Type 95 Ha-Go in the film Letters from Iwo Jima
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Type 95 Ha-Go in the film Letters from Iwo Jima Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:09 pm
    ----
I just have seen the film "Letters from Iwo Jima" this afternoon, and I remember having seen a Type 95 Ha-Go tank in it. Where does it comes from? Private collector, a museum? Or was it a mock-up?

Pierre-Olivier

#2: Re: Type 95 Ha-Go in the film Letters from Iwo Jima Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:21 pm
    ----
It's the replica originally made for windtalkers.

Long time members here may remember over a year ago when i reported seeing a Japanese tank on a flatbed Semitrailer rolling east bound on I-70 in Maryland. Since I was on my way home from a day at Aberdeen I jokingly queryed Dontos to check and make sure none of theirs were missing at Knox.

Turns out it was on it's way to Philidelphia to be shipped to Iceland. at least passing by at a closing rate of ~100 MPH it looked good. I was surprised they were transporting it on an open truck and not in a container or at least tarped

#3: Re: Type 95 Ha-Go in the film Letters from Iwo Jima Author: geoffsteer PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:22 pm
    ----
Hi Pierre-
It is a mock-up and a very good convincing one at that! Certainly one of the best efforts I've ever seen from the movie industry. What identifies it as a mock-up"? The tracks are not those of a Ha-Go and the suspension is also not that of a Ha-Go especialy the rectangular bar running fore and aft. Lastly, the Ha-Go did not have that boxy shape on the nose with the access hatches on top.
HTH-
Geoff Steer [;-{/)

#4: Re: Type 95 Ha-Go in the film Letters from Iwo Jima Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:33 pm
    ----
Surely, this one is really convincing !!

Pierre-Olivier

#5: Re: Type 95 Ha-Go in the film Letters from Iwo Jima Author: Scott_TaylorLocation: London, Ontario PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:19 pm
    ----
Hello:

I believe it's built on an M5 High Speed Tractor chassis. It is a pretty convincing mockup, all things considered.

I thought it was an excellent film, by the way.

Cheers,

Scott Taylor

#6: Re: Type 95 Ha-Go in the film Letters from Iwo Jima Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:56 pm
    ----
Seems to me too that it was built on a M5 High Speed Tractor.. quite a shame that the M5 was modified/rebuilt, because it's a not so common vehicle..

Pierre-Olivier

-> AFV News Discussion Board