Cactus Rocket Launcher
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Cactus Rocket Launcher Author: RayV PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:46 am
    ----
I saw the Cactus on Primeportal.net. Does anybody know what country this vehicle this came from, if it's still in use? It has a radar, and four huge projectiles on top

data3.primeportal.net/..._of_40.jpg

#2: Re: Cactus Rocket Launcher Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:17 am
    ----
I think it was a variation of the Crotale SAM system developed for Saudi Arabia

#3: Re: Cactus Rocket Launcher Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:56 am
    ----
South African produced variant of the Crotale.

Cool

#4: Re: Cactus Rocket Launcher Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:26 pm
    ----
- JimWeb

Cool

Right weapon, wrong country Mad

#5: Re: Cactus Rocket Launcher Author: obobLocation: South SF-Bay area, California PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:12 pm
    ----
- bsmart
- JimWeb

Cool

Now I'm confused.

Do you refer to your own earlier posting, or to Jim's?

#6: Re: Cactus Rocket Launcher Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:20 pm
    ----
- RayV
I saw the Cactus on Primeportal.net. Does anybody know what country this vehicle this came from, if it's still in use? It has a radar, and four huge projectiles on top

Looks like the "Aliens" APC got an upgrade Wink

Neil

#7: Re: Cactus Rocket Launcher Author: RayV PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:51 pm
    ----
Thanks. Crotale TH.D 5000, produced by France, looks to be the same vehicle.

#8: Re: Cactus Rocket Launcher Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:16 pm
    ----
- Neil_Baumgardner
- RayV

Looks like the "Aliens" APC got an upgrade Wink

Neil

Neil....I was trying to think where I had seen that vehicle....YOU NAILED IT!!! IT's the Space Marines Assault Vehicle....from 'Aliens' !! I personal favorite of mine....

Don

#9: Re: Cactus Rocket Launcher Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:23 pm
    ----
- obob
- bsmart
- JimWeb

Cool

Now I'm confused.

Do you refer to your own earlier posting, or to Jim's?

I'm sorry, mine of course. I very seldom doubt Jim on questions like this.

I was saying I had the right weapon, wrong country

#10: Re: Cactus Rocket Launcher Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:27 pm
    ----
Yeah, this thing. Built off an airport tug...

Sadly, they'd use CGI to create that kind of thing today. I've seen good CGI, but none of it looks as good as 1980s models & mockups that people spent hours & hours "texturing" etc. CGI vehicles always look to "clean" to me... But I suppose I'm turning into an old foggie already... I dont have an ipod & still buy CDs...

Anyway... Do we need a "Favorite Sci-Fi AFV" thread?

Neil

#11: Re: Cactus Rocket Launcher Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:52 pm
    ----
- Neil_Baumgardner

But I suppose I'm turning into an old foggie already... I dont have an ipod & still buy CDs...

Neil

I'm too old for an ipod... I'm just not 'trendy'. I avoid 'My Space' also.... My Nextel can't text or take pictures, or play music,.....ITS A PHONE!!!

I like CD also.....

SURE ON THE FAV SCI-FI AFV Thread!!!! Remembering 'Damnation Alley', Soldier (w/ Kurt Russell) and others...

Don

#12: Re: Cactus Rocket Launcher Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:05 am
    ----
- Dontos

I'm too old for an ipod... I'm just not 'trendy'. I avoid 'My Space' also.... My Nextel can't text or take pictures, or play music,.....ITS A PHONE!!!

I like CD also.....

Don

You mean I'm not the only one who wants a phone to be a phone!!!
I also wish it was as big as my one 5 years ago and used all the space for more battery! (and also have buttons big enough for my fat fingers Shocked )

I did get an IPOD at work as part of an award program Rolling Eyes but I didn't do what some of the other older geeks did and use it for a portable disk drive , I gave it to my son who is of the right age for it

#13: Re: Cactus Rocket Launcher Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:20 am
    ----
- bsmart

I also wish it was as big as my one 5 years ago and used all the space for more battery! (and also have buttons big enough for my fat fingers Shocked )

I did get an IPOD at work as part of an award program Rolling Eyes but I didn't do what some of the other older geeks did and use it for a portable disk drive ...

Thats a good Idea!!! But there are so many 'thumb drives' on the market, they are a whole lot cheaper. Plus you don't need the pesky CD for the program upload. I have several, been using them for years. A great item when buzzing in the 'Library' scanning some photos or documents.

I have a large capacity portable hard drive, that I keep most of my 'active' files and Data on. I now back up on CDRW. (Having lost 3 years of Research freshly organized to be burned on disk back in September.)

My Computer crashed the day I was working on burning my files, thank fully, I pieced most of the lost data together. But downloading hundreds of PDF formatted public access documents has taken me some time.....Just about catching up.

Don

#14: Re: Cactus Rocket Launcher Author: obobLocation: South SF-Bay area, California PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:24 am
    ----
- Neil_Baumgardner
... But I suppose I'm turning into an old foggie already... I dont have an ipod & still buy CDs...

Neil

CDs? I think I still have a couple of shelf-feet of LPs.

Anyway, a lot of late-WWII stuff was already pretty "sci-fi". Some of that even got deployed.

I did know some IPMS'ers, way back when, who got contracts building stuff where they might put in months on a huge diorama... only to have it destroyed in 20 to 30 seconds on camera. Of which maybe 5 seconds made the cut.

Almost, but not quite, validating the destruction we used to do with firecrackers and crappy kits back in the 60's

#15: Re: Cactus Rocket Launcher Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:43 am
    ----
- Dontos
- bsmart

I did get an IPOD at work as part of an award program Rolling Eyes but I didn't do what some of the other older geeks did and use it for a portable disk drive ...

Thats a good Idea!!! But there are so many 'thumb drives' on the market, they are a whole lot cheaper.

Well it was a year or so ago and the IPODS were the 20GB model
Plus you don't need the pesky CD for the program upload. I have several, been using them for years. A great item when buzzing in the 'Library' scanning some photos or documents.

I have a large capacity portable hard drive, that I keep most of my 'active' files and Data on. I now back up on CDRW. (Having lost 3 years of Research freshly organized to be burned on disk back in September.)

WARNING The ability for homemade CDs to retain data beyond 3-5 years is suspect. The method of burning is different from factory made CDs and subject to deterioration. I have seen TV news reports saying this about photos stored to CDs and have seen it on software that we distributed to customers on CD a few years back ( about 20% unusable after 3 years and possibly 50% after 4 years) One friend of mine who is a software contractor/consultant is taking the time to move all his archived files back on to hard disk and reburning them to DVD. He doesn't figure the DVD will last much longer but in 2-3 years he will reburn them to a newer (and more dense) media. One benifit of this process is that what took 5-6 CDs easily fits on one DVD (sometimes even more)

My Computer crashed the day I was working on burning my files, thank fully, I pieced most of the lost data together. But downloading hundreds of PDF formatted public access documents has taken me some time.....Just about catching up.

Don

Yea I still run across things I forgot that I stored away, and I can't find things I know I downloaded Rolling Eyes I wish I had a lot of the old AFVnews discussions from the old board (DEATH TO SPAMMERS Evil or Very Mad )

-> AFV News Discussion Board