Some pics of the vehicles at TACOM (Warren MI)...
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Some pics of the vehicles at TACOM (Warren MI)... Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:50 pm
    ----
Shawn mailed me these pics more than 2 years ago now! I finally just got in a decent scanner - enjoy! Many thanks again to Shawn for pics of what otherwise isnt often or cant be seen...

To start off, here's the T43 (not T30 - doh!) pilot - one of four survivors

As an aside - and I just spotted these - anyone have any idea what these are?

Is that ROBAT on the far left?

Neil

Last edited by Neil_Baumgardner on Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:48 pm; edited 2 times in total

#2: Re: Some pics of the vehicles at TACOM (Warren MI)... Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:15 pm
    ----
Here's the M48 with a Shillelagh turret that was recently discovered in Armada MI

www.com-central.net/in...mp;start=0

Thats probably all for now - have to write a couple of papers.

Neil

#3: Re: Some pics of the vehicles at TACOM (Warren MI)... Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:13 pm
    ----
The T30 pilot - one of four survivors

M55

T93 to follow...

Neil

#4: Re: Some pics of the vehicles at TACOM (Warren MI)... Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:26 am
    ----
T93 gun motor carriage

Neil

#5: Re: Some pics of the vehicles at TACOM (Warren MI)... Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:47 am
    ----
Is TACOM Warren MI and Armada MI the same place? I'm not clear as to where these are, help me.

#6: Re: Some pics of the vehicles at TACOM (Warren MI)... Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:53 am
    ----
TACOM is in Warren, Michigan. The M48 with the Shillelagh turret was formerly located there - but is at the AMVETS post in Armada Michigan. Some of these vehicles are still at TACOM (FYI access is reportedly very restricted), but others are at the Center for Military History storage facility at Anniston Army Depot Alabama.

Neil

#7: Re: Some pics of the vehicles at TACOM (Warren MI)... Author: ChrisC PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:10 am
    ----
The T30 and T93 are still here, the others are alledgedly waiting to go into the National Museum of the Army, I was told the M103 may have gone to the USMC museum, but I am not sure.

Most of those pics are old, building 1 (the brick one) was torn down at least 10 years ago.

The T30 and T93 were re-painted 2 or 3 years ago and look much better, and yes, virtually impossible to get a photo of them now.

I'll have to drive up to Armada and see what the M48 Shillelagh looks like now.

#8: Re: Some pics of the vehicles at TACOM (Warren MI)... Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:44 am
    ----
Last set is of an M1 Abrams - doesnt appear to be a pilot vehicle...

Neil

#9: Re: Some pics of the vehicles at TACOM (Warren MI)... Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:11 am
    ----
After comparing to the picture in Hunnicutt's Abrams, and with Joe D's concurrence, I am about 90% certain that the vehicle on the far left is the XM1060 ROBAT. I'll add it to the register as an unconfirmed...

Now what about the other two? The middle one is very hard to make out... The right one seems to be a rather tall vehicle, sorta like one of those M75 APCs...

Neil

#10: Re: Some pics of the vehicles at TACOM (Warren MI)... Author: Geoff_walden PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:55 pm
    ----
- ChrisC
The T30 and T93 are still here, the others are alledgedly waiting to go into the National Museum of the Army, I was told the M103 may have gone to the USMC museum, but I am not sure.

Most of those pics are old, building 1 (the brick one) was torn down at least 10 years ago.

The T30 and T93 were re-painted 2 or 3 years ago and look much better, and yes, virtually impossible to get a photo of them now.

I'll have to drive up to Armada and see what the M48 Shillelagh looks like now.

Chris,

Sounds like you work at TACOM. I am a TACOM field rep, but I hardly ever get to the command.

Are those vehicles still in that lot beside the Mound Road gate (on the left, as you drive in the gate)? The last time I saw them was about 10 years ago, but there were several prototypes, including a couple XM-1 PVs. These vehicles came out of the old GD boneyard that was inside (or near) the test track on the other side of the RR tracks, when they were getting ready to shut down that side. If these vehicles are no longer there, any idea where they went?

Geof

#11: Re: Some pics of the vehicles at TACOM (Warren MI)... Author: Geoff_walden PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:59 pm
    ----
- Neil_Baumgardner
After comparing to the picture in Hunnicutt's Abrams, and with Joe D's concurrence, I am about 90% certain that the vehicle on the far left is the XM1060 ROBAT. I'll add it to the register as an unconfirmed...

Now what about the other two? The middle one is very hard to make out... The right one seems to be a rather tall vehicle, sorta like one of those M75 APCs...

Neil

Upon looking more closely, I think THIS is that lot that I'm talking about beside the Mound Road gate ... I think I remember that big whatever-it-is being among those vehicles.

Geoff

#12: Re: Some pics of the vehicles at TACOM (Warren MI)... Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:04 pm
    ----
Geoff, any luck with that XM PV info? I know, I'm being a pest Wink

Neil

#13: Re: Some pics of the vehicles at TACOM (Warren MI)... Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:30 pm
    ----
Neil,
Looking at that close up again I'm pretty sure the vehicle on the right is actually much closer to the camera than the ROBAT to the left (It's definately the ROBAT, you can see the attachment points for the MCR). With that in mind it looks like the back end of an ACE. The one in the middle looks like that mine laying trailer the Army experimented with 20 some years ago. This leads me to believe these are all Engineer vehicles. The picture is to grainy to really tell for sure.

Joe D

#14: Re: Some pics of the vehicles at TACOM (Warren MI)... Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:37 pm
    ----
The two things that yell ROBAT to me are the large-boxy superstructure/turret, with the small rectangles on top. You can also just barely see the smoke dischargers or their mounting points.

As for the one on the right, I'm not so sure its an ACE. The rear looks like it has a hatch of some type on the right, and doesnt appear to have the grillwork and is otherwise fairly different than this line drawing.

Neil

#15: Re: Some pics of the vehicles at TACOM (Warren MI)... Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:26 pm
    ----
Neil

That 'possible ACE image'....it appears to big to be an ACE. Perhaps the C2V ???? MRLS Chassis command vehicle used in the 'Force 21' AWE tests....??

Don

-> AFV News Discussion Board