WW1 tanks PDF list
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: WW1 tanks PDF list Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:26 pm
    ----
This is my new PDF list : WW1 tanks, including Little Willie, British Mark I to IX, A7V, St Chamond, Schneider, Whippets, Skeleton tank and 3-men tanks. Roughly the tanks listed here :

http://www.landships.freeservers.com/survivors.htm

So I need photos of :
the Mark V Female at Aberdeen
the Mark V Male at Kubinka
the Mark V at Archangelsk
Mark VIII at Aberdeen? (not sure they have one but it is listed on landships.freeserver)
and the Mark VIII "Liberty" at Fort Meade.

I already have photos of other British WW1 tanks..

Thanks

Pierre-Olivier

#2: Re: WW1 tanks PDF list Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:39 pm
    ----
Ed Heasley assures me they have a Mk VIII in storeage. Before it goes through Refurb they nee dto figure a way to lengthen the paint booth to accomadate it. ( The paint booth is the closed area where the old paint is water blasted off so it has to be sealed when the clean the vehicle.

Maybe Neil has a picture of the Mk V, if not I'll get some next time I'm up there (but his pictures are usually much better than mine. I'll see if Ed has any recent pictures of the Mk VIII

#3: Re: WW1 tanks PDF list Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:21 am
    ----
Here's some pics of the Mk IV Female (not a Mk V AFAIK) at Aberdeen. Not sure which is the best one (maybe the second one?), so here are several views:

I think this is a picture of the APG Mk VIII because I think I can see other tanks sitting out in the open in the background.

[img]http://mailer.fsu.edu/%7Eakirk/tanks/UnitedStates/heavytanks/usht-Mk8-e.jpg[/img]

Also, whats your time period for "WWI" tanks? The Mk VIII for example didnt enter service until 1920.

You may also want to consider:

M1920 75mm Gun Motor Carriage (GMC) - not a tank, but also built in 1920. Its at APG

M1921 57mm Gun Medium A Tank - built in 1922 & exists at APG)
www.michiganhistorymag...vy_22.html

M1922E Mk X 4.7" GMC - built in 1922 & exists at APG

APG also has a T1E2 light tank, built in 1926

The A1E1 Independent at Bovington was also built in 1926

The 1926 tanks are probably too late to be considered WWI tanks, but 1922 & before could be... Of course this does leave a gap - maybe there should be an "interwar tanks" file?

Neil

#4: Re: WW1 tanks PDF list Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:44 am
    ----
Here's a pic of the Fort Meade Mk VIII. Its in a relatively small room so its hard to get a picture of all of it.

Here's the Five of Hearts FT-17 while we're at it.

You can find a few pics of the Kubinka Mk V at:
www.tankmuseum.ru/p5.html
travel.webshots.com/ph...6282OvUbAF
svsm.org/gallery/Kubin...m/IMGP3100

Do you have this Kubinka FT-17, or is it an MS-1?

svsm.org/gallery/Kubin...m/IMGP3488

Neil

#5: Re: WW1 tanks PDF list Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:51 am
    ----
M1921 57mm Gun Medium A Tank, a typo I believe 75MM Gun

I have most all of the Kubinka tanks if you need them, I have prints but will scan if you need them

#6: Re: WW1 tanks PDF list Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:40 am
    ----
Nope, the M1921 Medium A tank had a 6-pounder 57mm gun - just double checked with Hunnicutt's Sherman.

Neil

#7: Re: WW1 tanks PDF list Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:41 am
    ----
my fault, i was confusing titles....We are talking about this guy...

#8: Re: WW1 tanks PDF list Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:12 am
    ----
- Neil_Baumgardner

Neil

It's a Russian-made FT-17. It is already listed.
Neil, when did you take the photos at Fort Meade? They are all dated from July 2003 (in the photo properties) but I doubt they are so old...

Thanks to Bob, Neil, Chris Neel and Armyjunk for their help. Wink

Pierre-Olivier

#9: Re: WW1 tanks PDF list Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:42 pm
    ----
Here it is, the first release of the Surviving WW1 tanks PDF list, including Lil' Willie, Mk I to Mk IX British tanks, Whippet, A7V, St-Chamond, Schneider, the Skeleton Tank, M19818 3-ton tank and reproductions of WW 1 tanks :

Surviving WW1 tanks

I didn't include 1920's tanks for the moment, it will come later, maybe in this document but most probably in another one.

Stil looking for pics of :
Mark V which serves as a memorial in Arkhangelsk (Russia)
Two Mark V in storage at Luhansk (Ukraine)
Mark VIII “Liberty� – Aberdeen Proving Ground (USA)
Mk A Whippet, Army College, Pretoria (South Africa)
M1918 Ford 3-ton tank – Aberdeen Proving Ground (USA)

Pierre-Olivier

#10: Re: WW1 tanks PDF list Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:44 pm
    ----
- the_shadock
- Neil_Baumgardner

Neil

It's a Russian-made FT-17. It is already listed.
Neil, when did you take the photos at Fort Meade? They are all dated from July 2003 (in the photo properties) but I doubt they are so old...

Yes, actually they are - they are some of my oldest pictures at good resolution.

Neil

#11: Re: WW1 tanks PDF list Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:46 pm
    ----
- armyjunk2
my fault, i was confusing titles....We are talking about this guy...

Good picture! Do you have any more like this from APG???

Neil

#12: Re: WW1 tanks PDF list Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:02 pm
    ----
- the_shadock

M1918 Ford 3-ton tank – Aberdeen Proving Ground (USA)

As requested

Unfortunately I cant find any pics of the Pretoria Whippet...

Neil

#13: Re: WW1 tanks PDF list Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:06 pm
    ----
Each time I get what I request on the internet within one hour or one minute, I wonder how I did before..

Thanks Neil for this photo. Is this one also dating from 2003?

Pierre-Olivier

#14: Re: WW1 tanks PDF list Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:12 pm
    ----
Nope, that one is from February 2006.

Neil

#15: Re: WW1 tanks PDF list Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:30 pm
    ----
Neil, I have a complete set of the "Mile of Tanks' and most of the rest of Aberdeen, these were done done in the 1980's.....of course all are prints so the quality isn't what it could be......... I guess I could scan a "mile of tanks" topic.............

-> AFV News Discussion Board