Pics from "Tanks are Mighty Fine Things"
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Pics from "Tanks are Mighty Fine Things" Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:40 pm
    ----
Yes, that was the title of a book published in 1946 about the Detroit Tank Arsenal. Someone is selling a copy on Ebay and has posted some good scans:

This is one of my favorites - a 90mm Sherman, the troops wished!

Neil

#2: Re: Pics from "Tanks are Mighty Fine Things" Author: warddw PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:34 pm
    ----
Great Pics - thanks !!

#3: Re: Pics from "Tanks are Mighty Fine Things" Author: jtrowbridge5 PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:37 pm
    ----
still got that book in the loft somewhere
Dennis

#4: Re: Pics from "Tanks are Mighty Fine Things" Author: T26E4 PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:10 pm
    ----
That book isn't hard to find, actually. Go to www.bookfinder.com.

I think I paid $5 for my copy.

#5: Re: Pics from "Tanks are Mighty Fine Things" Author: SabotLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:41 pm
    ----
Someone passed one on to me after I had sent them something. Nice collectable. My binding is a little loose, so I need to get it rebound.

#6: Re: Pics from "Tanks are Mighty Fine Things" Author: TanklordLocation: Louisiana PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:43 pm
    ----
I just got my copy in the mail from bookfinder.com. It even had a card with a special thank you from Mr. Keller, president of Chrysler at the time. It was a pretty interesting read, with much fanfare for the M-4 series. I am currently reading "Deathtraps" by Belton Cooper, and talk about difference of opinion between the two!

#7: Re: Pics from "Tanks are Mighty Fine Things" Author: Garry_RedmonLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:27 am
    ----
What is the caption on that last photo of all the Shermans parked together?

#8: Re: Pics from "Tanks are Mighty Fine Things" Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:15 am
    ----
As I read it 'Part of the 940 tanks returned to the arsenal for rehabilitation after hard usage in training in California and Texas'

Looking at wheel spacing they appear to be a lot of M4A4s. I know a lot of them were used as stateside training vehicles then refurbed and issued to Commenwealth and other allied forces after the units deployed overseas (Where they were issued M4, M4A1, and M4A3 vehicles from depots)

#9: Re: Pics from "Tanks are Mighty Fine Things" Author: A2_Prius PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:03 pm
    ----
I like the X-ray interior drawing of the Sherman with the "90 mm gun."

#10: Re: Pics from "Tanks are Mighty Fine Things" Author: Cloudy PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:32 am
    ----
That book is sitting on one of my shelves somewhere Smile I especially like the X-ray illustration - that weapon must be at least a 155mm!

-> AFV News Discussion Board