M1A1 Question
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: M1A1 Question Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:29 pm
    ----
On the top of the hull on the M1A1 there is a small plate welded on that is roughly above the personnel heater. I always thought this may have been a heater exhaust on an earlier version. But I saw a tank yesterday that had some sort of breather there. Is that an air intake for the heater?

#2: Re: M1A1 Question Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:54 pm
    ----
Wow,
That one must have missed the MWO. M1A1's originally were equipped with the Stewart-Warner or Hupp Heaters similar to the M-113A2/A3 series which drew air in from the outside. Wasn't a good idea since it sucked in a lot of dirt and reduced the heater's life. The intakes came in two versions, one being flush to the hull and the other looking like a mushroom. To this day we are still issued two heater plugs because of that, even though that intake is welded over. I was at Riley when we got the MWO to change them along with the new Prime Power Interupt system and change from bus bar for batteries to cables (apx 1993).

Joe D

#3: Re: M1A1 Question Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:14 am
    ----
Thanks, Joe. This M1A1 came from the Tennessee National Guard so it might have been 'out there' awhile. Didn't notice it on any of the other Tennessee tanks though.

#4: Re: M1A1 Question Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 4:38 am
    ----
- Joe_D
Wow,
That one must have missed the MWO. M1A1's originally were equipped with the Stewart-Warner or Hupp Heaters similar to the M-113A2/A3 series which drew air in from the outside. Wasn't a good idea since it sucked in a lot of dirt and reduced the heater's life. The intakes came in two versions, one being flush to the hull and the other looking like a mushroom. To this day we are still issued two heater plugs because of that, even though that intake is welded over. I was at Riley when we got the MWO to change them along with the new Prime Power Interupt system and change from bus bar for batteries to cables (apx 1993).
Joe D

The 'Mushroom' breather....I forgot about that.

Remember the intake hidden by the trim for the skirt? If you mistakenly opened that skirt while at the washrack,....oppps another inop personnel heater.

I became a Heater 'SME' during those days (87-88) that extended to Korea(91-92). I'll be damned if I was gonna be cold (in the field) due to lack of preparation.... Cool

-> AFV News Discussion Board