For Hunt....
-> JG300 Wild Sau Gruppe Public Forum

#1: For Hunt.... Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:56 pm
    ----
Lyrics vary a bit because this is an obscure tune that Stills didn't do often, I have an unofficial recording he did acoustic on tape from the old "King Biscuit Flour Hour" radio show that you probably never, ever heard of.... Wink

"TREE TOP FLYER"

I COULD BE A RAMBLER FROM THE 7th ISLE
I DON’T PAY TAXES CAUSE I NEVER FILE
I DON’T DO BUSINESS THAT DON’T MAKE ME SMILE
AND I LOVE MY AIRPLANE CAUSE SHE’S GOT STYLE
I’M A TREE TOP FLYER.....

I’LL FLY ANY CARGO THAT YOU CAN PAY TO RUN
THE BUSH LEAGUE PILOTS, THEY JUST CAN’T GET THE JOB DONE
I FLY LOW IN THE CANYON WHERE YOU NEVER SEE THE SUN
AND THERE’S NO SUCH THING AS AN EASY RUN
FOR A TREE TOP FLYER

I ALWAYS WORK ALONE, I’M IN HIGH DEMAND -
I GO FIFTEEN FEET OVER THE RIO GRANDE -
AND I’LL BLOW THE MESQUITE RIGHT OFF THE SAND
AND I'M SELDOM SEEN ESPECIALLY WHEN I LAND
I’M A TREE TOP FLYER - I'M BORN SURVIVOR

WELL PEOPLE BEEN ASKING ME,
“WHERE'D YOU LEARN TO FLY THAT WAY? -
IT WAS OVER IN VIET NAM CHASING N.V.A.
THE GOVERNMENT TAUGHT ME, WELL THEY TAUGHT ME RIGHT
STAY DOWN UNDER THE TREE LINE YOU MIGHT BE ALRIGHT
I'M A TREE TOP FLYER

SO I’M COMING HOME - I’M RUNNING LOW AND FAST
I PROMISED MY WOMAN THIS IS GONNA BE MY LAST
I GET THE SHIP DOWN - I TIE IT FAST
AND THEN SOME OLD BOY WALKS UP AND SAYS
HEY SON, WANT TO MAKE SOME FAST CASH?
I'M A TREE TOP FLYER

WELL, THERE’S THINGS I AM AND THERE’S THINGS I’M NOT
I’M A SMUGGLER AND I COULD GET SHOT
BUT I AIN’T GONNA DIE AND I AIN’T GONNA' GET CAUGHT
YOU SEE I’M A FLYING FOOL IN AN AIRPLANE I'M HOT
I’M A TREE TOP FLYER.... BORN SURVIVER
I'M A TREE TOP FLYER......

#2: Re: For Hunt.... Author: JG300-Dan736Location: Burlinton Ont PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:07 pm
    ----
Great lyrics,were you referring to Steven Stills of CSN&Y?

#3: Re: For Hunt.... Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:23 pm
    ----
- JG300-Dan736
Great lyrics,were you referring to Steven Stills of CSN&Y?

No, the Steven Stills of Buffalo Springfield. Laughing

SUCH a deal.... Mr. Green

youtube.com/watch?v=g6ZbUJ9xQ2Y

(Y'all check this out!...with flight action!)

The King Biscuit Flour Hour version I have is much faster tempo, but this is good too....

#4: Re: For Hunt.... Author: JG300_HuntLocation: WA State PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:56 pm
    ----
Awesome song! Willl have to grab it for a bit o weekend flyin!

What plane was that guy flying in the video? Must have some stubby wings - trees on his left side on the return trip seemed to be a rubbin!

#5: Re: For Hunt.... Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:14 am
    ----
- JG300_Hunt
Awesome song! Willl have to grab it for a bit o weekend flyin!

What plane was that guy flying in the video? Must have some stubby wings - trees on his left side on the return trip seemed to be a rubbin!

Is bein' JG300 not the epitome of Kewlness or what? We old farts 'specially know 'sum hidden jewels. You'd love my "King Biscuit Flour Hour" version...if I ever get it digitized.... Wink

Speakin' of a-rubbin'....I onest' was a-landin' with a feller in an OH-6A in Injun' country to check out a cool temple and ducked back on the ground quickly right next to it again to grab his wallet that he'd dropped. When we took off in a hurry, we swore we were taking fire from a bunch of "BAM-BAM-BAM-BAM" and heavy vibration on the flight back.

When we landed, we found we were missing about 5-6 inches of rotor blade from where we kinda' nipped the temple on takeoff. I don't think he wrote it up that way, but I didn't ask....

#6: Re: For Hunt.... Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:44 am
    ----
I was also curious about the plane he was flying (yep - he was real close to the trees there a coupla times) and the comments indicate it was a Vans RV-4.....a VERY cool, popular and sexy little homebuilt aircraft thats aerobatic-capable.

The unusual bracing inside the bubble canopy, visible in the video, verifies it. Lucky fella!!!!

[img]http://planets.utsc.utoronto.ca/%7Epawel/dom/ff/rv6-SEXPK.jpg[/img]

#7: Re: For Hunt.... Author: JG300_HuntLocation: WA State PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:43 am
    ----
Is bein' JG300 not the epitome of Kewlness or what? We old farts 'specially know 'sum hidden jewels. You'd love my "King Biscuit Flour Hour" version...if I ever get it digitized....

I'll say! I do enjoy some of the .. umm.. classics from time to time! Laughing

#8: Re: For Hunt.... Author: JG300-Dan736Location: Burlinton Ont PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:44 pm
    ----
That was fun,great song and that Vans RV-4 sure looks like a lot of fun to fly.

#9: Re: For Hunt.... Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:01 pm
    ----
Only $14,530 for the kit, less engine and avionics, y'know..... Wink

Top speed of the "small" 150HP version is 201MPH. Stall speed is 48MPH (talk about slow landings!). All aluminum construction, so if ya have a rivet gun, 2000 hours to kill, and a garage that can accomodate a 20' x 23' aeroplane, you're good to go!

#10: Re: For Hunt.... Author: JG300-Dan736Location: Burlinton Ont PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 4:18 pm
    ----
Ascout you mentioned your King biscuit flour hour version of "Tree top flyer"sure would like to hear that sometime.As a young guy in the 70's and 80's I took to the blues harp and often came across the name "King Biscuit",Hour,boy Band ect.Hearing your reference to it made me want to share this pic from one of my first "how to play blue's harp books bought when I worked in Edmoton back in 81

#11: Re: For Hunt.... Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:04 pm
    ----
- JG300-Dan736
Ascout you mentioned your King biscuit flour hour version of "Tree top flyer"sure would like to hear that sometime.As a young guy in the 70's and 80's I took to the blues harp and often came across the name "King Biscuit",Hour,boy Band ect.Hearing your reference to it made me want to share this pic from one of my first "how to play blue's harp books bought when I worked in Edmoton back in 81

Thanks for that pic! If I can get it digitized, I will...it's WAY hotter than the version in the vid. Wink

#12: Re: For Hunt.... Author: JG300-WILLIFOCK PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 12:38 am
    ----
Great video and tune!
My old man's version would be in an Anson bomber on the prairies doing the fence hopping drill . Dont know what song would be playing but I know it would be cheesy in comparison no doubt ! probably swing or something.

-> JG300 Wild Sau Gruppe Public Forum