Australian Leopards say goodbye
Go to page Previous  1, 2  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#16: Re: Australian Leopards say goodbye Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:31 am
    ----
- Roy_A_Lingle

Well, let me start by saying, I don't read German. But I though that site was showing the linkage as I remembered off the top of my head.
Digging out my old Jane's books (31 years old), I went back and looked up the SPZ- 12-3 (that's what it was called back then) or HS.30 as Panzer Baer now calls it. The APC version was build from 1958 to 1962.

The SPZ 12-3 was the apc version of the HS30 series the other variants were...

SPz 3-3 - RaketenJagdPanzer HS 30.
SPz 4 - KrankenWagen HS 30.
SPz 21-3 - Funkpanzer HS 30.
SPz 51-3 - Mittler Panzer Moerser.
SPz 52-3 - PanzerMöerser 120mm HS 30
SPz 81-3 - Feuerleitpanzer HS 30.

as well as the usual crop of prototypes...

The Jagdpanzer JPZ-1-3 was the HS.30 chassis mounting a 90mm cannon.
The Jagdpanzer Rakete JPZ 3-3 replaced the 90 mm cannon with a pair of SS-11 ATGM launchers.

Just in case anyone is looking in their own books and unable to locate these vehicle... depending on when your book was printed the jagdpanzers were also called...

KanoneJagdPanzer HS 30 ~ KJPz 4-5 ~ JagdPanzer 1-3
RaketenJagdPanzer HS 30 ~ RJPz 1 ~ JagdPanzer 3-3.

The KJPz 4-5 designation was used for both the HS30 & Leichte Panzer versions.. I guess they thought as the HS30 version would not be used then it was okay to recycle the designation.

I've tried to find out what the Jagdpanzer 1-2 was and I suspect its the vehicle known as the HS 30 mit 90mm Bord K (DEFA) with the 90mm in a turret

The Jagdpanzer JPZ 1-3 with the 90 mm cannon didn't stand up to the recoil of the cannon very well, so a bigger chassis was developed leading to the Jagdpanzer Kanone JPZ 4-5 and later the Jagdpanzer Raketes, again with SS-11 ATGMS. That vehicle was followed by the Jagdpanzer Jaguar 1 SP mounting HOT ATGMs. Then Jaguar 2 mounting the TOW ATGM.

A spin off of the larger chassis development to support the 90 mm cannon lead to the Marder chassis.

So as I under stand my old Jane's, all of them are related.
HS.90 > JPZ 1-3 > JPZ 3-3 > JPZ 4-5 > Raketes > Jaguar 1 > Jaguar 2.
...............................\/ > Marder. (Something I didn't know)

They are only related in that they had (practically) the same weapons systems.. other than that they had different engines, suspension, transmission, track, roadwheels etc etc. In short they were based on different vehicles. Originally the HS30 later the (so-called) Leichte Panzer Family which was a spin-off from the same prototype as the Marder - one of the RU series. Dont' ask which one as I am still trying to figure out the entire development cycle after two years.

Cool

-> AFV News Discussion Board