Help identify this strange armor....
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Help identify this strange armor.... Author: Jeffrey_ButtonLocation: Killeen,Tx PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:37 am
    ----

I found this Russian marsh tank on strangemilitary.com. And was wondering if this is true info. So I will leave this to you experts. By the way, this is Jeffrey, not my dad, SFC Button. I used to post on Officers Club but now I'm doing the armor thing instead.

#2: Re: Help identify this strange armor.... Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:48 am
    ----
I believe that is Russian Experimental Heavy Tank Object 279 it is in
shed 1 at Kubinka. It is real and I've seen it

#3: Re: Help identify this strange armor.... Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:58 am
    ----
Yep. Sometimes called the "atomic tank" or some such fanciful stuff.
(Hi Jeffrey!)

#4: Re: Help identify this strange armor.... Author: JeffStringer PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:55 am
    ----
Just when you thought working on the T-28's suspension/track system was bad enough, imagine this one and in the Russian winter too! Mr. Green

#5: Re: Help identify this strange armor.... Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:42 am
    ----
Oh yeah! Imagine trying to re-track on one of the center sets! Or working on that part of the suspension in any way...

Neil

#6: Re: Help identify this strange armor.... Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:28 pm
    ----
All we ever see is the front of that beast. I'm curious as to how the drivetrain at the rear is set up. Also I wonder what weird stuff is under the sheets next to it in armyjunk's picture?

Jeffery, naw I think you'll be Lil-J

As I remember reading this vehicle was designed with two goals in mind

1) Low ground pressure to use in the extensive soft marshy areas that show up, especially in the spring, in much of the old Soviet Union

2) Survivability to nearby nuclear blasts (hencce the name 'Atomic Tank' The shape of the hull was supposed to make it less vulnerable to the shock and blast wave from the explosions

#7: Re: Help identify this strange armor.... Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:26 pm
    ----
Bob, You can't tell that is Russian Experimental Heavy Tank Object 277 by the shape of the sheets??? I have the following reference books on Kubinka, I sorta assume people have these but maybe not, I got both from Ebay and it took a while................

1. Model Art no. 460 and no.473 both published in 1994 in Japanese but with English and Japanese Titles on the Pics, each have about 150 different tanks, done by shed. No ISBM number that I can find.

2. This book is almost the same thing but in Russian, no English and one volume, 270 pages. ISBM number 5-88541-004-6, its a hard back book and not very hard to figure the titles out. This one I would sell if I had any idea what its worth.

plus when I go back to Kubinka I could look for more books if someone wanted one, they might not exist any more 1994 was a while ago. Also closer to when I go I will put a note on for picture request.....

#8: Re: Help identify this strange armor.... Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:34 pm
    ----
That latter one sounds interesting - probably begging for an English translation...

Neil

#9: Re: Help identify this strange armor.... Author: Jeffrey_ButtonLocation: Killeen,Tx PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:40 pm
    ----
Here is some info I found for the obiek 279 trojanov.

The OBIEK 279 TROJANOV

Weight: 60t???
Length: c. 7/11 m
Width: c. 4 m
Armor: 266-305 mm
Gun: 130 mm
Shells stored: 24
Machine-gun: 14,5 mm
Engine: 16/960 hps
alt.: 2DG-8M (1000 ps)
Speed: km/h
Crew: 4

#10: Re: Help identify this strange armor.... Author: Cloudy PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 3:28 pm
    ----
I have a book in english on Kubinka entitled "Kubinka, The Russian Museum of Armoured Vehicles" by Michael K. Cecil and published in 1992. It's filled with relatively poor snapshot-quality b&w photos of the collection with descriptions. It looks like they visited in winter since all the vehicles appear to be frost covered Smile I've been interested in the Obiekt 279 & IS-4 ever since I saw their photos in this book!

Alan

#11: Re: Help identify this strange armor.... Author: Jeffrey_ButtonLocation: Killeen,Tx PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:59 pm
    ----
Thanks cloudy for the info. Can you shoot me any of those shots, thanks

-> AFV News Discussion Board