Can someone (Don!) give me a history of this vehicle at Knox
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Can someone (Don!) give me a history of this vehicle at Knox Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:44 pm
    ----
Can someone give me a quick rundown of the history of this vehicle at Fort Knox? Where and when was it found? It will save me a roadtrip....Thanks a lot

#2: Re: Can someone (Don!) give me a history of this vehicle at Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:53 pm
    ----
AJ,
I editted the title, 'cause I think I know who we need. Wink

Don or Garry Redmon are your guys, I think. P-O might know something, too.

#3: Re: Can someone (Don!) give me a history of this vehicle at Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:02 pm
    ----
Might have been found near Leningrad or something like that.. sorry but I can't help more for this one..

P-O

#4: Re: Can someone (Don!) give me a history of this vehicle at Knox Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:18 pm
    ----
I guess i could get in the car and drive down there tomorrow...

#5: Re: Can someone (Don!) give me a history of this vehicle at Knox Author: Jens_O_MehnerLocation: Giessen, Germany PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:19 pm
    ----
Gents,

while we're at Knox, does anybody have photos of George S.'s office van they have there?

TIA,

Jens O.

#6: Re: Can someone (Don!) give me a history of this vehicle at Knox Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:31 pm
    ----
I know you want a interiol shot but this is what i have. when i go down next time i will get you a couple interior shots.. Georges car and truck

#7: Re: Can someone (Don!) give me a history of this vehicle at Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:40 pm
    ----
Inside the van. (Click the link for the full size view)

img.photobucket.com/al...nvansm.jpg

#8: Re: Can someone (Don!) give me a history of this vehicle at Knox Author: Jens_O_MehnerLocation: Giessen, Germany PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:03 pm
    ----
Thanks gents,

that will do nicely, that's a standard truck and body, I can manage that. Now, isn't there supposed to be a tractor-trailer setup there as well or are my synapses blowing smoke again?

Cheers,

Jens O.

#9: Re: Can someone (Don!) give me a history of this vehicle at Knox Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:20 pm
    ----
no tractor trailer in the museum, but they could have something in storage I guess. Don might know....

#10: Re: Can someone (Don!) give me a history of this vehicle at Author: Garry_RedmonLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:35 pm
    ----
This is what I have heard. I can't verify it to be totally complete or accurate.

The StuG III was found in a bog in Latvia. It fell through the ice at some point during the war. During the seasons as the water rose and fell, the muzzle brake and end of the tube was uncovered and exposed to the air which made it rusted and pitted while the rest of the StuG remained in the oxygen deprived muck and preserved. When it was discovered, a tow hook was place inside the cupola which tore loose and took most of the cupola and part of the roof armor. Another attempt was made when it was excavated from the bog and a T-54 ARV was used to pull it out of the bog.

When it was released from the bog, it was a veritable time capsule. Main gun ammo, MG ammo and other equipment was retrieved. I believe that personal effects and personal weapons were not found, but I don't know for sure. The crew was able to bail out before it went under as there were no human remains found. The vehicle had its zimmerit intact, but after its retrieval, it began to peel off. Most was collected in bags and sent with it to Ft. Knox. How Ft. Knox got possession and the time frame, I'm not sure. Perhaps Don can found out from the museum curator.

#11: Re: Can someone (Don!) give me a history of this vehicle at Knox Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:57 pm
    ----
thank you Garry very much, saves me a trip

#12: Re: Can someone (Don!) give me a history of this vehicle at Author: Garry_RedmonLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:26 am
    ----
You're welcome. With the current price of gas, the old slogan "Is this trip necessary?" has new meaning.

More photos of the StuG from my web site.

www.armorfortheages.co...20page.htm

#13: Re: Can someone (Don!) give me a history of this vehicle at Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:35 am
    ----
- Garry_Redmon
This is what I have heard. I can't verify it to be totally complete or accurate.

The StuG III was found in a bog in Latvia. It fell through the ice at some point during the war. During the seasons as the water rose and fell, the muzzle brake and end of the tube was uncovered and exposed to the air which made it rusted and pitted while the rest of the StuG remained in the oxygen deprived muck and preserved. When it was discovered, a tow hook was place inside the cupola which tore loose and took most of the cupola and part of the roof armor. Another attempt was made when it was excavated from the bog and a T-54 ARV was used to pull it out of the bog.

When it was released from the bog, it was a veritable time capsule. Main gun ammo, MG ammo and other equipment was retrieved. I believe that personal effects and personal weapons were not found, but I don't know for sure. The crew was able to bail out before it went under as there were no human remains found. The vehicle had its zimmerit intact, but after its retrieval, it began to peel off. Most was collected in bags and sent with it to Ft. Knox. How Ft. Knox got possession and the time frame, I'm not sure. Perhaps Don can found out from the museum curator.

The only thing I can add is a conversation I had one time with a gentleman who was present when it was 'unearthed'. There were no human remains, the crew had bailed out. The main gun was loaded and there were 50-60 rounds that had to be removed.

The roof is ripped open. It had been damaged during an early attempt to extract.

AJ: Sorry for not being a little more timely, I wanted to get some more indepth info on the StuG before answering, but got kinda sidetracked with other events.

Regards
Don

#14: Re: Can someone (Don!) give me a history of this vehicle at Knox Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:41 am
    ----
- armyjunk2
no tractor trailer in the museum, but they could have something in storage I guess. Don might know....

No 'Tractor Trailer' in the collection, that I am aware of....

Regards
Don

#15: Re: Can someone (Don!) give me a history of this vehicle at Author: Jens_O_MehnerLocation: Giessen, Germany PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:39 pm
    ----
- Dontos

No 'Tractor Trailer' in the collection, that I am aware of....

Regards
Don

Thanks Don,

methinks I confused this with another setup (possibly Ike's?) that's displayed someplace else- I want to say Fort Eustis, but I'm probably off base again. Rolling Eyes

Cheers,

Jens O.

-> AFV News Discussion Board