Interesting Photo find....
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Interesting Photo find.... Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:13 pm
    ----
Not sure if anyone has seen this, but found it quite interesting for several reasons.

1) Wooden add-on 'armor' on Sherman

2) Two types of Japanese tanks in image

3) Appears that Sherman to is used to 'recover' enemy light tanks...(?!)

Don

#2: Re: Interesting Photo find.... Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:21 pm
    ----
Maybe Joe Tanker there is claiming hisself a helluva' war trophy! Wink

#3: Re: Interesting Photo find.... Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:25 pm
    ----
....In the fine tradition of 'Armor crewman'....'If you can carry it, its yours!!'

aka: Telly Savalas's character as a tanker in 'Battle of the Bulge'....

BTW: There is also the fording device ( exhaust 'scoop') mounted on the rear of the Sherman.

#4: Re: Interesting Photo find.... Author: Jens_O_MehnerLocation: Giessen, Germany PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:57 pm
    ----
Ah,

Plt Sgt Bruno's Killer on Namur, those captured Japanese tanks went on to Hawaii for training and display.

May I suggest securing a copy of Oscar E. Gilbert'S "Marine Tank Battles In The Pacific" for your personal libraries? If possible, get the first printing, as the photos really suffer on the second run, much to Ed Gilbert's dismay.

Cheers,

Jens O.

#5: Re: Interesting Photo find.... Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:28 pm
    ----
Here is one for the 'Sheridan' &/or NTC OPFOR crowd....

Photo Site: DOD Imagery

....one could spend hours digging around for those obscurely interesting photos.....

Don

Last edited by Dontos on Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

#6: Re: Interesting Photo find.... Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:30 pm
    ----
Now,....whats wrong with this picture???

The Photo blurb by US AIR FORCE !!!???

Colonel Jimmy G. Martin, Aviano Air Base Commander, goes for a ride in one of five new M-60 main battle tanks that have been assigned to the Italian 132nd Manin Tank Brigade. The tank is headed for the firing range at Maniago.

Don

#7: Re: Interesting Photo find.... Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:36 pm
    ----
- Dontos
Now,....whats wrong with this picture???

The Photo blurb by US AIR FORCE !!!???

Colonel Jimmy G. Martin, Aviano Air Base Commander, goes for a ride in one of five new M-60 main battle tanks that have been assigned to the Italian 132nd Manin Tank Brigade. The tank is headed for the firing range at Maniago.

Don

Apart from not being an M-60?

I think it's Leopard chassis, but I'm not sure.

#8: Re: Interesting Photo find.... Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:51 pm
    ----
Standard AFVID ID criteria...

Hull:....Leo 1 ( Rear quarter panel exhaust )
Turret: ....Leo 1
Track: ....LEO 1
Other features:
Standard rear view mirrors on LEO 1's ( and most German produced AFV's)

It is a LEO 1!!!

#9: Re: Interesting Photo find.... Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:56 pm
    ----
For the 'Starship' tankers....

Three M-60A2 tanks participate in a field exercise. Date Shot: 1 Apr 1975.

" Beam me up Scotty".... Mr. Green

#10: Re: Interesting Photo find.... Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:16 pm
    ----
- Dontos
For the 'Starship' tankers....

Three M-60A2 tanks participate in a field exercise. Date Shot: 1 Apr 1975.

" Beam me up Scotty".... Mr. Green

Don,
If that date is accurate, and these vehicle are on duty with a line unit, then the vehilcle has entered service pretty much dead on one calendar year after the the IPT ended. I don't have an exact date for the IPT termination, because I ETS'ed before the end, but it was early '74. We knew the "fix was in", but dang, I didn't realize they entered service in '75. Shocked

#11: Re: Interesting Photo find.... Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:22 pm
    ----
Terrain looks amazingly like Ft Hood. Could be mistaken though.

Where stateside were M60A2's assigned??? ( Ft Hood ?)

As a kid, ( in the mid-70's), I remember the M60A2 in Germany, but not sure which unit.

Don

#12: Re: Interesting Photo find.... Author: Jens_O_MehnerLocation: Giessen, Germany PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:49 pm
    ----
Don,

over here in Germany certainly 3 AD, but I can't remember if they were with 32 or 33 Armor. Also, 1 Bde of the 3 ID at Schweinfurt.

Cheers,

Jens O.

#13: Re: Interesting Photo find.... Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:57 am
    ----
nothing new under the sun.......

#14: Re: Interesting Photo find.... Author: SabotLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:04 am
    ----
That photo is why this kit was quite popular with the Sherman crowd.

#15: Re: Interesting Photo find.... Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:52 am
    ----
Hi Folks!

- Jens_O_Mehner

....over here in Germany....1 Bde of the 3 ID at Schweinfurt.
Jens O.

I think that was B Company of the 2/64 Armor and C Company of the 3/64th Armor sometime during 1976.

The first plan called for 2/64 to be pure A2s. B and C companies had converted over. A Company went to Viseck (Sp-?), turned in their M60A0s and M60A1s. Then something happiened. A Company stopped conversion training and returned to Schewienfurt without any tanks. About a month later a train load of rebuild M60A1s showed at Conn Barrack. Then the two B Companies of 2/64 and 3/64 switched battalions, lock, stock and barracks. That gave each battation one A2 company each.

Some of my old history.
Sgt, Scouts Out!

-> AFV News Discussion Board