help! disk 2 not detecting?
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> FSX

#1: help! disk 2 not detecting? Author: mightymonkey PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:22 pm
    ----
ok now i bought flight simulator x and installed the first disk and it was fine. until it told me to enter disk 2 inside so i did it. i pressed ok and after waiting 2 min the same message popped up and said 'Please enter disk 2'

i thought it was my dvd drive problem so bought a new one. i installed the drive and i tested it buy entering a music cd and it was working perfectly fine. anyway, i tried it again and the same thing happened, that really annoyed me.

cuase i got 2 pc's i installed the game into my very old pc (5 years old, using athalon xp CPU) and it worked perfectly. but the pc didnt meet the requirements.... Evil or Very Mad and the new pc which i tried to install didnt work and it meets the requirements Mad

does any 1 have any solutions? please help me
thanks

list of solutions i tried and failed Sad :

uninstall nero ( i tried it, casue according to other people it has conflict but no didnt work)
copying the game files to my hard drive (was thinking to do that but how do i install it when it says please enter disk 2? also isnt it illegal?)
following website i looked at and done all the things and still no. www.pcaviatornetwork.com/FSXFAQ.htm
Update framework
install it in another directory not the default one.
clean boot

Last edited by mightymonkey on Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:05 pm; edited 2 times in total

#2: Re: help! disk 2 not detecting? Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 6:03 pm
    ----
Hi mightymonkey and welcome to Com Central!

Do you have SP2 installed on your main computer? Did you do all the MS updates to date?

#3: Re: help! disk 2 not detecting? Author: mightymonkey PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 6:16 pm
    ----
hi, i do have sp2 and some updates i do, (high priority ones) i have never checked the custom or optional ones... do i need them?

#4: Re: help! disk 2 not detecting? Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 6:21 pm
    ----
Are you trying to install this to the default location?

If so, try installing to a different folder-location. If not, try the default.

You may also want to try copying over the old machine install to the new machine or popping in the HD from the old machine and see if it works.

#5: Re: help! disk 2 not detecting? Author: Uhu_FledermausLocation: Blaricum, The Netherlands ~GMT+1 PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 6:28 pm
    ----
It's a bit hard to decipher but my gut feeling is you need to instal the Microsoft .NET framework starting with 1.1 then 2 and the update 3

here the link to the MS site for the respective downloads

V1.1 www.microsoft.com/down...laylang=en

V2.0 www.microsoft.com/down...laylang=en

V3.0 www.microsoft.com/down...laylang=en

Hope this helps you

#6: Re: help! disk 2 not detecting? Author: mightymonkey PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:03 pm
    ----
hi Uhu_fledermaus about the framework? if i press the windows update button shouldnt it update it self?

i will also try install it on a different location

Last edited by mightymonkey on Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:06 pm; edited 1 time in total

#7: Re: help! disk 2 not detecting? Author: Uhu_FledermausLocation: Blaricum, The Netherlands ~GMT+1 PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:06 pm
    ----
UNFORTUNATLY IT DOESN'T !

#8: Re: help! disk 2 not detecting? Author: mightymonkey PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:08 pm
    ----
oh thats bad lol

#9: Re: help! disk 2 not detecting? Author: mightymonkey PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:08 pm
    ----
by anh chance is there any where i can check my framework?

#10: Re: help! disk 2 not detecting? Author: Uhu_FledermausLocation: Blaricum, The Netherlands ~GMT+1 PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:10 pm
    ----
maybe the obvious question, but HOW much do you know about the XP operating system ?

#11: Re: help! disk 2 not detecting? Author: mightymonkey PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:12 pm
    ----
meh im a noob, but i checked in control panel addd or remove programms and there is net.framework 3.0

#12: Re: help! disk 2 not detecting? Author: Uhu_FledermausLocation: Blaricum, The Netherlands ~GMT+1 PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:14 pm
    ----
if it's there than re-install it to be on the safe side, it won't hurt.

then after you've done that reboot and run defrag.

reboot again and give it a try, if it than still doesn't work you may have acquired a corrupted disc and you'll need to get in touch with the shop or seller where you bought it and ask for a new one for reason the this one is defunct

#13: Re: help! disk 2 not detecting? Author: mightymonkey PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:15 pm
    ----
ah rite thanks

#14: Re: help! disk 2 not detecting? Author: mightymonkey PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:55 pm
    ----
Problem still not solved lol also if the disk is faulty how come i can install it on my other pc hmmmmm

#15: Re: help! disk 2 not detecting? Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:50 pm
    ----
Agreed, you ruled out the faulty disk when you installed on the second PC.

What's different between the two would be minor configuration, drivers, and background processes. Having some video player installed on one and not the other, for instance.

In that light, I would suggest also retrying the install from a "Clean boot" configuration (minimal processes and drivers running) per the instructions here:

CLICK ME <-- Click click CLICK click clikclickclikclikclikclik

The reason I'd suggest that is, as mentioned with Nero, there can be other drivers or background apps which like to think they "own" the DVD drive, and this would help eliminate them, without the muss and fuss of uninstalling them (as you did with Nero). Nero may not be the only culprit, and this would help rule out any others that may be lurking and not evident.

FWIW, this is how I performed my FSX installation just to be on the safe side, and it went perfectly.

-> FSX