Spotted at Samur
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Spotted at Samur Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:45 am
    ----
Okay - conversation piece....

#2: Re: Spotted at Samur Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:50 am
    ----
Now that is a movie prop I don't think I've seen before.

What does the sign say?

#3: Re: Spotted at Samur Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:03 am
    ----
Hi Folks!

"A" movie prop? Check out that vehicle to the right, I think that is a US Halftrack under that v-mod make up.

I cann't read the sign, but the layout reminds me of the type used at the French musuem. (Sorry, forgot the title of the thread!)

Very Interesting photo Jim.
Sgt, Scouts Out!

#4: Re: Spotted at Samur Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:11 am
    ----
Modified halftracks are a movie and TV staple, actually that is more modification than you often see,

But an M-24 redone to look like a Panzer? It looks like a longer gun than standard also

#5: Re: Spotted at Samur Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:22 am
    ----
Hi Bob! Hi Folks!

- bsmart

But an M-24 redone to look like a Panzer? It looks like a longer gun than standard also

From a model builer's view point, looks like a seam line along the bottom of gun tube.

It's one thing to see a M47 painted up to look like a Panther or Tiger. However if I saw a M24 playing the part of a German heavy weight, I think I would fall out of my chair with laughter. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Sgt, Scouts Out!

#6: Re: Spotted at Samur Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:05 pm
    ----
- Roy_A_Lingle
However if I saw a M24 playing the part of a German heavy weight, I think I would fall out of my chair with laughter. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Sgt, Scouts Out!

...complete with bb-resistant side-skirt armor and the innovative 45-degree muzzle brake. Wink

#7: Re: Spotted at Samur Author: Garry_RedmonLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 5:05 pm
    ----
The vismod M-24 is from the movie "Is Paris Burning?" There were two or three modified for the movie. They were later used for the movie "Night of the Generals."

I really like "Is Paris Burning?" It was a French-made movie with American stars to enhance its international interest. Kirk Douglas (Patton), Glenn Ford (Ike), Tony Perkins and Orson Welles (Swedish consul) to name a few. I recommend it.

#8: Re: Spotted at Samur Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 5:21 pm
    ----
- Garry_Redmon
The vismod M-24 is from the movie "Is Paris Burning?" There were two or three modified for the movie. They were later used for the movie "Night of the Generals."

I really like "Is Paris Burning?" It was a French-made movie with American stars to enhance its international interest. Kirk Douglas (Patton), Glenn Ford (Ike), Tony Perkins and Orson Welles (Swedish consul) to name a few. I recommend it.

So did I. The soundtrack is by Maurice Jarre and will be instantly familiar to anyone who ever saw "Grand Prix" (most of us, I imagine).

The only thing I thought was unfairly done was the portrayal of Dietrich von Choltitz by Gert Frobe as kind of boobish...when in fact Choltitz had a very distinguished combat record and bore significant responsibility for preserving the city at risk of his own life, considering who he worked for:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...n_Choltitz

"He was released from Allied captivity in 1947. Dietrich von Choltitz died in November 1966 due to a longstanding war illness in the city hospital of Baden-Baden. He was buried at the city cemetery of Baden-Baden in the presence of high-ranking French officers. Baden-Baden was the post-WWII French headquarters in Germany.

#9: Re: Spotted at Samur Author: David_Clark PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:49 am
    ----
- Roy_A_Lingle
if I saw a M24 playing the part of a German heavy weight, I think I would fall out of my chair with laughter.

Not exactly heavy weights Roy, but Tobruk is attacked by German M24s in Desert Rats starring Richard Burton and lots of Aussie actors.

One M24 eludes the cunning trap set by the Aussie gunners but is knocked out by an M8 Greyhound.

Regards

David

-> AFV News Discussion Board