CDs and subject to deterioration. I have seen TV news reports saying this about photos stored to CDs and have seen it on software that we distributed to customers on CD a few years back ( about 20% unusable after 3 years and possibly 50% after 4 years) One friend of mine who is a software contractor/consultant is taking the time to move all his archived files back on to hard disk and reburning them to DVD. He doesn't figure the DVD will last much longer but in 2-3 years he will reburn them to a newer (and more dense) media. One benifit of this process is that what took 5-6 CDs easily fits on one DVD (sometimes even more)

They said the same thing about VCR tapes and here I am copying stuff off tapes made of russian tv programs back in the mid-80s and its fine. I suspect its all down to your storage. Stuff stored in texas probably lasts considerably less than that in UK where its considerably cooler & wetter.

Cool

#17: Re: Cactus Rocket Launcher Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:49 pm
    ----
Well videotape is analog and while it may degrade you can still pull something off it. with the digital nature of CDs it may be that losing a few bits can cause total loss.

The software I have been tracking has been stored in a relatively stable environment (humidity and temp stay withing reasonable bounds)

I admit I may be paranoid but I would rather warn folks then have them look at CDs they stored away years ago and find they lost their stuff. In general I know write the 'burn date' on any CD I make. If it starts to have issues I dump and reburn.

#18: Re: Cactus Rocket Launcher Author: DirkLocation: South Africa PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 4:06 pm
    ----
Location of this vehicle is the SAAF (South African Air Force) Museum.

AFAIK this launch vehicle , radar tracking vehicle and a SAM-9 Gaskin are on display.

#19: Re: Cactus Rocket Launcher Author: BAGTICLocation: Missouri Ozarks PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:46 am
    ----
Was not the 'Cactus' vehicle diesel-electric propelled?

-> AFV News Discussion Board