Chrysler's Newark Tank plant to close
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Chrysler's Newark Tank plant to close Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:08 pm
    ----
Well it hasn't produced a tank since about 1960 when it produced M48s it is now producing Dodge SUVs after years of producing 'K' cars. It is one of the plants That Daimler Chrysler announced would be closed soon.

#2: Re: Chrysler's Newark Tank plant to close Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:49 pm
    ----
Hey Bob,
Don't forget, they also made the first batch of my "Favorite" there too, The M60, before moving production to Detroit.

Wink
Joe D

#3: Re: Chrysler's Newark Tank plant to close Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:53 pm
    ----
I wasn't sure if they made any M60s there or not. Were all the early M60s made there or was it a dual source from the start? Is there any way to tell from the serial number?

#4: Re: Chrysler's Newark Tank plant to close Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:02 pm
    ----
Hi Bob,
I believe the first 360 were made there. I don't have my "magic disc" with me where I'm at. Serial numbers 1 thru 360 were made there. Then production was switched, They were not dual sourced to my knowledge.

Joe D

#5: Re: Chrysler's Newark Tank plant to close Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 2:49 am
    ----
So if I look at the rear deck area of an M60 series tank, and the three digit number is between 1-360, then it came from the Newark plant? Would this apply to CEV's as well?

#6: Re: Chrysler's Newark Tank plant to close Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:04 am
    ----
SNs are on the left front tow lug I believe...

Neil

#7: Re: Chrysler's Newark Tank plant to close Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:46 am
    ----
Yes, I have found them on the front tow lugs and the rear deck areas. Due to the large blades on the front of CEV's, it just easier to look at the rear decks where you have two numbers that usually coinside. This M60 sits in front of Ft Hoods Range Control building. Serial number 1128 would obviously indicate it wasn't built at Newark.

#8: Re: Chrysler's Newark Tank plant to close Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:58 am
    ----
Good tip, thanks!

Neil

#9: Re: Chrysler's Newark Tank plant to close Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:07 pm
    ----
Updating this thread with a link to C_Sherman's cross-post: com-central.net/index....ic&t=12527

Neil

-> AFV News Discussion Board