Inside pics of this armor at Ft Hood...
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Inside pics of this armor at Ft Hood... Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:28 am
    ----
Stay tuned this week, I spoke with the 4th ID museum dircetor today about getting access to vehicles on display for research and she said OK! She also gave me unrestricted access to the 4th ID museum storage facility which has, (according to her) 2 more M60's, M114 (for Roy), and a few other items. Once I told her about her "Slick 60" and her M4A3 that served in Italy during WWII, she was very happy to help me, help her, research her vehicles. Of course I told her about this esteemed panel of experts that are assisting me. I certainly can't take all the credit, thats for sure. Anyway, I hope to get to the museum again in the next three days to see these interiors.

#2: Re: Inside pics of this armor at Ft Hood... Author: Jens_O_MehnerLocation: Giessen, Germany PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:58 am
    ----
Neat,

an M36B1 and yet another Grizzly maskerading as an M4A1- I wonder where that one came from, Portugal? Seems to have mounting points for fender skirts as well, interesting vehicle.

Cheers,

Jens O.

#3: Re: Inside pics of this armor at Ft Hood... Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:45 am
    ----
Hi Jens! Hi Folks!

- Jens_O_Mehner

...yet another Grizzly maskerading as an M4A1- I wonder where that one came from, Portugal? Seems to have mounting points for fender skirts as well, interesting vehicle.
Jens O.

This is Jeff's photo

That's not a standard M4A1? What makes it a Grizzly?
Sgt, Scouts Out!

#4: Re: Inside pics of this armor at Ft Hood... Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:35 am
    ----
- Jens_O_Mehner
Neat,

an M36B1 and yet another Grizzly maskerading as an M4A1- I wonder where that one came from, Portugal? Seems to have mounting points for fender skirts as well, interesting vehicle.

Cheers,

Jens O.

As I remember it a Grizzly is an M4A1. Grizzly is just a name that has been attached to M4A1s that were made in Canada (Montreal Locomotive Works?)

Are there any differences between 'Grizzlys' and 'M4A1s' other than the usual differences found in other Shermans built in different plants?

#5: Re: Inside pics of this armor at Ft Hood... Author: Jens_O_MehnerLocation: Giessen, Germany PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:04 pm
    ----
- bsmart

Are there any differences between 'Grizzlys' and 'M4A1s' other than the usual differences found in other Shermans built in different plants?

On second look, it may be a regular US built M4A1, but the "pot" on the right side looks more like Grizzly than M4A1. Then again, a Grizzly usually has CDP tracks, a different sprocket than the US built M4A1s, a three-piece tranny cover and a prominent casting mark on the glacis right above the transmission seam. I think I'm off the mark, but something doesn't jive... Maybe thrown together from different donors?

I'll wait until the resident Sherman experts chime in, but I may have some egg to wipe off my face- nothing new there (sigh).

Cheers,

Jens O.

#6: Re: Inside pics of this armor at Ft Hood... Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:27 pm
    ----
- SFC_Jeff_Button
Stay tuned this week, I spoke with the 4th ID museum dircetor today about getting access to vehicles on display for research and she said OK! She also gave me unrestricted access to the 4th ID museum storage facility which has, (according to her) 2 more M60's, M114 (for Roy), and a few other items. Once I told her about her "Slick 60" and her M4A3 that served in Italy during WWII, she was very happy to help me, help her, research her vehicles. Of course I told her about this esteemed panel of experts that are assisting me. I certainly can't take all the credit, thats for sure. Anyway, I hope to get to the museum again in the next three days to see these interiors.

Outstanding job, Jeff! We'll expect you to have the staff there registered here in the next week too. Wink

-> AFV News Discussion Board