M48 at Ft Hood, need assistance....
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: M48 at Ft Hood, need assistance.... Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:09 pm
    ----
This poor condition M48 is at the 1st CAV museum. No engine, gutted hull/interior, very heavy multiple layers of paint that are peeling badly. Where do you find the serial number these. I was able to barely read the Reg number off the two side stowage boxes but am not sure about them as well. I will list what I thought I saw on the two sides and maybe someone can assist me with what the number might be;

Left side was US ARMY 307798 ?
Right side was US ARMY 9 03 C98 ?
Can something be made of these two numbers, that might give some clue?
This M48 is a good comparison for the "Slick 60" M60's due to the turrets similarity.

#2: Re: M48 at Ft Hood, need assistance.... Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:50 am
    ----
Here is the sad interior of this M48. I highly doubt it even has a data plate anymore, thats why I'd like to know where the serial number is on the outside.

#3: Re: M48 at Ft Hood, need assistance.... Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:42 am
    ----
I may have answered my own question today, as to where the serial number on an M48 is. This M48, is at the 4th ID museum. I found 3535 stamped into the front left area on the hull, just under the headlight. There are also other stampings, castings but I do not suspect they are serials but I'm posting them anyway. As far as which M48 model this is, who can tell me?

#4: Re: M48 at Ft Hood, need assistance.... Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:39 am
    ----
Jeff it is a basic M48. The M48A1 had a cupola instead of an external 50 cal.

Does the stamping in your 5th picture (The one with the upside down SER - 675) look like it is the Registration number? It looks to me to be 9B678.
Where on the Vehicle was that located?

Now I'll have to plan some trips back to teh M48s I know of and look for the numbers.

Were there any numbers on tow lugs?

#5: Re: M48 at Ft Hood, need assistance.... Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:00 am
    ----
bsmart,
I thought it looked like GB678. The USA number on the side was 718842, but I know that museum pices aren't often reliable/accurate in this respect. That upside down SER, is right in the middle of the nose. The last picture is from the left rear hull. I could find nothing on the tow lugs but both M48's I've looked at here have huge amounts of paint on them. If I remember correctly, the M48 at Ft Irwin had it's serial number in the same place as 3535 does. M48's are probably my weak link at this time as far as numbers knowledge goes.

#6: Re: M48 at Ft Hood, need assistance.... Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:13 am
    ----
9B678 would make sense as an RN, but since I agree its GB678 I dont think it is the RN...

Neil

#7: Re: M48 at Ft Hood, need assistance.... Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:35 am
    ----
Speaking of M48s - anyone recognise the location?

#8: Re: M48 at Ft Hood, need assistance.... Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:43 am
    ----
Pendelton or Lejeune? I'll GUESS Camp Pendleton

#9: Re: M48 at Ft Hood, need assistance.... Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:54 am
    ----
Hi Folks!

Is that you Jim?

- bsmart

Pendelton or Lejeune? I'll GUESS Camp Pendleton

My guess is MCB 29 Palms, better known as 29 stumps.
If not the stumps, then MCB Pendleton. If it was MCB Lejeune, the trees should be pine and those don't look like pines trees to me. (could be wrong, again)
Sgt, Scouts Out!

#10: Re: M48 at Ft Hood, need assistance.... Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:06 pm
    ----
- Roy_A_Lingle
Is that you Jim?

Oh good grief - no!

I'm at least a foot taller...

Cool

-> AFV News Discussion Board