Look what I found (among other things)
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Look what I found (among other things) Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:32 pm
    ----
Neat stuff laying around,

Joe D

#2: Re: Look what I found (among other things) Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:50 pm
    ----
Joe,

A "knee mortar" variant? (we know of course, it would not be good for your knee....)

And the other thing a RR with spotter rifle?

#3: Re: Look what I found (among other things) Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:52 pm
    ----
Is the first picture an old British PIAT?

The second one looks like a Recoiless rifle with spotting rifle attached

#4: Re: Look what I found (among other things) Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:56 pm
    ----
- Doug_Kibbey
Joe,

A "knee mortar" variant? (we know of course, it would not be good for your knee....)

I'm pretty sure it's a PIAT (Projectile Infantry AntiTank). The left side would normally have a leather pad around it which would be the shoulder rest. you put the AT projectile in the tray at the right after cocking the big spring inside for the first round. It's only advantage over a bazooka is there is no backblast. After the first round it should recock itself for subsequent rounds. I think it was used in the movie A Bridge Too Far

#5: Re: Look what I found (among other things) Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:21 pm
    ----
[quote="bsmart"]
- Doug_Kibbey
Joe,

I'm pretty sure it's a PIAT (Projectile Infantry AntiTank). The left side would normally have a leather pad around it which would be the shoulder rest. you put the AT projectile in the tray at the right after cocking the big spring inside for the first round. It's only advantage over a bazooka is there is no backblast. After the first round it should recock itself for subsequent rounds. I think it was used in the movie A Bridge Too Far

Bob,
You're probably right.

Ok, we split the credit then, I get dibs on the RR with spotter then.

#6: Re: Look what I found (among other things) Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 5:06 pm
    ----
Hi Bob, Doug,
Thought it was a PIAT but wasn't real sure, and the other was a 106mm RR rifle with the Spotter rifle attached. I also found an L37A1 Machine Gun.

Joe D

#7: Re: Look what I found (among other things) Author: Hellfish6Location: Orlando PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 5:18 pm
    ----
Where'd you find this stuff?

#8: Re: Look what I found (among other things) Author: Maple_Leaf_Eh PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:56 pm
    ----
Hmmm. PIAT, 106mm Recoilless, L37A1 - a British scrapyard or a place where British military scrap might be found. From the rocks, gravel and dried beans, I'd bet the Middle East not soggy old UK.

#9: Re: Look what I found (among other things) Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:33 pm
    ----
JoeD is on the downside (hopefully no extensions) of a rotation to Iraq

#10: Re: Look what I found (among other things) Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:37 pm
    ----
- bsmart

...and on his way back to the U.S. with big cash prizes for me 'n Bob for winnin' this here contest!

#11: Re: Look what I found (among other things) Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:48 pm
    ----
- Doug_Kibbey
- bsmart

...and on his way back to the U.S. with big cash prizes for me 'n Bob for winnin' this here contest!

I thought I got the PIAT!!! (notice he didn't show the L37A1 in the contest, he must be keepin' that for himself)

#12: Re: Look what I found (among other things) Author: Jens_O_MehnerLocation: Giessen, Germany PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:05 pm
    ----
- Doug_Kibbey
- bsmart

Gold-plated AKs and Iraqi Dinars by the boatload, indubitably... Laughing

Cheers,

Jens O.

-> AFV News Discussion Board