M60A0 Located at VFW Doucet-Aucoin Post #8971, Eunice, LA
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: M60A0 Located at VFW Doucet-Aucoin Post #8971, Eunice, LA Author: TanklordLocation: Louisiana PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:42 pm
    ----
Found this old girl this past week. What is really interesting about it is that it is the last tank I have driven. It was part of the Louisiana Museum of Military History, located in Lafayette, LA, which closed its doors in the late 90's. We had a M-60, M-48, M-47(Ex-Italian), M-41, M-42, M-59, M-75, and a M-103. We also had numerous softskins, and a UH-1 and a OH-6.. I am currently searching for the other vehicles right now.

This is the number stamped on the hull front:

This number is on the rear:

The left rear drive:

The right rear drive:

As for serial number on towing lugs, there was one on each, but they were raised and did not come out very good. They were:3587on the left, 360 on the right.

#2: Re: M60A0 Located at VFW Doucet-Aucoin Post #8971, Eunice, L Author: TanklordLocation: Louisiana PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:13 am
    ----
Willtry and get better photos. Dang camara is new and my fat fingers are still learning their way around it

#3: Re: M60A0 Located at VFW Doucet-Aucoin Post #8971, Eunice, LA Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:45 am
    ----
Tanklord

When you are back at the tank again look near the right headlight (opposite the one with the RN) and see if there is a number stamped there. If so is it the same as the stamped serial number on thetow lug and engine deck

Thanks

#4: Re: M60A0 Located at VFW Doucet-Aucoin Post #8971, Eunice, LA Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:53 am
    ----
I'm interested in the M103. Can you get shots of that (frontal and Rear would be fine)

I don't remember any Military Museum in Lafayette? I never really spent too much time there, but figured I would have seen it.

Are all the vehicles still there? Who cares for them?

Regards
Don

#5: Re: M60A0 Located at VFW Doucet-Aucoin Post #8971, Eunice, L Author: TanklordLocation: Louisiana PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:53 am
    ----
Don, the museum was opened in the mid-90's, on I49 (Used to be 167 North to Opelousas) right next door to the Ford truck center. It lived up to its non-profit status and we had to close the doors after a couple of years. No one goes to Cajun country to see old tanks, they just want to eat and party ! After the museum closed, Ford bought the site, and the vehicles were turned over to the director of the museum at Jackson Barracks, but until they could get transportation, they were stored in a field somewhere near Carencro, LA. That was the last I had seen or heard of them until the 60 popped up. The search goes on Cool

#6: Re: M60A0 Located at VFW Doucet-Aucoin Post #8971, Eunice, LA Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:22 pm
    ----
I assume the field is now empty?

Neil

#7: Re: M60A0 Located at VFW Doucet-Aucoin Post #8971, Eunice, L Author: TanklordLocation: Louisiana PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:21 pm
    ----
Neil, to be honest, I don't know. The director of the museum kept the location a secret because he didn't want people going out there and messing with the vehicles. He was responsible for them until they were removed to another museum. I am trying to contact this gentleman now. Sad

#8: Re: M60A0 Located at VFW Doucet-Aucoin Post #8971, Eunice, LA Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:12 pm
    ----
Okay, well just go looking around all of Louisiana, starting with Lafayette, looking for a field of tanks! Thats simple right? Wink

Neil

#9: Re: M60A0 Located at VFW Doucet-Aucoin Post #8971, Eunice, LA Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:27 pm
    ----
Hello all, comparing this "Slick 60" to the one at Ft Hood that is serial number 10, I see a difference in the reg/USA number. Ft Hoods was 9B3093, while this one is 9B3780, a difference of 687. Also that welded number on the rear/left section of the hull is close to the same separation in numbers, (Ft Hood- DT7, CG-9 / above tank DT666, CG-685). Might the serial number be around 697 on the above tank with such reasoning?

#10: Re: M60A0 Located at VFW Doucet-Aucoin Post #8971, Eunice, LA Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:28 pm
    ----
Jeff - I don't know if you looked back at the thread on your 'slick 60' or the one roy started about the Ft Bliss M60 but there seems to be some compitition for the registration number 983093. He has it stamped below the left headlight on the Bliss M60. I know you found it painted on yours but did you find it stamped also?

Yours lines up well with Thurmont (sn 13 - RN 9B3096, stamped and painted) So I'm really curious if you have it stamped also.

#11: Re: M60A0 Located at VFW Doucet-Aucoin Post #8971, Eunice, L Author: TanklordLocation: Louisiana PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:23 pm
    ----
Hey Neil, remember the movie "Southern Comfort"? Well, some of these good ol Cajuns will shoot you if you go snooping around their property. The area I believe them to be is pretty wooded. May have to grease some palms before this is over. Rolling Eyes

#12: Re: M60A0 Located at VFW Doucet-Aucoin Post #8971, Eunice, L Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:31 pm
    ----
- Tanklord
Hey Neil, remember the movie "Southern Comfort"? Well, some of these good ol Cajuns will shoot you if you go snooping around their property. The area I believe them to be is pretty wooded. May have to grease some palms before this is over. Rolling Eyes

What a great Movie....( Shocked Rolling Eyes ). I get homesick whenever I see it..... Mr. Green

Sent you a PM....

Don

#13: Re: M60A0 Located at VFW Doucet-Aucoin Post #8971, Eunice, LA Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:26 am
    ----
- bsmart
Jeff - I don't know if you looked back at the thread on your 'slick 60' or the one roy started about the Ft Bliss M60 but there seems to be some compitition for the registration number 983093. He has it stamped below the left headlight on the Bliss M60. I know you found it painted on yours but did you find it stamped also?

Yours lines up well with Thurmont (sn 13 - RN 9B3096, stamped and painted) So I'm really curious if you have it stamped also.

I checked the Thurmont, MD AMVETS M60 posting and the serial was 12 not 13, which does have me wondering about my Reg/USA number. Clearly, 3096 is stamped into the hull of the Thurmont tank. I can not find the thread on the Ft Bliss tank. The "Slick 60" at Hood had a very hard to read, really undistinguishable number on the front slope below the right headlight. I didn't scrape at it because the tank was in such good shape paint wise and because I had a clear picture of the data plate serial number. To me, the serial number is the true identifier anyway. USA/reg number are bogus so much of the time at museums I dont even go off of them as "real" info, but stanpings and castings are forever.

#14: Re: M60A0 Located at VFW Doucet-Aucoin Post #8971, Eunice, LA Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:45 am
    ----
Actually the serial on the rear deck and tow lug is 13. The 12 was stamped near the right headlight. I'm not sure what that means now but with the tow lug and rear deck matching I believe the s/n is 13

I guess we need to make sure we are using the same 'right' and 'left' reference.

On vehicles, planes, and ships I always use left and right from the referance point of the driver/pilot

#15: Re: M60A0 Located at VFW Doucet-Aucoin Post #8971, Eunice, LA Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:49 am
    ----
When I say "right tow lug", I'm talking about the view as seen from someone on the ground. I guess I'll try to clarify better in future posts.

-> AFV News Discussion Board