MultiCore Support
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> FSX

#1: MultiCore Support Author: KitformLocation: Cleveland. UK. PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 11:21 am
    ----
Microsoft are working on a Service Pack 1 to utilise the advantages of having multicore cpu's

Blog report here

#2: Re: MultiCore Support Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 11:48 am
    ----
OH OH, looks like an upgrade soon...lol

Thanks Kit!

#3: Re: MultiCore Support Author: 401RCAF_Sly PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 7:20 am
    ----
Yep and they are saying that FSX SP1 will give a 20% boost to even single core machines....

watch this space I guess Laughing

Sly

#4: Re: MultiCore Support Author: 401RCAF_JelLocation: Hiding in Sherwood Forest PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 12:36 pm
    ----
Yeee Hawwwww looks like i timed the puter upgrade just right.

Thanks for the heads up Kit

#5: Re: MultiCore Support Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:37 pm
    ----
Word on the street is it'll be mid-May when we prob'ly see it - which isn't too far in the scheme of things. And overall slight performance improvements to help out the single-core and HT CPU users as well, just not as much as the multi-core users.

#6: Re: MultiCore Support Author: Uhu_FledermausLocation: Blaricum, The Netherlands ~GMT+1 PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:41 pm
    ----
Alltough it all sounds very promising,

I have it from different, very reliable sources, that from the "beta testers" that installed "the patch", a substantial number of them got a CTD, maybe they have ironed it out, but I would approach the thing with a reserved curiosity.

Before you all go on a wild goose chase, have a look at the "read and learn" link and use the tips and updates given here when you have a Intel duo/dual-core and /or Hypertrading CPU

read and learn!

Have fun !!

fled
Cool

#7: Re: MultiCore Support Author: KitformLocation: Cleveland. UK. PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:52 pm
    ----
LOL, Fled you party pooper. Mr. Green

I think most of us understand that SP1 isn't going to be the cure for FSX to allow it to run on minimum spec machines with any degree of playability.

And...The search for max fps is a goal that seems to obsess people.

Phil Taylor sounds quite optimistic with the development of SP1 and I hope that with the release of SP1 will allow a few more pilots to run FSX.

Me...I'm quite happy with my average of 70fps on quite high settings. Smile

My only gripe, If I have one, is waiting for A/C to be truly written for FSX using DDS, FS9 A/C do work but with some querks.

#8: Re: MultiCore Support Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 3:04 pm
    ----
SP1 went to BETA-2 this weekend so there's a new version in the hands of the BETA testers as well. And from the sounds of things, I don't doubt that ACES will go to BETA-3 to get it right before releasing, I think they're as tired of the performance complaints as anyone.

Although pigs don't have 'em, I'm keepin' my fingers and toes crossed for the next few weeks......

Kitform, I'm with you but I do find a few planes that look, function and fly exceptionally well in FSX even without taking advantage of the super-new features. Airhead's Super Decathlon, a freeware plane so incredibly wonderful that it has it's own dedicated website, is sooooooo beautiful and flies so well in FSX you may not even notice the lack of bump maps etc. . I had to replace one incompatible gauge, modify the smoke slightly, and then downloaded all the repaints and made thumbnails. Just a sweet plane for low & slow flying that FSX does so well. I got all that plus some cool views added to the CFG file if you're interested.... Wink

http://airhead.hfdd.com/airworthy/04_8kcab_downloads.php

#9: Re: MultiCore Support Author: 401RCAF_Sly PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:28 am
    ----
Hey Stoopy

Any clues on modifying the smoke?

My C130 has the 4 smoke trails stacked vertically over the centre line in stead of horizontal.... I had a play with c130 smokeFX file but no luck as yet.. any pointers?

B25 briefing time works a treat Laughing

Sly

#10: Re: MultiCore Support Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:13 am
    ----
Hmmmm...I'll have to look, but I remember I just changed the line in aircraft.cfg to point to a different smoke effect. If you like, take a look in youe "Effects" folder for fx_smoke files, and try different ones. I believe I ended up using one from a different Decathlon I'd installed (kind of sweet on that particular plane). If I recall, the Long Island Classics Decathlon was that other plane.

I've also modified and created new effct files using the SDK, but will be the first one to tell you I don't know what I'm doing. More of a trial and error thing there.

EDIT: Oops. Just looked and I am on the same old default smoke - I remember now I made the change back when I was using the FSX demo, and apparently made the change to my real install. Or maybe I have it turned around and used the smoke from Airhead's Decathlon on the Long Island Classics Decathlon. Anyhoo, there are some stock smoke effects you can still try to use. Just go into your aircraft.cfg, search for "smoke", and change the effect name to another fx_smoke file you may have. I might be able to dig something up if you have no luck.....

#11: Re: MultiCore Support Author: 401RCAF_Sly PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:09 pm
    ----
Thanks stoop

Will keep digging around, if I find anything will post it here, gotta be in there somewhere lol

Thanx

Sly

#12: Re: MultiCore Support Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:33 pm
    ----
Oh you kow what?

I re-read your problem and it probably isn't with the effect file itself, it's probably just the location of the smoke effect(s), which is in the aircraft.cfg file. The effect file just describes what color, size, density, and "life" of the smoke among other things...smoke "properties" but not location.

Location is in the aircraft.cfg file. Sounds like some X-Y axis be confused. Try staring at that line in the cfg file and movin' some numbers around.....I don't have a reference to show you at the moment.

#13: Re: MultiCore Support Author: 401RCAF_Sly PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:55 pm
    ----
Yep thats the prob

The smoke effects are all there its just as if they have been rotated 90 degrees around the fuselage longditudonal (hey big word eh!... spellin crap lol) axis Laughing

Sly

#14: Re: MultiCore Support Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 3:12 pm
    ----
Hey Sly.....yesterday I was cruising the new files at Flightsim.com and noticed there is an FSX smoke package for a C-130....this could be the fix you're looking for. Suggest ya head over there and do a search?

Stoopy

#15: Re: MultiCore Support Author: 401RCAF_Sly PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 3:44 pm
    ----
Hi Stoop

Thanks for the heads up .... on my way over there Razz

let Ya know

Sly

-> FSX