Is this what I think it is?
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Is this what I think it is? Author: pineyLocation: Republic of Southern New Jersey PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:24 pm
    ----
came across this while surfing and wondered if it's what I think it is, open to all opinions but I thinks it's a smallturm but can't tell on what and the forum was in german Which I don't read

Jeff Lewis
[

Last edited by piney on Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

#2: Re: Is this what I think it is? Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:29 pm
    ----
Nothing there - file does not exist...

Neil

#3: Re: Is this what I think it is? Author: pineyLocation: Republic of Southern New Jersey PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:31 pm
    ----
Hi Neil
My oops just fixed

Jeff Lewis

#4: Re: Is this what I think it is? Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 6:55 pm
    ----
The turret looks like chocolate cake....German chocolate

#5: Re: Is this what I think it is? Author: Garry_RedmonLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:13 pm
    ----
It does look like a schmallturm. It has the stereoscopic rangefinder bulge and low profile cupola. I know the British tested a schmallturm, but did any other allies get one to test?

#6: Re: Is this what I think it is? Author: Cloudy PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:50 pm
    ----
I had read somewhere that the Brits & US each received one. Bovington has their sadly shot up example but at least it still exists...

#7: Re: Is this what I think it is? Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:19 pm
    ----
- piney

It's got my vote....

Schmalturm on GO2WAR2.nl

#8: Re: Is this what I think it is? Author: jtrowbridge5 PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:59 pm
    ----
piney.
the cupola seems to be to far back and on the wrong side also it doesnt have the lifting eye just in front of "the lump" my technical term??
take a closer look at my photos from bovington "click on photo"
Dennis

#9: Re: Is this what I think it is? Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 12:20 am
    ----
Perhaps image is reversed...

#10: Re: Is this what I think it is? Author: pineyLocation: Republic of Southern New Jersey PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 3:06 am
    ----
Just came across this photo which I haven't seen before on the web page
www.glazik.ru/2007/02/...nther.html
and it shows what appears to be a different scmallturm then the B/W photo above fitted to an earlier Panther chassis. It lacks lifting lugs and the cupola seems lower to my eye and a closer match to the one seen behind the Tiger II

maybe a different prototype?

Jeff Lewis

#11: Re: Is this what I think it is? Author: Vivman PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 3:48 am
    ----
- jtrowbridge5
piney.
the cupola seems to be to far back and on the wrong side also it doesnt have the lifting eye just in front of "the lump" my technical term??
take a closer look at my photos from bovington "click on photo"
Dennis

I think it is a matter of the angle of the shot that causes the cupola to look that way.

#12: Re: Is this what I think it is? Author: jtrowbridge5 PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 9:54 am
    ----
piney.
in the Jentz book on the panther he states that Daimler Benz made a wooden mock up in april 1945, and was located at the benz assembly plant in august 1945
thanks for a remarkable find
dennis

-> AFV News Discussion Board