M60A0 Located at VFW Doucet-Aucoin Post #8971, Eunice, LA
Go to page Previous  1, 2  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#16: Re: M60A0 Located at VFW Doucet-Aucoin Post #8971, Eunice, LA Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:38 am
    ----
Yes, please! Lets use right and left from the perspective of the driver like Bob said. Otherwise right & left change depending on whether you are "looking" at the front or rear....

Neil

#17: Re: M60A0 Located at VFW Doucet-Aucoin Post #8971, Eunice, LA Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:43 am
    ----
Hi Jeff! Hi Folks!

- SFC_Jeff_Button

I can not find the thread on the Ft Bliss tank.

Hey Jeff, look for a thread titled:

www.com-central.net/in...amp;t=6331
or
"Neil, correction and update for the AFV Register"

Spot Report!
Sgt, Scouts Out!

#18: Re: M60A0 Located at VFW Doucet-Aucoin Post #8971, Eunice, LA Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:21 am
    ----
Hi everyone,
Of the two numbers "Tanklord" posted, 360 is the best candidate for the serial number since the other corresponds to an M60A1. The significance of it being #360 is it could possibly be the last produced Newark Delaware M60 made by Chrysler before moving production to Detroit. I would be interested to know if it is actually the number. I am curious since it was mentioned the numbers were "raised" which is not how they are marked, instead being stamped in the tow lug, left side front (Driver's view seated) and on the left rear hull and deck (See the example on the sticky post). Might be another tank I put on my list to visit when I get home, being Louisiana is not that far from home.
I see another discussion started on registration numbers. Good luck figuring them out. I just stick to serial numbers. Somewhere along the M60A1 production they changed from 9B---- to JJ----. The M60A3's retained those numbers when they were fabricated from old M60A1's so there's no sequence with the rebuilds. The other fly in the ointment is the USMC registered their tanks differently.
Bob, those numbers you find stamped in the hull on the opposite side of the RN # I've found in different spots all over the front, sometimes as many as three on it. My best guess was they were used during assembly for some ID purpose.

Joe D

#19: Re: M60A0 Located at VFW Doucet-Aucoin Post #8971, Eunice, LA Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 10:11 am
    ----
Tanklord

Have you been able to get back to this tank and check the Tow lug and engine deck for stamped serial numbers?

It has been pretty consistent to have numbers stamped on the left front tow lug (Drivers left) and on the left side of the engine deck, both above and below the assembly joint

With the recent surge in M60 postings I'm just trying to wrap up some open questions from recent posts.

Joe-D's gone and gotten me sucked into this tracking M60s thing Rolling Eyes

#20: Re: M60A0 Located at VFW Doucet-Aucoin Post #8971, Eunice, L Author: TanklordLocation: Louisiana PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 12:04 pm
    ----
I have been busy, oldest daughter is graduating from high school. Today I head back offshore. Will go by the aforementioned tank Memorial weekend.

#21: Re: M60A0 Located at VFW Doucet-Aucoin Post #8971, Eunice, LA Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 4:25 pm
    ----
That reminds me,
Has anyone gotten a good staus of the Museum in New Orleans and the tanks/items that are there??? Curious if there has been any effort to clean them up or if they were hauled off.

Joe D

#22: Re: M60A0 Located at VFW Doucet-Aucoin Post #8971, Eunice, L Author: TanklordLocation: Louisiana PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 12:18 am
    ----
Update on this M-60. Checked rear deck and engine cover, no numbers seen. Paint is not very thick so I don't think any were covered. The 360 on the lug seems to be better defined now. Front slope only had the number 9B3780 stamped on it. New pics. Look how the paint has faded.

Never noticed the infantry phone box on it before. Tried to open it but no go.

#23: Re: M60A0 Located at VFW Doucet-Aucoin Post #8971, Eunice, LA Author: Kurt_Laughlin PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:59 pm
    ----
RN 9B3780 was assigned to M60 SN 663. M60 SN 360 was RN 9B3472.

KL

-> AFV News Discussion Board