help! disk 2 not detecting?
Go to page Previous  1, 2  :| |:
-> FSX

#16: Re: help! disk 2 not detecting? Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:37 pm
    ----
And, as I'm thinking about it, I'm womndering if it wold be wise to set your system back to a restore point prior to having tried the first install.

In other words, go from a clean boot (to avoid monkey business in the background apps) AND a restore point (to avoid any skullduggery which could be in the registry from an incomplete install).

Can't be too safe

#17: Re: help! disk 2 not detecting? Author: mightymonkey PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:54 pm
    ----
hi, thanks for your advice but i dont get what you mean....
well, i dont see how will that help me.

#18: Re: help! disk 2 not detecting? Author: mightymonkey PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:57 pm
    ----
casue after i did the 1st step whic his disable the programmes and restart, then do i install the game, then type in msconfig and load normally or after disabling all the programs restart and type in ms config again and load normally then restart and then install?

im very confused lol

#19: Re: help! disk 2 not detecting? Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:07 pm
    ----
I'm suggesting two things, and the second thing I suggested, in hindsight, ends up being the first thing you'd do (maybe I should stop here, LOL!).

Nevermind with that. How about this: The Clean boot thing is what you wanna do, and if it don't work, then we'll more get serious with it by doing a Restore Point and THEN a Clean Boot. Whup it upside da head with a pincer movement. So....for now:

Focus on the Clean Boot approach.

Run msconfig and do what it shows you to disable the non-Microsoft processes. Let the system reboot in that manner. ONCE.

When it comes up form the first reboot, it will be in the "clean" (stripped down) configuration. THAT is the mode in which you wanna do your install.

Note, that not even your antivirus stuff will be running in that mode, which sometimes is reason enough to make some installs work since nothing is going to mess with the process. BUT, it's not a good way to run your system for any long-term sessions, in my opinion.

Anyway, do the install. When the system reboots the next time, it probobaly will go back to the "normal" (or, "unclean") config, so that's not when you want to try doing the install.

You may have to monkey around with it at first to get a feel for which is which and why you're doing this, but it will become clear when you try it. In clean mode, your system will have less stuff on the taskbar, boot a bit quicker, and be a bit more peppy. That's the mode you want to retry your installation in.

Believe me, it makes a difference. And once you try the instructions on the MS website there to reboot your system in "clean boot" mode, it will make much more sense.

The more complex part, that you may not have to do, would be:

If it don't work by doing just the above, I'm saying you set the system back to a restore point, days ago, before you had FSX and tried to install it. Let it reboot. THEN put it in clean boot mode and let it reboot AGAIN and you're in Clean Boot Mode with the system also set back to the state it would have been without any halfway-finished registry settings from a failed install, and you try installing THAT way.

Make sense?

#20: Re: help! disk 2 not detecting? Author: mightymonkey PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:18 pm
    ----
wow thanks im trying it now

#21: Re: help! disk 2 not detecting? Author: mightymonkey PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:26 pm
    ----
oh dear Sad

no still not working, same message ('please enter disk 2') pops up again!!!!

#22: Re: help! disk 2 not detecting? Author: mightymonkey PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:28 pm
    ----
does any 1 know 'if' i copy all the files to my hard disk how can i install?

#23: Re: help! disk 2 not detecting? Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 1:17 am
    ----
Can't speak for everyone, but personally, I don't. I do hear that MS product support is at least friendly and if I were you I'd consider this the point to make a phone call to them. Sorry, it's the best I can think of.

I mean, maybe it's as simple as copying both DVD's to seperate folders on your hard drive, then launching the "setup" tool from the DVD #1 folder, and when it asks for DVD #2, see if there's a "browse" button to point it to the other folder for DVD2. But, I can't say, simply becuiase I haven't done it.

Wish I knew more, sorry.

#24: Re: help! disk 2 not detecting? Author: phobos PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 5:33 pm
    ----
This solution worked for me. Create new folder on desktop. Copy the entire 2nd disk into that folder. Then Copy the entire 1st Disk into the same folder. It will want to write over a few existing files. Say yes to all of them. Then go into the folder you've created and look for the setup exe. Click on it and the game will load everything without wanting to switch disks.

Good Luck.

-> FSX