M60 serial number locations....
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: M60 serial number locations.... Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:46 am
    ----
This M60 is at Ft Hood, on Battalion Ave, dircetly across the street from the 1st CAV HQ's. It's not in the best of shape and the communications box on the right rear looks added-on considering it's tan. I was curious as to the cause or reason for the weird welded markings on the side of the turret, any idea's? This M60 is a good example of where to find serial and registration numbers. The front tow lug and the upper rear deck both had the same serial number, (8797). There was also an easy to read reg number stamped into the top leading edge of the hull, (JJ01UG). I was however a little curious as to what the 377 stamped into the front hull might mean, rebuild number? This M60 also had those funky "ribbed" roadwheels that no one cares for due to difficulty cleaning them. What is the exact model of this M60 and does it have any significant items?

#2: Re: M60 serial number locations.... Author: SabotLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:55 am
    ----
M60A1 RISE/Passive

#3: Re: M60 serial number locations.... Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:35 pm
    ----
- Sabot
M60A1 RISE/Passive

THats what it may have ended up as. But the big question is - what was it used for during its previous existance?

Cool

#4: Re: M60 serial number locations.... Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:32 pm
    ----
As I am still ever learning about armor in general, what exactly does "RISE /Passive" stand for? I was also hoping someone might be able to know this tanks build date by the corresponding serial and reg numbers and be able to tell me more from that, or point me to where I might be able to find it on my own. There are a number of M60's on post here and I'd like to "decode" them all as best as possible.

#5: Re: M60 serial number locations.... Author: SabotLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:19 pm
    ----
RISE= Reliability Improved Selected Equipment
Passive refers to the addition of passive night vision sight for the gunner. Previously, the gunner relied on either the white search light or flares to illuminate targets at night. The passive night sight allowed the use of ambient star light or infrared search lights to illuminate targets.

#6: Re: M60 serial number locations.... Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:45 pm
    ----
Hi Jeff! Hi Folks!

- SFC_Jeff_Button

As I am still ever learning about armor in general, what exactly does "RISE /Passive" stand for?

Those are the names of a number of upgrade programs the M60 had.

RISE: 1974 progam - Reliability Improvement of selected equipment.
Engine upgraded from the AVDS-1750-2D to the AVDS-1790-2C
300 amp electrical system replaced with a oil-cooled 650 amp altenator
regulator upgarded with a solid state type
quick disconnect wiring harness mated to the power pack

Rise/Passive: 1977 program - The orignal gunner's IR sights and the driver's IR driving scope were replace with passive or thermal sights/scopes.
Deep water fording system added.
Chin fillets added
Turret ring thickness increased
Hydraulic fluid replaced with a type having a higher flash point.
Items 3, 4, and 5 are leasons learned from the 1973 Middle East shoot out.

There is also another upgrade prior to both of the above.
AOS: 1971 program - Add-On Stabilizer
A stabilizer system installed on the main gun.
Side loading air filters boxes replaced with top loading filter boxes.
The chevron type track replaced with the T-142 octagonal track pad type.

In 1978, the Army started a fourth upgrade program, but this time they redesignated those vehicles as the M60A3.

OK, all you old tankers, did this old Scout get all of that right?
Sgt, Scouts Out!

#7: Re: M60 serial number locations.... Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:51 pm
    ----
Hi Jeff! Hi Folks!

- SFC_Jeff_Button

I was curious as to the cause or reason for the weird welded markings on the side of the turret, any idea's?

That looks like a patch to me. Like that turret had been hit by a round of some type and the gouge or hole has been filled in.

Old Top! You still here? What do you think?

Sgt, Scouts Out!

#8: Re: M60 serial number locations.... Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:04 pm
    ----
Hi everyone,

Jeff, thanks for the M60 post and pictures. I missed this one too when I was at Hood, made my day. About the patch, It is actually a repair made to correct a casting imperfection. Very common sight on M60's made after 1975. The Army had depleted it's tank reserve after sending many of theirs to Israel after the '73 war. A crash program was initiated to replace them along with the conversion of M48's to A5 models to make up the shortage. The biggest stumbling block to ramping up production was the ability for manufacturer's to make the large castings needed for the turret and hull. By 1976 Blaw Knox was able to turn out 75 sets per month and with the opening of the Wheeling facility in West Virginia the Army was able to procure 885 M60A1's in a 15 month period. With this rush to make tanks some imperfections occured and these were repaired using a newer filling technique with was deemed satisfactory for issue. Another change was the use of a two piece rear hull to speed production instead of casting a single larger piece. These Hulls I refer to as Generation 4, they are identified by having only 2 heavy lifting eyes along the side instead of the 4 heavy or 3 light ones of previous models. They also have a verticle weld seam which bi-sects the rear below the grill doors.
Roy, pretty close. The RISE program initiated in '74 but testing wasn't completed until early '75. Fielding didn't start until '76, one item tested but not adopted was the tube over bar suspension system. Based on the serial number this tank is still an old IR AOS. The only way to know if it was upgraded to Passive would be to check the driver's hatch. If the night sight viewer hatch is the same as the loader's periscope hatch it wasn't. Converted models would have a plate welded in with the newer smaller hatch for the VVS-2 that would rotate to the left. Original Passives would have a newly designed driver's hatch incorporating this. Smoke Grenade Launchers would also be a good indicator but not a definative one. This one doesn't have them.

Joe D

#9: Re: M60 serial number locations.... Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:44 am
    ----
Joe_D,
Is that "casting imperfection" common to that area or does it appear on other areas of the turret as well? What about hulls?

-> AFV News Discussion Board